Apple does this every year to simplify their lineup. It happened with the 6S when the 7 came out. I wouldn't point to this as a symptom of having issues with selling the 8.
    I think it's a little bigger than that. I posted the link that they're selling more iPhone 7's then ever before and that should say something about it.

Also regarding lowering the prices of iPhones as you said earlier, you have to realize that Apple is considered a luxury item, they are not meant for perhaps everyone to buy, they are more of a status symbol. Much like there are always people with money who buy Rolls-Royce and Ferraris and there was always a market for those, Apple is much higher on the pedestal over say an android. And quite simply, apple does not have to lower their prices people will line up to buy them, they always have. But if sales of the iPhone 8 are STILL less than the 7, it means something, and you can bet that Apple is a little concerned. Maybe it is also over the iOS 11 fiasco and all the glitches and bugs at this time and people have been reading the countless tweets talking about this, not to mention every tech site has touched on the issues.

So this will be interesting because there seems to be too many iPhone 8's that Apple cannot sell and not enough IPhone 10's (if the number is correct between 2-3 million in stock at this time) but depending on demand for the iPhone X which I'm sure will be higher than the iPhone 8, we will see. The iPhone X will pretty much be the ultimate status symbol this Christmas and you can bet that people will be paying above cost to get an unlocked version on EBay this year.

They still NEED to move the 8's.

Maybe the 8's will start selling soon, there are probably a lot of 2 year contracts due in the next little while.
    Last edited by RaybanRJ; 10-23-2017 at 07:56 PM.
    10-23-2017 07:37 PM
    Apple does this every year to simplify their lineup. It happened with the 6S when the 7 came out. I wouldn't point to this as a symptom of having issues with selling the 8.
    Lol I JUST got this notification on Twitter......irony

10-23-2017 07:55 PM
    Base model prices, storage size is irrelevant when looking at the starting price. iPhone 7 starting at $549, 8 starting at $699 and X starting at $999. The price framing puts the 8 in the middle which is often not the place to be.

I think every year we have one group of people who buy the flagship as soon as they can get it and a group who will update every few years to the last year's model as soon as the price drops. The second group is upgrading to the 7 but the first group can't because the flagship isn't out yet. I wonder how many of these people are upgrading from the super cycle of the 6/6+ and how many are coming off the 5/5S (or earlier). If the 6/6+ users are locking in 2 years with the 7/7+, that really hurts Apple's chances of raising their ASP.
    The iPhone 6S had a introductory price of $649 for 16 GB. $849 for 128 GB. If you are buying the largest storage iPhone at launch time, the price has not changed. The 64 GB iPhone 5S was $849 at launch and that makes the 64 GB iPhone 8 cheaper by around $150 at $699.
    10-23-2017 08:38 PM
    I also think the conversation about lower iPhone 8 sales is pointless considering the iPhone X hasn't even released yet. So comparisons of the 7 to the 8 in terms of sales, in my opinion, is a ridiculous and irrelevant discussion. Compare iPhone sales in total year over year. Compare 2016 sales of all iPhone models combined to 2017 sales of all iPhone sales combined if it's really important to you. I didn't buy the iPhone 8 because the X is around the corner. Had the X not have been an option, I'd have probably upgraded to the 8. I imagine I'm not alone in that. A lot of people are waiting.
    iPhone 7 selling better than 8-gracefulsizzlingdungenesscrab.jpg
    10-23-2017 08:55 PM
    The iPhone 6S had a introductory price of $649 for 16 GB. $849 for 128 GB. If you are buying the largest storage iPhone at launch time, the price has not changed. The 64 GB iPhone 5S was $849 at launch and that makes the 64 GB iPhone 8 cheaper by around $150 at $699.
    I agree the cost of storage has gone down. If someone is primarily looking at the storage size, price is not their primary purchase driver so the price comparison will have less of an effect.
    10-23-2017 09:51 PM
    I think it's a little bigger than that. I posted the link that they're selling more iPhone 7's then ever before and that should say something about it.

