Question about iCloud backups

MBM7881

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I have a question about iCloud and backups. I have an iPhone 8 from an iPhone 7. I did a backup of my 7 on my computer but couldn’t restore it on my 8 because the iOS on my 8 was an older version. I had the beta version on my 7. I did the beta on my 8 and was able to restore but I don’t like the betas. My battery life dies way too fast. If I do an iCloud backup on my iPhone 8 and factory reset my 8, will the iOS revert back to the official release? Also will be able to use the iCloud backup to restore my phone without having to add the beta back? My biggest concern is losing my pictures. I just want to be able to restore my phone exactly how I have it now without having to download the beta iOS to my phone. That was the issue trying to restore my iPhone 8 using the back up on my computer that had the iOS beta version. I hope I’m making sense. Thank you so much.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Happy thanksgiving
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I have a question about iCloud and backups. I have an iPhone 8 from an iPhone 7. I did a backup of my 7 on my computer but couldn’t restore it on my 8 because the iOS on my 8 was an older version. I had the beta version on my 7. I did the beta on my 8 and was able to restore but I don’t like the betas. My battery life dies way too fast. If I do an iCloud backup on my iPhone 8 and factory reset my 8, will the iOS revert back to the official release?
Here is an iMore tutorial on how to do this:
https://www.imore.com/how-update-ios-beta-official-release

Also will be able to use the iCloud backup to restore my phone without having to add the beta back?
This is only possible if the official release has a higher build number than the Beta version you were running.

My biggest concern is losing my pictures.
If you had iCloud Photo Library enabled, you won’t lose them, regardless of restoring from a backup or starting from scratch.
I just want to be able to restore my phone exactly how I have it now without having to download the beta iOS to my phone. That was the issue trying to restore my iPhone 8 using the back up on my computer that had the iOS beta version. I hope I’m making sense. Thank you so much.

Yes, everything you asked, makes sense, no worries there.

If you follow above steps, you’ll be able to run official releases instead of Betas.

I hope everything was clear. If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

MBM7881

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
Happy thanksgiving
Here is an iMore tutorial on how to do this:
https://www.imore.com/how-update-ios-beta-official-release

This is only possible if the official release has a higher build number than the Beta version you were running.

If you had iCloud Photo Library enabled, you won’t lose them, regardless of restoring from a backup or starting from scratch.

Yes, everything you asked, makes sense, no worries there.

If you follow above steps, you’ll be able to run official releases instead of Betas.

I hope everything was clear. If you have any further questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

I want to make sure I understand you. You’re saying I can’t restore my phone with the backup from iCloud because it’s “tied” with the beta iOS. In other words regardless of whether I restore from my computer or iCloud, I’ll have no choice but to have my phone with the beta iOS.

MBM7881

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
I just don’t want to go through the hassle and time of wiping my iPhone 8 to just then not be able to restore it from the iCloud backup because my 8 iOS version is too old for the backup.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I want to make sure I understand you. You’re saying I can’t restore my phone with the backup from iCloud because it’s “tied” with the beta iOS. In other words regardless of whether I restore from my computer or iCloud, I’ll have no choice but to have my phone with the beta iOS.

I just don’t want to go through the hassle and time of wiping my iPhone 8 to just then not be able to restore it from the iCloud backup because my 8 iOS version is too old for the backup.

No that’s not what I’m saying.
I’m just saying that a backup has to be restored to the same version build or a higher build.

In other words, it’s not possible to restore from a backup that was taken on iOS 11.1.3 to iOS 11.1.2.
This is regardless of beta or not beta.

No need for wiping and setting up as new.

MBM7881

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
No that’s not what I’m saying.
I’m just saying that a backup has to be restored to the same version build or a higher build.

In other words, it’s not possible to restore from a backup that was taken on iOS 11.1.3 to iOS 11.1.2.
This is regardless of beta or not beta.

No need for wiping and setting up as new.

See that’s exactly what I thought too but Apple said otherwise. I’m glad I came here to ask. Thank you! I hope your Thanksgiving is amazing