iPhone 8 or 8+ for video quality?

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks. I have been quite happy with my iPhone 6 the last few years. But now the battery is not what it used to be and I need to upgrade. I am in a quandary between the 8 and 8+.

I really detest the huge size of the 8+. This was the reason I had opted for the original iPhone 6. I would love to get the new iPhone 8 but I am not sure whether it has the same video quality as the 8+? Basically can any of you tell me whether there is any difference while recording videos in the two devices. I will mostly shoot videos so that is the key factor to me.

I understand about the 8 missing out on portrait mode and I am fine with it. My concern is the video quality. Thanks for your suggestions!

Cheers.

darius_robin

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Both use the exact same sensor and therefore have the exact same video and image quality.

Whichever you go for, enjoy your new device!

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Both use the exact same sensor and therefore have the exact same video and image quality.

Whichever you go for, enjoy your new device!

Thanks Darius. But what about the telephoto lens? Does it not make any difference in image and video quality, apart from zoom?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi folks. I have been quite happy with my iPhone 6 the last few years. But now the battery is not what it used to be and I need to upgrade. I am in a quandary between the 8 and 8+.

I really detest the huge size of the 8+. This was the reason I had opted for the original iPhone 6. I would love to get the new iPhone 8 but I am not sure whether it has the same video quality as the 8+? Basically can any of you tell me whether there is any difference while recording videos in the two devices. I will mostly shoot videos so that is the key factor to me.

I understand about the 8 missing out on portrait mode and I am fine with it. My concern is the video quality. Thanks for your suggestions!

Cheers.

I still have the iPhone 8 and I think you’ll be quite pleased with the video quality.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I still have the iPhone 8 and I think you’ll be quite pleased with the video quality.

Great. So unless I’m zooming, there is no difference in video between the 8 and plus?

Also, in photos does the 8+ capture more real estate? As in, are the photos wider?

tnt4

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
Resurrecting this! I have an 8+ and 8 right now and I'm trying to see the benefits of the dual camera system. Honestly, unless I wanted to use portrait mode all the time (which can be mimicked with 3rd party apps), I'm not seeing that big of a benefit. The optical zoom doesn't seem to make that big of a difference because the shots are not stabilized anyway, so there's a higher chance of some slight motion blur vs. the regular 8 where a digitally zoomed shot, while "cropped", will be more crisp. If that makes sense? It just seems in day to day use there's not a big benefit to the optical zoom ability, unless I'm missing something...

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Great insight. My sister has the 7+ and when I see her photos they just appear to capture so much more detail and real estate compared to my 6. So it gave birth to this impression that perhaps the + models capture greater detail. Which is why I suppose I wanted to confirm there is no discernible difference in video quality between the 8 and 8+.

Photos don't look much different between your two phones eh?

darius_robin

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Great insight. My sister has the 7+ and when I see her photos they just appear to capture so much more detail and real estate compared to my 6. So it gave birth to this impression that perhaps the + models capture greater detail. Which is why I suppose I wanted to confirm there is no discernible difference in video quality between the 8 and 8+.

Photos don't look much different between your two phones eh?

They may look different because of the difference in screen size. But in the end, both phones perform the same in the camera department, with the only difference being optical zoom and Portrait mode.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
They may look different because of the difference in screen size. But in the end, both phones perform the same in the camera department, with the only difference being optical zoom and Portrait mode.

Good to know. I simply HATE the plus size. Are there reliable third party apps to get portrait photos on the 8?

darius_robin

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Good to know. I simply HATE the plus size. Are there reliable third party apps to get portrait photos on the 8?

Actually, no. Portrait mode requires the second telephoto lens, which the 8 Plus has. So there are no third-party apps that can workaround the issue.

tnt4

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
I've tried a couple of different "bokeh" apps but they don't work well and are very tedious if you're trying to be pinpoint accurate on the foreground vs background.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I've tried a couple of different "bokeh" apps but they don't work well and are very tedious if you're trying to be pinpoint accurate on the foreground vs background.

That’s disappointing. Probably will have to get the + for all the perks. But that size is just terrible.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Actually, no. Portrait mode requires the second telephoto lens, which the 8 Plus has. So there are no third-party apps that can workaround the issue.

There are some apps that do depth of field (portrait mode) editing. I haven't used them. I make pretty decent depth of field photos using the blur tool in the Facetune app on my 6s Plus.

darius_robin

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
There are some apps that do depth of field (portrait mode) editing. I haven't used them. I make pretty decent depth of field photos using the blur tool in the Facetune app on my 6s Plus.

I meant "true" Portrait mode. You know, "actual" depth of field using the telephoto lens.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro