iPhone 7 selling better than 8

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple doesn’t release unit sales numbers so nobody knows for sure how many iPhone 8s have sold. That said, the company saw a big spike in Q4 sales that would indicate iPhone 8 isn’t selling as terribly as many sources would lead us to believe.

i think because of the price

Newly released iPhones have always sold better than older models, regardless of price. This is due more to early adopters buying the iPhone X and not the 8. That said, I don’t think iPhone 8 sales have peaked yet. This is going to be the go-to phone for everyday users. They’re usually not concerned about getting their new iPhone on release day. They’ll wait until the holidays, their birthdays, when their existing phone really needs to be replaced, etc. They likely won’t want to pay the steep price of the iPhone X.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Report: iPhone 7 outsold iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus combined last quarter
http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.HQdVl

So the iPhone 8 that shipped on September 22, a week before the end of the quarter, sold less than the iPhone 7 that had an entire quarter to sell.
Where exactly did they get the unit sales numbers that Apple never discloses? I’m sorry, but this article is garbage.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
So the iPhone 8 that shipped on September 22, a week before the end of the quarter, sold less than the iPhone 7 that had an entire quarter to sell.
Where exactly did they get the unit sales numbers that Apple never discloses? I’m sorry, but this article is garbage.

First paragraph states it, shipment data and surveys. Stores,sellers/outlets that buy or sell devices FROM Apple likely release their own shipment numbers.

They always knew that the iPhone 5C didn’t sell well when compared to the 5S. How did they know that?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
First paragraph states it, shipment data and surveys. Stores,sellers/outlets that buy or sell devices FROM Apple likely release their own shipment numbers.

They always knew that the iPhone 5C didn’t sell well when compared to the 5S. How did they know that?

It is and will always be speculating.

Apple Stores sell also devices. One year people get them via their carriers, other year directly from the Apple Stores.

There is no telling what the reason is for more or lesser sold devices in any given year.
Apple themselves are the only ones with a complete view on their sales.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
It is and will always be speculating.

Apple Stores sell also devices. One year people get them via their carriers, other year directly from the Apple Stores.

There is no telling what the reason is for more or lesser sold devices in any given year.
Apple themselves are the only ones with a complete view on their sales.

So what’s the point in reading ANY tech articles then? How can they make statements that one sells more than the other or one is more popular than another model? How do they know that Samsung sells more phones than Apple and then 2 years later they say the opposite? How did they know that the 5C sold less than the 5S in North America but in Britain they knew that the 5C sold well? I don’t believe EVERYTHING is fake news, not when multiple sources are saying the same thing. They clearly stated their methods for acquiring the information and that is basically all we have to go by.

What is so threatening in thinking that one model of an Apple product might not be off to a roaring start in sales? Who are we to judge this if WE OURSELVES are not making thousands of phone calls, checking outlet sales records to see what is moving in sales or what isn’t? These articles are summing up that the 7 is selling well and why wouldn’t it be? Deals are good right now and many do not just jump on the newest device, they are like myself and get a device that is several months out before the new one is announced. This is cost effective and will be plenty fast for years to come.

Sorry but I don’t just shrug information off just because it might go against my strong personal feelings on a topic that is “close to home.”

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site

Actually NO, the point of the article is that the 7 is still selling BETTER than the 8.

Bam, there it is.

I will take the surveys and market sales numbers over your speculation.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
So what’s the point in reading ANY tech articles then? How can they make statements that one sells more than the other or one is more popular than another model? How do they know that Samsung sells more phones than Apple and then 2 years later they say the opposite? How did they know that the 5C sold less than the 5S in North America but in Britain they knew that the 5C sold well? I don’t believe EVERYTHING is fake news, not when multiple sources are saying the same thing. They clearly stated their methods for acquiring the information and that is basically all we have to go by.

What is so threatening in thinking that one model of an Apple product might not be off to a roaring start in sales? Who are we to judge this if WE OURSELVES are not making thousands of phone calls, checking outlet sales records to see what is moving in sales or what isn’t? These articles are summing up that the 7 is selling well and why wouldn’t it be? Deals are good right now and many do not just jump on the newest device, they are like myself and get a device that is several months out before the new one is announced. This is cost effective and will be plenty fast for years to come.

Sorry but I don’t just shrug information off just because it might go against my strong personal feelings on a topic that is “close to home.”

Actually NO, the point of the article is that the 7 is still selling BETTER than the 8.

Bam, there it is.

Well, that article is outdated between the time it got posted and now.

All I wanted to point out is that not all articles are based on the truth.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Well, that article is outdated between the time it got posted and now.

All I wanted to point out is that not all articles are based on the truth.

And not all “thoughts and beliefs” are true either, no matter how strongly we feel about them.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

Bam, there it is.

I’m not doubting that the iPhone 7 sold more units in the entire third quarter than the iPhone 8 did in the eight days it was on the market during the same quarter. I’m just saying that the data is shoddy at best. It doesn’t provide a level playing field. I work in finance. I literally analyze data on a daily basis. The article you referred to provides a very weak argument.
That’s all I’m saying. We’ll see how sales stack up this quarter but I’d be shocked if more people are buying last year’s models more than the current models.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
b6c9c56392b169df7ab92f188550c81f.jpg

2faee51b6b10d7b1e0358581442fd8cd.jpg

Now seeing deals like this for the 8 and X so I am sure sales will climb.

MelCali82

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
X is to different (gestures) yet 8 is newest hardware for me.

I briefly played with a X yesterday at Rogers, right before the alarm went off because I tried to pick it up and they had it on a much shorter leash than the 8 right beside it :p. So while the girl was getting the key to deactivate the alarm, I played with the gestures and I am not a fan. It’s reasons like this that I picked the Blackberry 9900 over the Q10 (2 years ago this month). I like the Home Button but I think the 8 might be the last home buttoned iPhone. Perhaps the new SE2 will have a home button but I think it is safe to assume Apple will be pushing their Face ID on other devices soon.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I briefly played with a X yesterday at Rogers, right before the alarm went off because I tried to pick it up and they had it on a much shorter leash than the 8 right beside it :p. So while the girl was getting the key to deactivate the alarm, I played with the gestures and I am not a fan. It’s reasons like this that I picked the Blackberry 9900 over the Q10 (2 years ago this month). I like the Home Button but I think the 8 might be the last home buttoned iPhone. Perhaps the new SE2 will have a home button but I think it is safe to assume Apple will be pushing their Face ID on other devices soon.

I think so too.
It seems like the current design of the X will be the future design for the upcoming iPhones.