iPhone 7 selling better than 8

dcunited08

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
The 256 GB iPhone 7 was $849.00 when it came out. The 256 GB iPhone 8 is $849.00. The iPhone 7 32GB was $649.00 when it came out. There is no 32 GB iPhone 8. The 64GB iPhone 8 is 699.00. I am not understanding.

Base model prices, storage size is irrelevant when looking at the starting price. iPhone 7 starting at $549, 8 starting at $699 and X starting at $999. The price framing puts the 8 in the middle which is often not the place to be.

I think every year we have one group of people who buy the flagship as soon as they can get it and a group who will update every few years to the last year's model as soon as the price drops. The second group is upgrading to the 7 but the first group can't because the flagship isn't out yet. I wonder how many of these people are upgrading from the super cycle of the 6/6+ and how many are coming off the 5/5S (or earlier). If the 6/6+ users are locking in 2 years with the 7/7+, that really hurts Apple's chances of raising their ASP.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess I personally don't understand why we are concerned with sales from the worlds most profitable company year over year. Even if sales are lower this year, it isn't indicative of anything other than a wireless market that is maturing and thus the need for yearly upgrades is diminishing. I also think the conversation about lower iPhone 8 sales is pointless considering the iPhone X hasn't even released yet. So comparisons of the 7 to the 8 in terms of sales, in my opinion, is a ridiculous and irrelevant discussion. Compare iPhone sales in total year over year. Compare 2016 sales of all iPhone models combined to 2017 sales of all iPhone sales combined if it's really important to you. I didn't buy the iPhone 8 because the X is around the corner. Had the X not have been an option, I'd have probably upgraded to the 8. I imagine I'm not alone in that. A lot of people are waiting.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
The 256 GB iPhone 7 was $849.00 when it came out. The 256 GB iPhone 8 is $849.00. The iPhone 7 32GB was $649.00 when it came out. There is no 32 GB iPhone 8. The 64GB iPhone 8 is 699.00. I am not understanding.

Apple has stopped selling the 7+ 256 from an article I saw on Yahoo this morning. That makes the upper end 8+ mor palatable it seems.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Apple has stopped selling the 7+ 256 from an article I saw on Yahoo this morning. That makes the upper end 8+ mor palatable it seems.

The article I read on this said Apple probably did it out of desperation because they need to move the 8's.

dcunited08

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
The article I read on this said Apple probably did it out of desperation because they need to move the 8's.

Apple does this every year to simplify their lineup. It happened with the 6S when the 7 came out. I wouldn't point to this as a symptom of having issues with selling the 8.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Apple does this every year to simplify their lineup. It happened with the 6S when the 7 came out. I wouldn't point to this as a symptom of having issues with selling the 8.

I think it's a little bigger than that. I posted the link that they're selling more iPhone 7's then ever before and that should say something about it.

Also regarding lowering the prices of iPhones as you said earlier, you have to realize that Apple is considered a luxury item, they are not meant for perhaps everyone to buy, they are more of a status symbol. Much like there are always people with money who buy Rolls-Royce and Ferraris and there was always a market for those, Apple is much higher on the pedestal over say an android. And quite simply, apple does not have to lower their prices people will line up to buy them, they always have. But if sales of the iPhone 8 are STILL less than the 7, it means something, and you can bet that Apple is a little concerned. Maybe it is also over the iOS 11 fiasco and all the glitches and bugs at this time and people have been reading the countless tweets talking about this, not to mention every tech site has touched on the issues.

So this will be interesting because there seems to be too many iPhone 8's that Apple cannot sell and not enough IPhone 10's (if the number is correct between 2-3 million in stock at this time) but depending on demand for the iPhone X which I'm sure will be higher than the iPhone 8, we will see. The iPhone X will pretty much be the ultimate status symbol this Christmas and you can bet that people will be paying above cost to get an unlocked version on EBay this year.

They still NEED to move the 8's.

Maybe the 8's will start selling soon, there are probably a lot of 2 year contracts due in the next little while.

Last edited:

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site

Lol I JUST got this notification on Twitter......irony

534c375d6c78eb2403fcb14af74fe9f0.jpg

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Base model prices, storage size is irrelevant when looking at the starting price. iPhone 7 starting at $549, 8 starting at $699 and X starting at $999. The price framing puts the 8 in the middle which is often not the place to be.

I think every year we have one group of people who buy the flagship as soon as they can get it and a group who will update every few years to the last year's model as soon as the price drops. The second group is upgrading to the 7 but the first group can't because the flagship isn't out yet. I wonder how many of these people are upgrading from the super cycle of the 6/6+ and how many are coming off the 5/5S (or earlier). If the 6/6+ users are locking in 2 years with the 7/7+, that really hurts Apple's chances of raising their ASP.

The iPhone 6S had a introductory price of $649 for 16 GB. $849 for 128 GB. If you are buying the largest storage iPhone at launch time, the price has not changed. The 64 GB iPhone 5S was $849 at launch and that makes the 64 GB iPhone 8 cheaper by around $150 at $699.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I also think the conversation about lower iPhone 8 sales is pointless considering the iPhone X hasn't even released yet. So comparisons of the 7 to the 8 in terms of sales, in my opinion, is a ridiculous and irrelevant discussion. Compare iPhone sales in total year over year. Compare 2016 sales of all iPhone models combined to 2017 sales of all iPhone sales combined if it's really important to you. I didn't buy the iPhone 8 because the X is around the corner. Had the X not have been an option, I'd have probably upgraded to the 8. I imagine I'm not alone in that. A lot of people are waiting.