Also regarding lowering the prices of iPhones as you said earlier, you have to realize that Apple is considered a luxury item, they are not meant for perhaps everyone to buy, they are more of a status symbol. Much like there are always people with money who buy Rolls-Royce and Ferraris and there was always a market for those, Apple is much higher on the pedestal over say an android. And quite simply, apple does not have to lower their prices people will line up to buy them, they always have. But if sales of the iPhone 8 are STILL less than the 7, it means something, and you can bet that Apple is a little concerned. Maybe it is also over the iOS 11 fiasco and all the glitches and bugs at this time and people have been reading the countless tweets talking about this, not to mention every tech site has touched on the issues.

So this will be interesting because there seems to be too many iPhone 8's that Apple cannot sell and not enough IPhone 10's (if the number is correct between 2-3 million in stock at this time) but depending on demand for the iPhone X which I'm sure will be higher than the iPhone 8, we will see. The iPhone X will pretty much be the ultimate status symbol this Christmas and you can bet that people will be paying above cost to get an unlocked version on EBay this year.

They still NEED to move the 8's.

Maybe the 8's will start selling soon, there are probably a lot of 2 year contracts due in the next little while.
    The issue is not iOS 11, the issue is the Osborne effect. Apple unveiled the X at the same time as the 8 and so it will always be in its shadow. They didn't help themselves by raising the base prices. Last year the 7 was the premium device but this year it is the X. The 8 is really such in the middle which makes it a difficult sale.
    10-23-2017 10:53 PM
    The issue is not iOS 11, the issue is the Osborne effect. Apple unveiled the X at the same time as the 8 and so it will always be in its shadow. They didn't help themselves by raising the base prices. Last year the 7 was the premium device but this year it is the X. The 8 is really such in the middle which makes it a difficult sale.
    Ah but you forget that the X is in a class all by itself. It is pure status and people will want it.

I think it is a combination of iOS 11 being the buggiest update in Apple history, the 8 not being significantly amazing over the 7 and I do not think ANYONE cares about the price Apple puts because people will buy it no matter what. If people want a cheapie Android then that is what they can settle for.

This is where we differ then and so be it.

There are a lot of people like myself who would like a mid-level device and I am fine with that and I also believe people are still on contract with the seven like myself in a two-year contract and that also determines if people are free to get one or not. That plus I like the home button and I am not fussy about change.

Many many factors at play here
    Last edited by RaybanRJ; 10-23-2017 at 11:10 PM.
    10-23-2017 10:57 PM
    Another reason I don't believe your theory 100% is because the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s were released on the same day and in some countries the iPhone 5c sold more than any other phone including the 5S, like Britain for example. Britain is not exactly a poor country either.

https://9to5mac.com/2014/10/01/iphon...ing-phone/amp/

And now if you go to a country like the US, the iPhone 5s sold over three times as many devices as the 5C. So it's not exactly easy to pin down what the causes are for this phenomenon. That is why I say there are many possible reasons.

Never say never.
    10-23-2017 11:09 PM
    Update

Apple iPhone 7 256GB variant discontinued to boost iPhone 8 sales
    http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.HFvo_
    robertk328 likes this.
    10-24-2017 03:46 AM
    I'm having a difficult time deciding on either the 7 or 8. With how much cheaper the 7 is, it seems like the better deal. I don't see anything special with the 8; nothing worth $150 more anyway.
    LCW likes this.
    10-24-2017 12:11 PM
    Update

They did something similar when the iPhone 6S came out, may have been the same reason but I think it is pretty standard to remove several SKUs.

Apple axes gold color, 128GB options for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models
    10-24-2017 12:16 PM
    They did something similar when the iPhone 6S came out, may have been the same reason but I think it is pretty standard to remove several SKUs.

Apple axes gold color, 128GB options for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models
    And they probably have more than a couple reasons for doing it, yup
    10-24-2017 12:19 PM
    I'm having a difficult time deciding on either the 7 or 8. With how much cheaper the 7 is, it seems like the better deal. I don't see anything special with the 8; nothing worth $150 more anyway.
    Let's see I've had my 7 since the end of March now and I can't believe how fast it is, but then I am coming from a 5C so that was a BIG jump.

Personally I always get a new iPhone every few years when that model is at the end of its first year because the deals are great and it should be good for updates for a few years.

But it is also good to get the newest one you can too because with the fastest processor you will be future-proofed for a while longer.

What are your thoughts on the new glass back? Case or nakey?
    Last edited by RaybanRJ; 10-24-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    10-24-2017 12:22 PM
    the iphone 6, iphone 6s, iphone7 are basically the same!
    how could people want a iphone 8 now not 3 year ago?
    Because while ‘basically’ covers the essentials, everything what’s not included in the ‘basically’ monicker is what makes the upgrade worth it all the way.
    robertk328 likes this.
    10-25-2017 04:17 AM
    Because while ‘basically’ covers the essentials, everything what’s not included in the ‘basically’ monicker is what makes the upgrade worth it all the way.
    This. Updates like force touch, better cameras, portrait mode, faster processors to handle the increased demands of iOS, etc. Not to mention people moving to bigger screens.

Have they been major updates? No, but the incremental updates have been enough. And for someone with an aging phone (like my 6s), you're ready for a new one. Could probably just put a new battery in and be fine but I'm looking forward to a bigger screen, better camera, and portrait mode.
    Tartarus likes this.
    10-25-2017 05:38 AM
    This. Updates like force touch, better cameras, portrait mode, faster processors to handle the increased demands of iOS, etc. Not to mention people moving to bigger screens.

Have they been major updates? No, but the incremental updates have been enough. And for someone with an aging phone (like my 6s), you're ready for a new one. Could probably just put a new battery in and be fine but I'm looking forward to a bigger screen, better camera, and portrait mode.
    How is the battery in your 6S? On my 5C I would have it die around 18% charge remaining so I knew it was time for a new battery but I was nervous at first to leave it overnight because I could not get an official Apple logo'd battery, it was made in China. It would get pretty hot the first couple weeks but then seemed to settle. The electronics repair place told me that even the Apple original batteries are made in China however I have read that some aftermarket batteries may have thinner walls on the battery housing and there can be issues over rupture or leakage eventually. This is why Apple probably carefully hand picks what will go into all their devices to avoid something like the Note 5 fiasco.

Still for the last 6 months that I had it with the new battery it was great, but then the processor really started to show its age, and it becomes a test of patience to perform basic tasks.

My iPhone batteries get a workout because I have to charge 2/3 times a day and I am hoping the 7 will go the full 2 years that my contract is in effect.
    10-25-2017 12:35 PM
    Another reason I don't believe your theory 100% is because the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s were released on the same day and in some countries the iPhone 5c sold more than any other phone including the 5S, like Britain for example. Britain is not exactly a poor country either.

https://9to5mac.com/2014/10/01/iphon...ing-phone/amp/

And now if you go to a country like the US, the iPhone 5s sold over three times as many devices as the 5C. So it's not exactly easy to pin down what the causes are for this phenomenon. That is why I say there are many possible reasons.

Never say never.
    When the 5C came out, it was a replacement for the 5 so it was the 'last-year's' model for the 5S. In some demographics it outsold the 5S like the 7 is rumored to be outselling the 8. The added difference this time is the overall number of iPhones being purchased seems down and we have this year's flagship coming out several weeks after the usually-priced model. Imagine if when the 5C and 5S were announced, Apple also announced the 6 and then began selling it one month later.

This doesn't explain every sale by any means. Some people dropped their phone last week and happily bought the 8 as a replacement. Others want a new phone but do not like a certain feature or the price of the X. Still others just want a new phone now rather than waiting months for the latest and greatest.

I do not thing Apple is on the verge of failing or is in decline but I find it interesting to discuss and understand the market forces that are happening due to their unique lineup this year. It will probably be an odd year as far as iPhone sales go. Will they keep the same plan next year? Even if they do, I think buyers will start seeing it as the new normal and act accordingly.
    10-25-2017 12:59 PM
    When the 5C came out, it was a replacement for the 5 so it was the 'last-year's' model for the 5S. In some demographics it outsold the 5S like the 7 is rumored to be outselling the 8. The added difference this time is the overall number of iPhones being purchased seems down and we have this year's flagship coming out several weeks after the usually-priced model. Imagine if when the 5C and 5S were announced, Apple also announced the 6 and then began selling it one month later.

This doesn't explain every sale by any means. Some people dropped their phone last week and happily bought the 8 as a replacement. Others want a new phone but do not like a certain feature or the price of the X. Still others just want a new phone now rather than waiting months for the latest and greatest.

