Why all the interest and excitement over wireless charging? From the bits I have read, it's harder on batteries and will cause the battery to degrade quicker due to the inefficiency/heat creation of the wireless charging pad.

Just for the sake of convenience? What else am I missing?

Thanks.
    01-05-2018 09:43 AM
    Hello and welcome to iMore. You might want to take a chance and introduce yourself by following this link!

As for your question about wireless charging being bad, I can't answer, but I will follow this thread with great interest since I've recently started using a qi charger!
    01-05-2018 10:06 AM
    You won't have any worries with a quality charging pad, is my understanding from what I've read.
    01-05-2018 11:06 AM
    Why all the interest and excitement over wireless charging? From the bits I have read, it's harder on batteries and will cause the battery to degrade quicker due to the inefficiency/heat creation of the wireless charging pad.

Just for the sake of convenience? What else am I missing?

Thanks.
    Everything I've read says there is nothing to worry about and any differences, if they exist, are negligible. I'd be open to reading any information you may have to the contrary though.

I have read that Qi chargers can encourage charging practices that can cause earlier degradation of the batteries. For example, continuously charging your battery when that charge isn't needed can mess with the charge cycles and cause sooner degradation to the battery. The ease of Qi charging could encourage people to place their phone on the charger when it's not actually needed. But aside from that, I haven't read anything that points towards a larger problem.
    01-05-2018 12:40 PM
    From what I know, there’s nothing to worry about wireless charging.
    01-05-2018 06:45 PM
    Everything I've read says there is nothing to worry about and any differences, if they exist, are negligible. I'd be open to reading any information you may have to the contrary though.

I have read that Qi chargers can encourage charging practices that can cause earlier degradation of the batteries. For example, continuously charging your battery when that charge isn't needed can mess with the charge cycles and cause sooner degradation to the battery. The ease of Qi charging could encourage people to place their phone on the charger when it's not actually needed. But aside from that, I haven't read anything that points towards a larger problem.
    Great, thanks for this too.
    01-08-2018 12:01 AM
    You won't have any worries with a quality charging pad, is my understanding from what I've read.
    Do you happen to have the link to the article? I'd like to read it. Thank you.
    01-08-2018 12:03 AM
    If you use an Apple recommended pad, there would be no worries. A big reason why I bought the Belkin from the apple store.
    01-08-2018 12:24 AM
    Do you happen to have the link to the article? I'd like to read it. Thank you.
    https://medium.com/@china_electronic...k-9001149e20cf
    01-09-2018 02:59 PM
    Unfortunately I cannot answer from the Apple side, but when I was on Android (Nexus 6) I never had issues with wireless charging and the phone and battery never had any issues. I had that device a little over 2 years and charged it every night.
    01-09-2018 03:34 PM
    Thanks for this. So, looks like the heat problem is not much of a concern any longer with modern certified chargers. That's good to know.
    01-10-2018 11:08 PM
    Haven't had any issues. I use the Samsung 3rd Feb for my note 8 & my wife uses it sometimes w her iPhone X. I have a $20 one I bought at Walmart I use in my man cave that makes the phones a little warm but I believe that's common.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    01-11-2018 04:21 AM
    I'm not sure about good and bad. The most important things for me is to charge my phone anywhere. And wirelss charger helps me to do that. Overall, I am happy.
    Annie_8plus likes this.
    01-11-2018 08:50 AM
    I have had 4 phones with Qi charging ability going back to the Nokia 920 windows phone. I have also had 2 androids and now my iPhone 8. I love it and have never experienced any battery issues that I would not have experienced by plugging it in.
    01-15-2018 07:09 AM
    Just like cables having to be mifi certified, I'm sure a quality charger won't hurt your battery and you'll get the same amount of charges and charged time as you would with a cable. Just because it's new does t mean it's bad.
    01-15-2018 05:38 PM
    Thanks everyone
    01-15-2018 11:08 PM