iPhone 8 in DFU mode

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Nope, I haven’t had to yet. I always setup my phones as new.

When I attempted to put it in DFU mode using the same instructions for the iPhone 7/7 Plus, I could not get it to take. I ended up selecting the restore option in iTunes. At that point, iTunes appeared to download the 2.66 gigabytes .ipsw file and then install it to my iPhone 8. Afterwards, I set it up as new.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
When I attempted to put it in DFU mode using the same instructions for the iPhone 7/7 Plus, I could not get it to take. I ended up selecting the restore option in iTunes. At that point, iTunes appeared to download the 2.66 gigabytes .ipsw file and then install it to my iPhone 8. Afterwards, I set it up as new.

That’s weird!!! Everything on the net says the process is still the same. Hopefully someone out there has done it...now I’m curious

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
On an iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Finally, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen. Things have changed with iPhone 8. This is from Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht201263

Thanks!!!! So it’s the same process as doing a hard reset. I swear I looked and couldn’t find this anywhere or maybe I just didn’t read it thoroughly enough to realize they were talking about DFU & not a hard reset🤷🏾*♀️

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
On an iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Then press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Finally, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery-mode screen. Things have changed with iPhone 8. This is from Apple:

Nice...Thank you very much for the link....

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks!!!! So it’s the same process as doing a hard reset. I swear I looked and couldn’t find this anywhere or maybe I just didn’t read it thoroughly enough to realize they were talking about DFU & not a hard reset🤷🏾*♀️

You are welcome. Glad to help. Yes it is the same just hold the side button until the Apple logo instead of until DFU. I did a force reboot yesterday and tried to do it like an iPhone 7 and jumped out of the chair when the SOS alert blast went off.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
You are welcome. Glad to help. Yes it is the same just hold the side button until the Apple logo instead of until DFU. I did a force reboot yesterday and tried to do it like an iPhone 7 and jumped out of the chair when the SOS alert blast went off.

Yeah that sound is pretty scary

wjhmt

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site

Isn't this just for entering Recovery Mode? I thought DFU and Recovery Mode were different? These instructions are a surefire way to get into Recovery Mode on the 8, but why would they also be for DFU Mode?

I've tried to use the hold side button, then add volume down, then let go of side button method from the 7 models, and it also takes me into Recovery Mode on the 8. Maybe because it's a new phone with no previous software versions available for it, you can't enter DFU Mode yet, so it defaults you to Recovery Mode instead?

Chief G-Hawk

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So here is the actual method to put the DFU mode for the 8 and 8 Plus. The other method is just the recovery mode and not DFU. This one is. Try it out your self.

UPDATE : i have found the way to enter DFU mode 8 and 8 plus
1) connect iphone to computer and open itunes, make sure your phone is on, not off.
2) quickly press volume up, quickly press volume down then press and hold power until the phone JUST go black
3) release the power, then re hold down volume down and hold power together for 5 seconds
4) after 5 seconds, release power button but keep hold volume down
5) wait until Itunes detects as DFU mode as the phone 8/8plus goes black :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234