Anybody using their iPhone 8 Plus for working out?

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys/gals.

Curious. I want to know if there is anyone thinking about downsizing to the 8 from a plus sized model for using during workouts.

I'm in the major minority but I don't wear any mind of wearables. Never been a Watch guy myself. So I am thinking about trading in my 7plus and buying an 8 outright. Was wondering if anyone else has done this for this reason or any other reason.

I have become very into running/cardio/weights etc.

Lost 150lbs in the last 9 months. Now my phone is starting to weigh me down and it's the sole device I use to help track runs, walks, steps. Etc.

I know I know easier solution would to get a Fitbit/Apple Watch but I'm not a huge fan of having things on my wrist since I'm a chef and it would get tore up at work.

I know in the end it's my choice and only I can know what makes me happy or not.

Just looking for experiences.

Thanks.

Moneymiike420

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
The 8plus would essentially be the same as your 7plus wouldn't it? With the glass back on the 8it will be a tiny bit heavier ...personally if I'm working out or playing sports I hate having my phone on me or on my pocket

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The 8plus would essentially be the same as your 7plus wouldn't it? With the glass back on the 8it will be a tiny bit heavier ...personally if I'm working out or playing sports I hate having my phone on me or on my pocket

Yes, it would be the same.

Hence why I am considering the upgrade-downgrade.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I’ll tell you my experience with the plus sized devices. I, too, and really into running and working out. When the 6 came out I got both just to try. And try as I might to like the plus, it was just not feasible for my use cases. It was far too bulky for running and far too big to fit in lady pockets. I ended up selling it. Never went back to the plus.

Even after I got my AW, I still carry my phone with me on runs bc I have to be reachable for work and kids. With the s3, who knows. Although, I’m reading that it’s not reliably switching to lte in some situations.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys/gals.

Curious. I want to know if there is anyone thinking about downsizing to the 8 from a plus sized model for using during workouts.

I'm in the major minority but I don't wear any mind of wearables. Never been a Watch guy myself. So I am thinking about trading in my 7plus and buying an 8 outright. Was wondering if anyone else has done this for this reason or any other reason.

I have become very into running/cardio/weights etc.

Lost 150lbs in the last 9 months. Now my phone is starting to weigh me down and it's the sole device I use to help track runs, walks, steps. Etc.

I know I know easier solution would to get a Fitbit/Apple Watch but I'm not a huge fan of having things on my wrist since I'm a chef and it would get tore up at work.

I know in the end it's my choice and only I can know what makes me happy or not.

Just looking for experiences.

Thanks.

Way to go on your fitness routine and focus on health! Impressive.

I don't run much anymore (about once a week on indoor treadmill) due to older knees and the wear/tear from years of running. I do bike, hike, and walk extensively when not using the gym at work during the workweek.

So for me the 8+ form factor is fine, and I get the extra battery life and screen size. I can carry the phone in a Camelback, backpack or hand, so the phone size/weight is not a factor. But I can see for runners having a smaller size and less weight being more ideal.

If Apple were to release an iPhone with reduced bezels/weight like they did for the new iPad Pro 10.5, that would for me be even more ideal.

Riley2521

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I actually had the same issue when I initially switched to the 7 Plus. It's big for a runner to carry, so I went down to the 7 (now the 8) and find it works best for me with my active lifestyle. It's hard not to envy the larger screen and better camera but I just know it would become a burden when working out, so I'll stick with my 8.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I actually had the same issue when I initially switched to the 7 Plus. It's big for a runner to carry, so I went down to the 7 (now the 8) and find it works best for me with my active lifestyle. It's hard not to envy the larger screen and better camera but I just know it would become a burden when working out, so I'll stick with my 8.

I definitely envy the camera on the plus models but not worth the inconvenience for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2