GracefulSizzlingDungenesscrab.jpg

dcunited08

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
The iPhone 6S had a introductory price of $649 for 16 GB. $849 for 128 GB. If you are buying the largest storage iPhone at launch time, the price has not changed. The 64 GB iPhone 5S was $849 at launch and that makes the 64 GB iPhone 8 cheaper by around $150 at $699.

I agree the cost of storage has gone down. If someone is primarily looking at the storage size, price is not their primary purchase driver so the price comparison will have less of an effect.

dcunited08

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
I think it's a little bigger than that. I posted the link that they're selling more iPhone 7's then ever before and that should say something about it.

Also regarding lowering the prices of iPhones as you said earlier, you have to realize that Apple is considered a luxury item, they are not meant for perhaps everyone to buy, they are more of a status symbol. Much like there are always people with money who buy Rolls-Royce and Ferraris and there was always a market for those, Apple is much higher on the pedestal over say an android. And quite simply, apple does not have to lower their prices people will line up to buy them, they always have. But if sales of the iPhone 8 are STILL less than the 7, it means something, and you can bet that Apple is a little concerned. Maybe it is also over the iOS 11 fiasco and all the glitches and bugs at this time and people have been reading the countless tweets talking about this, not to mention every tech site has touched on the issues.

So this will be interesting because there seems to be too many iPhone 8's that Apple cannot sell and not enough IPhone 10's (if the number is correct between 2-3 million in stock at this time) but depending on demand for the iPhone X which I'm sure will be higher than the iPhone 8, we will see. The iPhone X will pretty much be the ultimate status symbol this Christmas and you can bet that people will be paying above cost to get an unlocked version on EBay this year.

They still NEED to move the 8's.

Maybe the 8's will start selling soon, there are probably a lot of 2 year contracts due in the next little while.

The issue is not iOS 11, the issue is the Osborne effect. Apple unveiled the X at the same time as the 8 and so it will always be in its shadow. They didn't help themselves by raising the base prices. Last year the 7 was the premium device but this year it is the X. The 8 is really such in the middle which makes it a difficult sale.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
The issue is not iOS 11, the issue is the Osborne effect. Apple unveiled the X at the same time as the 8 and so it will always be in its shadow. They didn't help themselves by raising the base prices. Last year the 7 was the premium device but this year it is the X. The 8 is really such in the middle which makes it a difficult sale.

Ah but you forget that the X is in a class all by itself. It is pure status and people will want it.

I think it is a combination of iOS 11 being the buggiest update in Apple history, the 8 not being significantly amazing over the 7 and I do not think ANYONE cares about the price Apple puts because people will buy it no matter what. If people want a cheapie Android then that is what they can settle for.

This is where we differ then and so be it.

There are a lot of people like myself who would like a mid-level device and I am fine with that and I also believe people are still on contract with the seven like myself in a two-year contract and that also determines if people are free to get one or not. That plus I like the home button and I am not fussy about change.

Many many factors at play here

Last edited:

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site

Another reason I don't believe your theory 100% is because the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s were released on the same day and in some countries the iPhone 5c sold more than any other phone including the 5S, like Britain for example. Britain is not exactly a poor country either.

https://9to5mac.com/2014/10/01/iphone-5c-best-selling-phone/amp/

And now if you go to a country like the US, the iPhone 5s sold over three times as many devices as the 5C. So it's not exactly easy to pin down what the causes are for this phenomenon. That is why I say there are many possible reasons.

Never say never.

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a difficult time deciding on either the 7 or 8. With how much cheaper the 7 is, it seems like the better deal. I don't see anything special with the 8; nothing worth $150 more anyway.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
I'm having a difficult time deciding on either the 7 or 8. With how much cheaper the 7 is, it seems like the better deal. I don't see anything special with the 8; nothing worth $150 more anyway.

Let's see I've had my 7 since the end of March now and I can't believe how fast it is, but then I am coming from a 5C so that was a BIG jump.

Personally I always get a new iPhone every few years when that model is at the end of its first year because the deals are great and it should be good for updates for a few years.

But it is also good to get the newest one you can too because with the fastest processor you will be future-proofed for a while longer.

What are your thoughts on the new glass back? Case or nakey?

Last edited:

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
the iphone 6, iphone 6s, iphone7 are basically the same!
how could people want a iphone 8 now not 3 year ago?

Because while ‘basically’ covers the essentials, everything what’s not included in the ‘basically’ monicker is what makes the upgrade worth it all the way.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Because while ‘basically’ covers the essentials, everything what’s not included in the ‘basically’ monicker is what makes the upgrade worth it all the way.

This. Updates like force touch, better cameras, portrait mode, faster processors to handle the increased demands of iOS, etc. Not to mention people moving to bigger screens.

Have they been major updates? No, but the incremental updates have been enough. And for someone with an aging phone (like my 6s), you're ready for a new one. Could probably just put a new battery in and be fine but I'm looking forward to a bigger screen, better camera, and portrait mode.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox