iPhone 7 selling better than 8

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
This. Updates like force touch, better cameras, portrait mode, faster processors to handle the increased demands of iOS, etc. Not to mention people moving to bigger screens.

Have they been major updates? No, but the incremental updates have been enough. And for someone with an aging phone (like my 6s), you're ready for a new one. Could probably just put a new battery in and be fine but I'm looking forward to a bigger screen, better camera, and portrait mode.

How is the battery in your 6S? On my 5C I would have it die around 18% charge remaining so I knew it was time for a new battery but I was nervous at first to leave it overnight because I could not get an official Apple logo'd battery, it was made in China. It would get pretty hot the first couple weeks but then seemed to settle. The electronics repair place told me that even the Apple original batteries are made in China however I have read that some aftermarket batteries may have thinner walls on the battery housing and there can be issues over rupture or leakage eventually. This is why Apple probably carefully hand picks what will go into all their devices to avoid something like the Note 5 fiasco.

Still for the last 6 months that I had it with the new battery it was great, but then the processor really started to show its age, and it becomes a test of patience to perform basic tasks.

My iPhone batteries get a workout because I have to charge 2/3 times a day and I am hoping the 7 will go the full 2 years that my contract is in effect.

dcunited08

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Another reason I don't believe your theory 100% is because the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s were released on the same day and in some countries the iPhone 5c sold more than any other phone including the 5S, like Britain for example. Britain is not exactly a poor country either.

https://9to5mac.com/2014/10/01/iphone-5c-best-selling-phone/amp/

And now if you go to a country like the US, the iPhone 5s sold over three times as many devices as the 5C. So it's not exactly easy to pin down what the causes are for this phenomenon. That is why I say there are many possible reasons.

Never say never.

When the 5C came out, it was a replacement for the 5 so it was the 'last-year's' model for the 5S. In some demographics it outsold the 5S like the 7 is rumored to be outselling the 8. The added difference this time is the overall number of iPhones being purchased seems down and we have this year's flagship coming out several weeks after the usually-priced model. Imagine if when the 5C and 5S were announced, Apple also announced the 6 and then began selling it one month later.

This doesn't explain every sale by any means. Some people dropped their phone last week and happily bought the 8 as a replacement. Others want a new phone but do not like a certain feature or the price of the X. Still others just want a new phone now rather than waiting months for the latest and greatest.

I do not thing Apple is on the verge of failing or is in decline but I find it interesting to discuss and understand the market forces that are happening due to their unique lineup this year. It will probably be an odd year as far as iPhone sales go. Will they keep the same plan next year? Even if they do, I think buyers will start seeing it as the new normal and act accordingly.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
When the 5C came out, it was a replacement for the 5 so it was the 'last-year's' model for the 5S. In some demographics it outsold the 5S like the 7 is rumored to be outselling the 8. The added difference this time is the overall number of iPhones being purchased seems down and we have this year's flagship coming out several weeks after the usually-priced model. Imagine if when the 5C and 5S were announced, Apple also announced the 6 and then began selling it one month later.

This doesn't explain every sale by any means. Some people dropped their phone last week and happily bought the 8 as a replacement. Others want a new phone but do not like a certain feature or the price of the X. Still others just want a new phone now rather than waiting months for the latest and greatest.

I do not thing Apple is on the verge of failing or is in decline but I find it interesting to discuss and understand the market forces that are happening due to their unique lineup this year. It will probably be an odd year as far as iPhone sales go. Will they keep the same plan next year? Even if they do, I think buyers will start seeing it as the new normal and act accordingly.

You said because they were released "at the same time" it will "live in the shadows" so the 5C argument is legit. Because many tech writers have speculated that the iPhone 8 is actually just a 7S in disguise.

de78c71670cffc62a017d15c493b03f8.jpg

"That doesn't explain every sale by any means"....

...and that is WHY I have repeatedly stated "there are MANY factors" and never just one.

I do not think it is Doom and Gloom either (certainly not right now) but then I never thought I would see the day GM would fail either being as BIG as they are! So when the media reports that Apple lost 3% and considering how huge they are, it is a substantial sum of money. And it is very interesting to some people. You have to realize that ANY company can eventually FAIL. Look at Blackberry, just 8-10 years ago they were on top of the world.

Never say "NEVER"

Quite simply, Apple has to move their 8's because there is going to be a shortage of x's. I don't know how much more clear I can state it, and I am not the only one who reads tech news.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/19/iphone-8-production-cut-50-claim/amp/

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...x-shipments-half-even-wozniak-turns-skeptical

We have also seen many sources say that the top 7 was cut to boost 8 sales. BAM! I think you are having an issue accepting this as one of the POSSIBLE reasons....
6b5a90e3e5abe98aef0ccd7c374ea3ca.jpg

Last edited:

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Some people dropped their phone last week and happily bought the 8 as a replacement. Others want a new phone but do not like a certain feature or the price of the X. Still others just want a new phone now rather than waiting months for the latest and greatest.

Of course, I never debated this.

dcunited08

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
(edited for brevity)
Quite simply, Apple has to move their 8's because there is going to be a shortage of x's. I don't know how much more clear I can state it, and I am not the only one who reads tech news.

We have also seen many sources say that the top 7 was cut to boost 8 sales. BAM! I think you are having an issue accepting this as one of the POSSIBLE reasons....//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171025/6b5a90e3e5abe98aef0ccd7c374ea3ca.jpg

I have no issue saying the remove of the 256GB iPhone 7 is partially to push the iPhone 8, I am only saying they have a habit of thinning the number of storage options even when they were not having trouble pushing the new model:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_6S#Timeline_of_models

The supposed fact they are having trouble selling the 8 and making the X will make it difficult to meet sales expectations until next cycle. I think we both agree on that.

I hope next year they will have a device they can produce in sufficient quantities in the iPhone 8's price range that has many of the X's features.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I hope next year they will have a device they can produce in sufficient quantities in the iPhone 8's price range that has many of the X's features.

Isn’t that the iPhone 8, 8 Plus? Outside of Face ID and frontside camera being a TrueDepth camera, display screen. Both the 8s and the X support Dolby Vision and HDR10 content. The processors are the same. The backside cameras are mostly the same between the X and 8 Plus. There really isn’t much difference.

dcunited08

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Isn’t that the iPhone 8, 8 Plus? Outside of Face ID and frontside camera being a TrueDepth camera, display screen. Both the 8s and the X support Dolby Vision and HDR10 content. The processors are the same. The backside cameras are mostly the same between the X and 8 Plus. There really isn’t much difference.

For me, the screen and updated UX is what I want most. I used Android up until a few months ago and the button and screen to device size ratio is one of the most annoying things. The Face ID would be nice, of course I would like 2nd gen on that.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
I'm getting a little nervous about something, I'm wondering if apples focus for iOS 11.1 will be to ensure there are no glitches on iPhone X, but the rest of us with older 7's will have to wait even longer to have a less bug free experience. They HAVE to make sure there are no major issues with X or the press will eat it up.

I just hope 11.1 will solve the issues for everyone.

dcunited08

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
I'm getting a little nervous about something, I'm wondering if apples focus for iOS 11.1 will be to ensure there are no glitches on iPhone X, but the rest of us with older 7's will have to wait even longer to have a less bug free experience. They HAVE to make sure there are no major issues with X or the press will eat it up.

I just hope 11.1 will solve the issues for everyone.

What issues are you seeing?

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
What issues are you seeing?

On the iPad I had a few freezing and apps not opening but I want to update the iPhone to 11 but I read too many bad experiences on twitter that people are still having. Supposedly the issues are worse on the iPhone. So at this point I am still not updating to 11 but I like to see see how bad the issues are in Twitter first. This is the longest I have delayed updating an iPhone.

dcunited08

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
On the iPad I had a few freezing and apps not opening but I want to update the iPhone to 11 but I read too many bad experiences on twitter that people are still having. Supposedly the issues are worse on the iPhone. So at this point I am still not updating to 11 but I like to see see how bad the issues are in Twitter first. This is the longest I have delayed updating an iPhone.

I'm running 11.1 and I have noticed a few hiccups but nothing major. Bluetooth is still an issue but has gotten better. Apps may be specific so if there are any you depend on I would look in their user groups.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Some are saving money getting the 7, rather than the 8. The new features on the 8 just aren't important enough to them.

This is definitely it. They are no new selling points for the iPhone 8. It should’ve been sold as the 7S since people don’t expect many new features from S variants.

fightcrazy

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought this was interesting. I think it might be because a record number of people bought the iPhone 7 and it is still too new for them so they will stick with those. But if you have an older device the 8 will sell. But who knows. Thoughts?

U.S. buyers favor iPhone 7 over 8: research | Article [AMP] | Reuters
I was looking to get the 7 for my girlfriend but the 7 isn't available with 256gb of internal storage. Apparently they stopped making that model, maximum storage is 128gb.
Vinny

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
I was looking to get the 7 for my girlfriend but the 7 isn't available with 256gb of internal storage. Apparently they stopped making that model, maximum storage is 128gb.
Vinny

Yup and it looks like the 8 is doing well in some areas but the 7 is more than powerful enough if you can handle the storage hit now.

Side note: I FINALLY upgraded from 10.3.3 to iOS 11.1 on my 7 and it works perfectly for me. I like how it shows that you can have multiple devices on Bluetooth, for example my Fitbit Blaze and my Bose Bluetooth speaker at the same time. I also dig the customizable Control Panel (or whatever they call it now)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW