iPhone 8 Taptic Engine Noise

anon(5274906)

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi there,
From time to time, my iPhone 8 makes a strange noise when it vibrates. It could be described as a cracking noise. It's not reproducible, but it appears a few times a day. Sometimes when a message comes in on any app, sometimes just when pressing the home button. I'll try to record it when I have more time on my hands. It's very short and after it happens, it doesn't happen again during the next few vibration-alerts.

Have any of you experienced this as well? Apple recommended me to reset my device, which I would like to avoid at the moment.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Are you using a loose fitting case or have it set on an uneven surface?

If it was a hardware issue it would happen more often

anon(5274906)

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
No, I'm not using a case at all and it happens when I'm holding it. It really does sound like a hardware issue. It has never been exposed to water either. The weird thing really is - as you say - that it isn't consistent.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
This happens to me sometimes with my 8. It seems to happen randomly when multiple notifications come in back to back. I never took it to Apple or even thought to say anything in the forums because it’s really random & I usually forget about it, until it happens again.

anon(5274906)

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I took my phone to the Apple Store on Monday and they replaced the taptic enginge which didn't fix the problem. On Thursday I went in again and they swapped it for a new one which works flawlessly.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh