Is the iPhone 8 a failure?

KrisYYC

Sep 23, 2017
Visit site
I'd be curious to see iPhone 8 sales by geography. In my region of Canada all colours and variants of the 8 and 8 plus sold out on launch day.

I think the obscene price of the X will definitely affect sales of the 8 outside the US. Even Canada which by no means a poor country the X will be $1400 for the base model, and $1600-$1700 for the 256GB when you include tax. Most people I know will not spend that much for a phone. Not a chance.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Snapchat isn't being very nice to the iPhone 8 today
3bcc5d52388b7cbc69698ac0c88e78f6.jpg
0b2791fcc16a7d01dd0155ee0169996a.jpg
b2c116622f2522bdeb80f6930fb508b4.jpg
b89e77861a25891ef1c3ef9d61eeb999.jpg

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't think this is a question that we should have to answer. It is the job for the companies to intrigue me. We didn't know we wanted the original iPhone until Steve Jobs showed it to us.

I shouldn't have to say, "This is what I want to be intrigued". The mastery of a good product and marketing is to convince me that I need something (that I probably don't need).

The iPhone 8 didn't do that. It didn't offer anything substantial over my 7 Plus that told me, "I should go get that phone". So I didn't. I stuck with my 7 Plus.

I'm probably going for the X.

While I agree with you, that’s not to say that many others weren’t intrigued. You can’t make 100% of the people happy all the time, so this appealed to some but not others.

Not sure it matters to you, but while the design & listed features may not be substantial, this thing is a powerhouse!!! After using it this past week, I realized none of the apps I use frequently reload, compared to my 7 Plus. I listen to a station on Apple Music or Pandora & the last song I was listening to is still there when I open it hours later or the next day, it usually times out & reloads after a few hours on the 7 Plus. I haven’t been on Tapatalk in a couple days & the thread I was reading was still open to the same spot, but on the 7 Plus it reloads anytime I jump into another app. This definitely helps a ton when I’m reviewing different apps for business purposes. To each their own, but this is pretty huge for me from a productivity standpoint.

Who’s to say Apple didn’t manage to have enough in stock this time?
Not being sold out / having still in stock doesn’t equal low sales.

I totally agree with this!!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
While I agree with you, that’s not to say that many others weren’t intrigued. You can’t make 100% of the people happy all the time, so this appealed to some but not others.

Not sure it matters to you, but while the design & listed features may not be substantial, this thing is a powerhouse!!! After using it this past week, I realized none of the apps I use frequently reload, compared to my 7 Plus. I listen to a station on Apple Music or Pandora & the last song I was listening to is still there when I open it hours later or the next day, it usually times out & reloads after a few hours on the 7 Plus. I haven’t been on Tapatalk in a couple days & the thread I was reading was still open to the same spot, but on the 7 Plus it reloads anytime I jump into another app. This definitely helps a ton when I’m reviewing different apps for business purposes. To each their own, but this is pretty huge for me from a productivity standpoint.

I totally agree with this!!

I agree. Others could have been intrigued. I'm just saying I personally wasn't.

My wife upgraded from the 7 to the 8. She personally can't tell a difference between the 7 and the 8. I figured I'd give her another week or two and ask again. But I think it's all based on what you may have used your last phone for. The only reason she upgraded was because she messed her 7 up, so rather than going through insurance we decided to upgrade.

The nice thing about this year though is that the 8 didn't have to impress me for Apple to get my money. The X did enough that will compel me to upgrade to it.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Others could have been intrigued. I'm just saying I personally wasn't.

My wife upgraded from the 7 to the 8. She personally can't tell a difference between the 7 and the 8. I figured I'd give her another week or two and ask again. But I think it's all based on what you may have used your last phone for. The only reason she upgraded was because she messed her 7 up, so rather than going through insurance we decided to upgrade.

The nice thing about this year though is that the 8 didn't have to impress me for Apple to get my money. The X did enough that will compel me to upgrade to it.

Yeah it definitely depends on what you use your phone for. Plus the fact that I carry the 8 & 7 Plus, so I’m seeing a difference in real time on a constant basis. Can’t wait for the X though

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
There’s so much rubbish been talked about iPhone 8 by the people who haven’t bought one. Some call it a failure (basically because they didn’t buy one) and others (including many journalists and podcasters) are being downright offensive to those of us who did decide that the iPhone was worth our hard earned cash. Apparently I can’t be an enthusiast or I’m just a dumb user to have bought an 8; some people are so up themselves. I bought an iPhone 8 because I don’t think it’s worth an extra 300 bucks for a different way to unlock my phone or for a screen with bits missing from either end.

Is it a failure? The Apple line-up is ultimately about more than one device now. Let’s wait for those earning calls once the 8 and the X are both on sale and see how the numbers look. As long as Apple doesn’t have millions of them manufactured but unsold in a warehouse somewhere and the overall bottom line for iPhone sales hasn’t slumped then it’s not a failure. Will it eclipse sales of the iPhone 6 and 7 before it? Almost certainly not because it’s only one piece of a bigger jigsaw now.

Qanabta

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
You know me - I like to stir the pot a bit....... I can’t help it! With that in mind, some people are seeming the iPhone 8 models a failure because there aren’t any widespread reports of Apple or the carriers being sold out of them. Some people even say that because the ‘design’ of the iPhone 8 models is the same as the iPhone 6 models, people simply don’t want them and thus call it a failure. Could they be right? Sure. Could they be wrong? Sure. Apple will without a doubt a lot of iPhone models in bunches. Some people will buy the iPhone 8, others will buy the iPhone 8 Plus and a good deal will buy the iPhone X. Apple wins, regardless. It can also be argued that some of the people who are waiting to buy the iPhone X may opt for the iPhone 8 or 8 Plus if they are unable to pre-order it the day it goes on sale or if they have a long wait time to receive it. What are your thoughts about it?

With my respect, i call it a big failure for iPhone 8, we was waiting this devise to switch from 6s to 8 ...
Forgodsake ... what are you doing you??
wireless charger ... is that your revolution ?!!!!

But after this tragedy announcement for iPhone 8, we converted the company devises to iPhone 7.

in this attitude i believe Apple will lose the mobile market if they stayed in this mentality... don't assume the customers are fools.
Thanx

That70sGAdawg

Trusted Member
Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm enjoying the better camera, WAY faster processor, and front speaker upgrade over my 7 ! The rest can wait for the X , and pay dearly for a slightly larger screen that they will always be accidentally pressing - cause there is no bezel to hold onto in landscape.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
No offense to anyone, but I take any analysis or news on Snapchat from millennials with a grain of salt.

No offence taken and I was only pointing out what the buzz is in social media about this new device. I'm not gonna bury my head in the sand I like to know what's going on and what everyone is saying. Because whatever they say influences millions.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Sidenote I just noticed iOS 11.0.1 is out, there's no mention in the learn more description if it fixes any of the bugs but I'm sure it was created to address this. Anyone try it yet?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With my respect, i call it a big failure for iPhone 8, we was waiting this devise to switch from 6s to 8 ...
Forgodsake ... what are you doing you??
wireless charger ... is that your revolution ?!!!!

But after this tragedy announcement for iPhone 8, we converted the company devises to iPhone 7.

in this attitude i believe Apple will lose the mobile market if they stayed in this mentality... don't assume the customers are fools.
Thanx

Good observation, and I appreciate you sharing it with us...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods