Apple Upgrade Program vs. T-Mobile Upgrade Program?

Gator5000e

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I am going to order an 8 to upgrade my current 6. I really want the 10 but since it does not have the new T-Mo 600mhz band radio yet, I will use the 8 for a year on an upgrade program and then upgrade to the X next year when it will hopefully support the new frequency.

I am not currently on any upgrade plan. The 6 is owned outright. So I can't tell if I want to go thru the Apple Upgrade Program or the T-Mobile Equipment Installment Plan. If I add insurance to the T-Mo plan (which includes Apple Care+ for $12/mo) my payment will be approximately $29/mo. The Apple plan will be $35/mo including Apple Care. I believe both plans let you upgrade after a year if you've paid 50%.

So I guess my question is there any reason not to go with the T-Mo plan plus the insurance that includes Apple Care? All my recent phones were purchased outright from Apple so going thru a carrier will be a first for me.

Sorry for the long post but thanks for any thoughts.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile lets you upgrade monthly with Jump On Demand. In all honesty, I think Apple is better if you’re only going to use iPhone, ever. If you plan on using any phone other iPhone and upgrading, T-Mobile would be better. Especially when it comes to preorder, with T-Mobile you have to actually call T-Mobile to preorder iPhones, you can use Apple’s website or app unless you plan on paying full price. It’s a give and take.

Gator5000e

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I was told to do the upgrade plan via Apple, I have to go into the store on or after the phone are released to go through the process. I guess it requires a credit application that haws to be completed in the store. Not sure how T-Mo would affect that, but it is what it is. T-Mo's insurance seems to be double that of Apple Care+which is $129 for two years of coverage. T-Mo is $12/mo so it's a lot more expensive. So without the insurance, T-Mo is a cheaper deal. With the insurance, it's only a few $$ cheaper a month.

FaisDogg

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I was told to do the upgrade plan via Apple, I have to go into the store on or after the phone are released to go through the process. I guess it requires a credit application that haws to be completed in the store. Not sure how T-Mo would affect that, but it is what it is. T-Mo's insurance seems to be double that of Apple Care+which is $129 for two years of coverage. T-Mo is $12/mo so it's a lot more expensive. So without the insurance, T-Mo is a cheaper deal. With the insurance, it's only a few $$ cheaper a month.

AppleCare + doesn’t cover lost or stolen phone, that’s why I always go with carrier insurance (Verizon).

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I hate that I can't do the Apple Upgrade program online. I'm not sure why the other carriers allow to do it online, but TMo doesn't. I'm currently on JoD, but I'd rather do the Apple one.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox