Howdy folks,

So today was my first real battery life test of my iPhone 8 as it's the first day I had to go to work since I got it.

I'm happy to report that battery life for me has been exceptional. It was off charger for 10 hours and when I got home from work I was still at 72%. I was doing a moderate amount of texting, some browsing and quite a bit of camera use. I also have fitness tracking apps constantly running in the background. I was not using WiFi at all.

This is very good battery life by my standards, in fact it stayed over 90% even three hours into my shift.

This beats out my previous champs which were my Google Pixel and my Lumia 1020.

With my Pixel I'd be at around 55% at the end of the day with similar usage.

I'm using an iPhone 8 64GB (4.7)

How has your battery life been?
    Last edited by KrisYYC; 09-28-2017 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Typo in title
    09-28-2017 04:02 AM
    Thank you for sharing!
    It must’ve been the A11 Bionic.
    09-28-2017 04:21 AM
    Howdy folks,

So today was my first real battery life test of my iPhone 8 as it's the first day I had to go to work since I got it.

I'm happy to report that battery life for me has been exceptional. It was off charger for 10 hours and when I got home from work I was still at 72%. I was doing a moderate amount of texting, some browsing and quite a bit of camera use. I also have fitness tracking apps constantly running in the background. I was not using WiFi at all.

This is very good battery life by my standards, in fact it stayed over 90% even three hours into my shift.

Battery life is great, but not as great as my iPhone 7 Plus. As long as I can go from around 7 AM when I’m walking out the door to bed time, that’s all I care about. I’m in an office setting all day so if I were experiencing bad battery life, I have a wireless charger at my desk.
    09-28-2017 08:24 AM
    Sadly I don’t think you can draw any conclusions from this because when you put a new battery in an iPhone, you get great battery life for a while at least. I replaced the battery on my iPhone 6 after 2 years and the difference was ridiculous. My iPhone 8 currently has great battery life but it’s only in line with what I’d expect from a new phone.
    09-28-2017 03:44 PM
    Sadly I don’t think you can draw any conclusions from this because when you put a new battery in an iPhone, you get great battery life for a while at least. I replaced the battery on my iPhone 6 after 2 years and the difference was ridiculous. My iPhone 8 currently has great battery life but it’s only in line with what I’d expect from a new phone.
    That’s very true, lithium ion batteries tend to lose their charge overtime.
    09-28-2017 05:56 PM
    That’s very true, lithium ion batteries tend to lose their charge overtime.
    Yep. iPhone batteries are designed to retain 80% of original capacity for 500 full charge cycles. After that you’re on borrowed time.
    09-28-2017 11:03 PM
    Yep. iPhone batteries are designed to retain 80% of original capacity for 500 full charge cycles. After that you’re on borrowed time.
    But battery life on these new phones are amazing. My red iPhone 7 Plus was only 3 months old. So not many charges on that. Battery didn’t have many full charges. My 8 plus I’d say is getting about 30% more battery life. And I may being conservative on that. Maybe closer to 40%. It’s fair to say A11 Bionic which Apple said that this chip is much more power efficient is correct. I’m completely amazed about this battery life.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    09-28-2017 11:59 PM
    But battery life on these new phones are amazing. My red iPhone 7 Plus was only 3 months old. So not many charges on that. Battery didn’t have many full charges. My 8 plus I’d say is getting about 30% more battery life. And I may being conservative on that. Maybe closer to 40%. It’s fair to say A11 Bionic which Apple said that this chip is much more power efficient is correct. I’m completely amazed about this battery life.
    30%?
    That’s HUGE.
    09-29-2017 12:04 AM
    30%?
    That’s HUGE.
    Yeah. Here is my battery stats from a full day yesterday.
    KrisYYC likes this.
    09-29-2017 12:49 AM
    I thought it was 750 full cycles?
    09-29-2017 01:20 AM
    Apple mentioned it to be 500 cycles.
    750/1000 for some of the MacBook models.
    09-29-2017 01:35 AM
    That’s funny because I went to Apple to get my iPhone diagnosed and get a new battery. My capacity was 90% at 586 full charge cycles. I asked the tech about 500 cycles and they said the new Li-Poly batteries are 750. So I said “ok” and went and bought a coffee from a local shop.

The End
    09-29-2017 02:22 AM
    That’s funny because I went to Apple to get my iPhone diagnosed and get a new battery. My capacity was 90% at 586 full charge cycles. I asked the tech about 500 cycles and they said the new Li-Poly batteries are 750. So I said “ok” and went and bought a coffee from a local shop.

The End
    Hmm.. you can start a Live Chat with Apple Support, and see whether it’s 500 or 750.
    09-29-2017 02:25 AM
    Hmm.. you can start a Live Chat with Apple Support, and see whether it’s 500 or 750.
    Can’t get more live than in person . It’s all good. 509 or 750 my 6sPlus is still rocking.
    TripleOne likes this.
    09-29-2017 02:26 AM
    I can draw one conclusion for sure: It beat my LG G6 and Google Pixel when they were of comparatively new status. The LG G6 has to power a much larger screen, however the Pixel isn't much larger yet has a 2770 mAh battery compared to the iPhone 8's at 1821 mAh. As much as I love the Pixel the iPhone has it beat there.

By full charge cycles do they mean from near 0% to 100%? Or just any time it's charged?

I rarely keep phones for longer than a year anyway, so I doubt I'll wear out the battery significantly.

Kris
    09-29-2017 04:15 AM
    I have noticed improved battery life compared to my iPhone 7 by about 20%.
    09-29-2017 05:33 AM
    Howdy folks,

last year with the 7 it had great battery life for a few months then it went down the drain. It is awful on IOS11. Just expect it to drop in a few months.
    09-29-2017 05:25 PM

https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/
    09-29-2017 09:54 PM
    By full charge cycles do they mean from near 0% to 100%? Or just any time it's charged?

I rarely keep phones for longer than a year anyway, so I doubt I'll wear out the battery significantly.
    A charge cycle would be the equivalent of 0% to 100%. In other words, charging from 50% to 100% would be considered half a cycle.
    KrisYYC likes this.
    09-29-2017 09:58 PM
    A charge cycle would be the equivalent of 0% to 100%. In other words, charging from 50% to 100% would be considered half a cycle.
    Gotcha,

Well in my case I doubt I'd ever come close to wearing the battery out before I get a new phone. I'm not a heavy user and my phone rarely gets below 50% before I can put it on a chargers.
    09-30-2017 03:24 AM
    Gotcha,

Well in my case I doubt I'd ever come close to wearing the battery out before I get a new phone. I'm not a heavy user and my phone rarely gets below 50% before I can put it on a chargers.
    Yeah, you’ll only have to worry about your battery if you’re going to use your iPhone for more than 2 years. By then, you can simply bring it to Apple and pay for a replacement battery.
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    09-30-2017 05:13 AM
    When connected to my Apple Watch I'm getting similar battery life to my S8+ but not as good as my 7 Plus. My last non-Plus iPhone was the 6. The 8 has much better battery life than the 6 did even when it was new.
    10-01-2017 09:08 AM
    Battery life of the iPhone 8 is a real surprise, I feel really attracted to it as it defeats the other rivals in battery life.
    12-05-2018 07:47 PM