I do not thing Apple is on the verge of failing or is in decline but I find it interesting to discuss and understand the market forces that are happening due to their unique lineup this year. It will probably be an odd year as far as iPhone sales go. Will they keep the same plan next year? Even if they do, I think buyers will start seeing it as the new normal and act accordingly.
    You said because they were released "at the same time" it will "live in the shadows" so the 5C argument is legit. Because many tech writers have speculated that the iPhone 8 is actually just a 7S in disguise.

"That doesn't explain every sale by any means"....

...and that is WHY I have repeatedly stated "there are MANY factors" and never just one.

I do not think it is Doom and Gloom either (certainly not right now) but then I never thought I would see the day GM would fail either being as BIG as they are! So when the media reports that Apple lost 3% and considering how huge they are, it is a substantial sum of money. And it is very interesting to some people. You have to realize that ANY company can eventually FAIL. Look at Blackberry, just 8-10 years ago they were on top of the world.

Never say "NEVER"

Quite simply, Apple has to move their 8's because there is going to be a shortage of x's. I don't know how much more clear I can state it, and I am not the only one who reads tech news.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/19/iphon...-50-claim/amp/

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...urns-skeptical

We have also seen many sources say that the top 7 was cut to boost 8 sales. BAM! I think you are having an issue accepting this as one of the POSSIBLE reasons....
    Last edited by RaybanRJ; 10-25-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    10-25-2017 01:44 PM
    Edit:

NVM
    Last edited by RaybanRJ; 10-25-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    10-25-2017 02:23 PM
    Some people dropped their phone last week and happily bought the 8 as a replacement. Others want a new phone but do not like a certain feature or the price of the X. Still others just want a new phone now rather than waiting months for the latest and greatest.

Of course, I never debated this.
    10-25-2017 02:32 PM
    Some are saving money getting the 7, rather than the 8. The new features on the 8 just aren't important enough to them.
    After playing with my wife’s 8, I love it but you’re right, it’s not worth moving from 7 to a 8.
    10-26-2017 12:16 AM
    (edited for brevity)
    Quite simply, Apple has to move their 8's because there is going to be a shortage of x's. I don't know how much more clear I can state it, and I am not the only one who reads tech news.

We have also seen many sources say that the top 7 was cut to boost 8 sales. BAM! I think you are having an issue accepting this as one of the POSSIBLE reasons....https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7c374ea3ca.jpg
    I have no issue saying the remove of the 256GB iPhone 7 is partially to push the iPhone 8, I am only saying they have a habit of thinning the number of storage options even when they were not having trouble pushing the new model:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone...line_of_models

The supposed fact they are having trouble selling the 8 and making the X will make it difficult to meet sales expectations until next cycle. I think we both agree on that.

I hope next year they will have a device they can produce in sufficient quantities in the iPhone 8's price range that has many of the X's features.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    10-26-2017 01:10 PM
    I hope next year they will have a device they can produce in sufficient quantities in the iPhone 8's price range that has many of the X's features.
    Isn’t that the iPhone 8, 8 Plus? Outside of Face ID and frontside camera being a TrueDepth camera, display screen. Both the 8s and the X support Dolby Vision and HDR10 content. The processors are the same. The backside cameras are mostly the same between the X and 8 Plus. There really isn’t much difference.
    10-26-2017 04:35 PM
    Isn’t that the iPhone 8, 8 Plus? Outside of Face ID and frontside camera being a TrueDepth camera, display screen. Both the 8s and the X support Dolby Vision and HDR10 content. The processors are the same. The backside cameras are mostly the same between the X and 8 Plus. There really isn’t much difference.
    For me, the screen and updated UX is what I want most. I used Android up until a few months ago and the button and screen to device size ratio is one of the most annoying things. The Face ID would be nice, of course I would like 2nd gen on that.
    10-26-2017 05:26 PM
    I'm getting a little nervous about something, I'm wondering if apples focus for iOS 11.1 will be to ensure there are no glitches on iPhone X, but the rest of us with older 7's will have to wait even longer to have a less bug free experience. They HAVE to make sure there are no major issues with X or the press will eat it up.

I just hope 11.1 will solve the issues for everyone.
    baseballbert likes this.
    10-27-2017 01:18 PM
98 1234