Has anyone gone from the iPhone X to an iPhone 8?

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually debating between these two phones right now. I had an X and returned it when the unlocked version came out, but I haven't bought another yet. The 8 would be almost $400 cheaper after taxes and everything, and I can't decide if the X is worth that extra. I did like the telephoto lens, but I didn't use it THAT much. And I really liked how Face ID allowed me to use GBoard from the lock screen on quick replies (doesn't work on a phone with Touch ID). But other than that, I think an 8 would hold me over until fall. But I'm also the kind of person that really likes having the so-called "greatest". So I don't know what to do.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm actually debating between these two phones right now. I had an X and returned it when the unlocked version came out, but I haven't bought another yet. The 8 would be almost $400 cheaper after taxes and everything, and I can't decide if the X is worth that extra. I did like the telephoto lens, but I didn't use it THAT much. And I really liked how Face ID allowed me to use GBoard from the lock screen on quick replies (doesn't work on a phone with Touch ID). But other than that, I think an 8 would hold me over until fall. But I'm also the kind of person that really likes having the so-called "greatest". So I don't know what to do.

Get both?
Or you can simply use the 8 and wait until September. If you want the “new” experience now, then get the X.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I asked my service writer this question last week and he said he loves his x and wouldn't go back to an 8. He just loves the swiping aspect of the os.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Bet you notice the bigger battery on the 8 plus? I am finding the X battery average, probably similar to to the 8.

I find the X to be better than my 7 Plus. I do notice a 10-25% improvements in terms of battery life when comparing the 8 Plus to the X.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I got my son a 8 today using our house insurance claim, 6S got smashed, spent some time setting it up, I had a 8 before the X.
No way I could go back to a phone with a home button, and those that say the screen size is not much difference are kidding themselves, and the OLED v LCD oh man.
No going back for me.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I got my son a 8 today using our house insurance claim, 6S got smashed, spent some time setting it up, I had a 8 before the X.
No way I could go back to a phone with a home button, and those that say the screen size is not much difference are kidding themselves, and the OLED v LCD oh man.
No going back for me.

The OLED is fine but I just don’t see it as night and day over the Apple’s LCDs. I know blacks are blacker and all but I don’t do too much on my phones hat have black backgrounds anyways. The extra space though. That’s nice.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
The OLED is fine but I just don’t see it as night and day over the Apple’s LCDs. I know blacks are blacker and all but I don’t do too much on my phones hat have black backgrounds anyways. The extra space though. That’s nice.

It's more the apps and text just pop on the screen. Maybe not as noticeable 8 plus v X.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It's more the apps and text just pop on the screen. Maybe not as noticeable 8 plus v X.

I only noticed a difference when displaying the same image on my 6s and X but it’s not night and day. Colours are slightly more saturated and appealing on the X.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I only noticed a difference when displaying the same image on my 6s and X but it’s not night and day. Colours are slightly more saturated and appealing on the X.

I spent the day yesterday with a 6S-8 and my X and IMO its more than slightly more.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I don't think that moving from the X to the 8+ is moving DOWN.. I know that you can quote specs that would say otherwise, but, I feel it is a lateral move. There are pros and cons to both and it is very subjective and a personal opinion.

I moved to the X from the 8+ and it is still very new and exciting, there has been times that I miss the reliability and the familiarity of the 8+.... I am not sure which way I will end up, but I really feel strongly that it isn't a step down

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I believe screens on Samsung phones are more vibrant.

Yep, Samsung’s OLED displays are very saturated which a lot of consumers find it to be pleasing. However, those colors are not the most accurate when looking at photos or videos.

I’ve always enjoyed Samsung’s displays, they are amazing indeed.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Yep, Samsung’s OLED displays are very saturated which a lot of consumers find it to be pleasing. However, those colors are not the most accurate when looking at photos or videos.

I’ve always enjoyed Samsung’s displays, they are amazing indeed.

I’ve read that too but never felt that the photos or video looked strange on a Samsung phone. I wasn’t knocking the X’s display which is likely one of the best available.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
oohhhh... I wish i had one of those..

if you don't mind me asking, which has a better camera, iPhone 7 or 8 ???

10376eed283928e49e83909292a32703.jpg