Hey all,

So on kind of spur of the moment decision I just picked up an iPhone 8 at the Apple store here in Calgary. Had to wait about 30 mins in line. Store was very busy.

I've had an iPhone before. The iPhone 4S. Since then I've been using mostly Android and Windows Phone (believe it or not). Mostly Android though and haven't used an iPhone for at least 4 years.

Anyway I thought I'd give Apple a try again for change of pace. These days it seems switching platforms is a lot easier with Google services apps, and Windows apps being available for iOS.

Any tips from others who've made the switch? The learning curve is a bit steep for me at the moment with regards to the general OS. So weird not having back button.

I really like Touch ID though and the audio quality with headphones is great, despite having to use the silly adapter.

It's nice to see that Apple didn't give up on making smaller phones with lots of power. I have Bart Simpson hands and I hate huge phones.

Kris
    09-22-2017 11:05 PM
    Enjoy your new phone it's day and night compared to android.
    In regards to then back button..iOS has the patent where you can swipe left to right to go back to any screen whether it be in instagram,or settings menu..it really helps once you get used to it . If you have any questions feel free to ask
    zinedine likes this.
    09-23-2017 08:24 AM
    Congratulations on getting your new iPhone 8. I, too, have one and am really enjoying it. In regard to tips, just mosey on over to the iMore Blog and you’ll find plenty.

https://www.imore.com/ios-8-tips
    KrisYYC likes this.
    09-23-2017 08:27 AM
    Congratulations on getting your new iPhone 8. I, too, have one and am really enjoying it. In regard to tips, just mosey on over to the iMore Blog and you’ll find plenty.

https://www.imore.com/ios-8-tips
    That link is for ios8 I believe..if you downloaded iOS 11 you can check out tHese tips if you'd like https://www.google.com/amp/bgr.com/2...hone-ipad/amp/
    09-23-2017 08:36 AM
    That link is for ios8 I believe..if you downloaded iOS 11 you can check out tHese tips if you'd like https://www.google.com/amp/bgr.com/2...hone-ipad/amp/
    That link covers a multitude of instructions, including things that are iOS-related.
    09-23-2017 08:40 AM
    I know it's silly and probably something you already know, but I switch between Android and iOS quite often. One of the most difficult things for me to remember is iOS settings are all done from the Settings App. Most app settings are done inside of the apps themselves on Android. I often find myself looking for app settings inside the app I'm using on iOS.

Another thing I forgot is that personalization for contacts (ringtones, text tones) are done in the Contacts section of the Phone app. It blows my mind that Android is supposed to be so "open" and customizable, but it requires using a 3rd party messaging app to have different text tones for different contacts.
    KrisYYC likes this.
    09-23-2017 09:29 AM
    Thanks for the tips so far guys!

I know it's silly and probably something you already know, but I switch between Android and iOS quite often. One of the most difficult things for me to remember is iOS settings are all done from the Settings App. Most app settings are done inside of the apps themselves on Android. I often find myself looking for app settings inside the app I'm using on iOS.

Another thing I forgot is that personalization for contacts (ringtones, text tones) are done in the Contacts section of the Phone app. It blows my mind that Android is supposed to be so "open" and customizable, but it requires using a 3rd party messaging app to have different text tones for different contacts.
    Yes so far that has been the hardest thing to get used to. I keep forgetting that with iOS almost every change is done via the settings app. Not a big deal, though it would be nice to able to change camera settings on the fly from within the app.

How often do you switch between iOS and Android? I still have some pretty expensive Android phones so I'm hoping the ability to switch between to the two will keep me from getting bored of either and maybe I won't buy so many damn phones haha.

Another thing: The news widget... Is there a way to tailor the news sources to ones I prefer?

Thanks again folks!
    09-23-2017 03:58 PM
    Thanks for the tips so far guys!

Yes so far that has been the hardest thing to get used to. I keep forgetting that with iOS almost every change is done via the settings app. Not a big deal, though it would be nice to able to change camera settings on the fly from within the app.

How often do you switch between iOS and Android? I still have some pretty expensive Android phones so I'm hoping the ability to switch between to the two will keep me from getting bored of either and maybe I won't buy so many damn phones haha.

Another thing: The news widget... Is there a way to tailor the news sources to ones I prefer?

Thanks again folks!
    I believe the News widget is supposed to learn what you like as you use it. Then more relevant topics show up.

I currently have an iPhone 8, Samsung S8+, and a Nextbit Robin. I’ve had every iPhone since the 3G, a few HTC phones, a few Galaxies, and the Robin. I switch back and forth quite a bit b/c I usually have at least one iPhone and an Android phone. Breaks up the monotony.
    09-23-2017 04:48 PM
    Thanks msm0511,

My up to date Android phones are the LG G6 and Google Pixel. I have a veritable museum of older models too haha.
    09-24-2017 01:34 AM
    Good luck on the transition. I am still trying to decide if I want to keep my iPhone 8 Plus. Mainly because I have an iPhone 7 Plus.

The release of the iPhone X will be absolutely pandemonium, in the smartphone world.
    09-24-2017 04:35 AM
    Good luck with your new iPhone and welcome to IOS. Glad to have you aboard.
    09-25-2017 07:20 AM

Any tips from others who've made the switch?
    Another thing I just remembered yesterday. When you get a banner notification you can pull down on it for actionable items such as deleting it if it's an email etc.
    09-25-2017 07:49 AM
    Congrats on your new iPhone...ENJOY. Hope to see you around the forums.
    09-25-2017 08:51 AM
    Thanks msm0511 and Spencerdl!

For some reason I cannot quote posts in this thread without getting a "SPAM error" when I try to post a reply.

Anywho,

My phone did have a couple of bugs that required me to do a backup/restore. The first was a minor one: When editing the song order in a playlist in music player, the changes would not save. The second problem was more serious. My phone simply stopped downloading apps from the App Store, or songs from iTunes store. I tried all the troubleshooting tips. But nothing worked. Decided to do a restore before I get too many photos/messages etc on the phone.

The restore seems to have fixed both issues.

Thanks again for the tips, and the welcome!

Kris
    09-25-2017 09:35 PM
    I’ve been with android since literal day 1 with my preorder G1. Since then I’ve been a huge android fan boy. I got the iPhone 8 plus and I’m in love. Within 5 days of having the IP8+ I also got a used Nike edition series 2. iOS is gorgeous and just flies! I love it. I won’t be going back to Android anytime soon.
    Jbrown99 likes this.
    10-01-2017 10:43 AM