Has anyone gone from the iPhone X to an iPhone 8?

tanknitrous

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm going on about 2 weeks with the X, and I can't sugarcoat this despite others' apparent happiness with it...I just don't like it. I hate Face ID. Touch ID is better, and I'm glad others seem to like it, but I don't. It's not that it fails a lot or anything, it's just not nearly as intuitive as Touch. Just my opinion.
-The screen, very nice, but not WOW, I'll never see anything like this ever again good.
-The size is nice, but, if you have a case on it, which, if you're smart you do, you can't reach the upper corners unless you have huge hands. Mine are pretty big, and I have to use 2, or readjust significantly to reach the top to swipe down.
-Reachability...near worthless on here. Once you've perfected the motion down from the little home line thingy, you have to pay attention to do it every time.

...and I could go on. So, I think I'm going with a regular iPhone 8. My question is this, for anyone that did the same thing....the width of the keyboard as compared to the X....is it a huge difference? Thanks.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anyone go from the X to iPhone 8?

The longer I have my X, the more I realize that there is absolutely nothing on the X that I would miss if I went to an 8/8 Plus. That said, there is nothing about the X that I dislike enough to move down to an 8/8 Plus. Compared to my wife's 8, I don't think you'll notice a huge change in size. There are some sacrifices made with the X compared to the 8 Plus. I don't notice a large difference between the 8 and the X, personally.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

No way I could got back to an 8. I unloaded my 8 right after I got the X and don’t miss the 8 one bit.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I’m very happy with the X and would never go back down to the 8.
I now use both my X and my old 7 Plus daily. I wouldn’t mind using the 8 or the 8 Plus alongside the X.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site

I tried my 8 today, after~2 weeks with the X. Have to say that I felt cramped for the first few hours, although, surprisingly, many sites and apps look smaller on the X when you compare them side by side. Apparently, the longer display of the X gives a more free feeling.... However, I got used back to the 8 rather quickly and there is certainly not a lot that the X brings to the table, considering the enormous price tag.
I still don't know what to do, can't really find enough compelling reasons to talk me into keeping the X.... The best choice overall would be the 8 plus, imho, except size and weight.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I tried my 8 today, after~2 weeks with the X. Have to say that I felt cramped for the first few hours, although, surprisingly, many sites and apps look smaller on the X when you compare them side by side. Apparently, the longer display of the X gives a more free feeling.... However, I got used back to the 8 rather quickly and there is certainly not a lot that the X brings to the table, considering the enormous price tag.
I still don't know what to do, can't really find enough compelling reasons to talk me into keeping the X.... The best choice overall would be the 8 plus, imho, except size and weight.

Why not use both?

I’m using my X and my old 7 Plus. After using my 7 Plus again after two days, I forgot how much I love it. I’m now tempted to get the 8 Plus :p

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

I'm not gonna say I couldn't go back to the 8/8 Plus. I could, but I wouldn't want to. It's mostly because the bezels more than anything else. They look almost claustrophobic after using both the X and S8+.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So, I'm going on about 2 weeks with the X, and I can't sugarcoat this despite others' apparent happiness with it...I just don't like it. I hate Face ID. Touch ID is better, and I'm glad others seem to like it, but I don't. It's not that it fails a lot or anything, it's just not nearly as intuitive as Touch. Just my opinion.
-The screen, very nice, but not WOW, I'll never see anything like this ever again good.
-The size is nice, but, if you have a case on it, which, if you're smart you do, you can't reach the upper corners unless you have huge hands. Mine are pretty big, and I have to use 2, or readjust significantly to reach the top to swipe down.
-Reachability...near worthless on here. Once you've perfected the motion down from the little home line thingy, you have to pay attention to do it every time.

...and I could go on. So, I think I'm going with a regular iPhone 8. My question is this, for anyone that did the same thing....the width of the keyboard as compared to the X....is it a huge difference? Thanks.

I have both devices and I can get by easily with either of them. Having said that, if you think the iPhone 8 is best suited for you then use it and be happy. I’m actually going to use my iPhone 8 today and give my iPhone X a break. Anyway, enjoy your iPhone 8....

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It's not that it fails a lot or anything, it's just not nearly as intuitive as Touch. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I share this opinion.

I don't think you'd be alone in going from an X to an 8 because I can just see a lot of people doing that. I have an X and 8 Plus but use the 8 Plus about 90% of the time.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I share this opinion.

I don't think you'd be alone in going from an X to an 8 because I can just see a lot of people doing that. I have an X and 8 Plus but use the 8 Plus about 90% of the time.

Do you use your 8 Plus alongside your X?
I’ve been thinking of upgrading my 7 Plus to the 8 Plus. It sure is nice to have the X and the 8 Plus due to its wider screen.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Do you use your 8 Plus alongside your X?
I’ve been thinking of upgrading my 7 Plus to the 8 Plus. It sure is nice to have the X and the 8 Plus due to its wider screen.

Sometimes, but not really on a daily basis. The 8 Plus is still a dream to type on because of the wider screen.

TravelDreamFamily

Jan 15, 2018
Visit site
I just gave my iPhone X to my employee and bought the 8plus, I did not like the new screen size, it was supposed to be the same but to me the slight difference in width makes a Hugh difference for me typing and I have been use to the plus size already and the only real reason I traded up was for the camera because I had a 6s plus but I believe there isn't much difference in the camera between the 8 and the X so I guess the next few weeks will tell.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I’ve been using the 8 Plus alongside by X, and it’s a great device. I don’t notice a lot of difference except for the design. I still prefer the wider screen and battery life of the Plus.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I just went from the 9+ to the X. I don't think I would go back to a lesser iPhone. I just like how it reels and runs.

I had the 6S+, 7+ before the 8+. I will say that if the X did not exist, the 8+ would be a great daily driver as well but the X does exist.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox