Text to Voice automatically?

jleebiker

Jun 6, 2018
Visit site
One of the things I miss from Droid is that when I connected to my car, it would automatically read my incoming texts as soon as I got them. Siri can't seem to do this on her own. I was thinking about using IFTTT, but can't seem to find a suitable recipie.

Anyone know how to do this? Am I missing a setting somewhere? Thanks!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
One of the things I miss from Droid is that when I connected to my car, it would automatically read my incoming texts as soon as I got them. Siri can't seem to do this on her own. I was thinking about using IFTTT, but can't seem to find a suitable recipie.

Anyone know how to do this? Am I missing a setting somewhere? Thanks!

Just ask Siri to read you your last messages.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
As @Tartarus has stated, try having Siri read them. It's quite simple... just say "Hey Siri, read my texts". Siri will read them to you and then give you the chance to respond to each one verbally. Make sure that you have "Hey Siri" toggled on. Go to Settings>Siri & Search>Listen for "Hey Siri". The button should be green. If it's not, tap it, and you should be all set!

jleebiker

Jun 6, 2018
Visit site
Thanks all. Guess this is just going to be something I will have to get used to. I see there are new Notification options coming to iOS 12 though...

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all. Guess this is just going to be something I will have to get used to. I see there are new Notification options coming to iOS 12 though...

Think about this: you’re driving, it’s quiet in the car, you’re concentrated on the road and such and suddenly a weird voice is starting to read out text messages aloud. I’d be scared out of my mind.

And most importantly, when a message arrives is not always the right time for it to be read out aloud. I’ll listen to it at my own convenience.

jleebiker

Jun 6, 2018
Visit site
Think about this: you’re driving, it’s quiet in the car, you’re concentrated on the road and such and suddenly a weird voice is starting to read out text messages aloud. I’d be scared out of my mind.

And most importantly, when a message arrives is not always the right time for it to be read out aloud. I’ll listen to it at my own convenience.

Don't knock it till you try it. ;-)

1) My car is hardly EVER quiet.
2) When connected to my droid, Here's what happens. a) Music is playing. b) Text is received. c) Car audio chirps as a notice and music is muted. d) Voice announces "Message received from <Person's name>, would you like to read it? e) I reply yes or no. e1) If yes, voice reads text. e2) If no, music in restored.

It's a pretty simple process and one that let's you interact and chose if you want it read then or not.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Don't knock it till you try it. ;-)

1) My car is hardly EVER quiet.
2) When connected to my droid, Here's what happens. a) Music is playing. b) Text is received. c) Car audio chirps as a notice and music is muted. d) Voice announces "Message received from <Person's name>, would you like to read it? e) I reply yes or no. e1) If yes, voice reads text. e2) If no, music in restored.

It's a pretty simple process and one that let's you interact and chose if you want it read then or not.

Okay, this makes sense now. But still, since I have never been used to it, I don’t miss the feature.
And who knows, maybe Apple will incorporate such a feature in a future update.