Pointless to upgrade to iPhone 8 if you have a 7

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Re: Pointless to upgrade to iPhone8 if you have 7

This.

Don’t even get me started with the linked article. It’s poorly written and short-sighted, even for Mashable. “When is the last time your iPhone 7 actually lagged or couldn't complete a task because the processor was too slow?” That’s like asking why I should upgrade my Nintendo 64 even though it’s not lagging while I’m playing Mario Kart. Furthermore, AR apps and portrait mode turn my 7 Plus into a miniature space heater because it’s pinging the processor so hard. I’m not saying the iPhone 8 is a worthy upgrade for everyone. I’m just saying that it shouldn’t automatically be written off as a worthy upgrade for the right users.

I like how you put it at the end.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I read an article somewhere , it stated that, due to apple start to sell wireless charging phone, some hotel, qi component factories, retailer, all starting to invest the wireless charging pad. That show apple’s influence in the market. Wonder how long can apple maintain their global market position. Such a burden LOL

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Nah. Some of us don’t like being told that something is “completely pointless,” since we all have different definitions of what is pointless.

See, to me, what phone Trump is using is completely pointless. But you posted a thread about it.

See? Different definitions of completely pointless.

I was going to respond to that in the most disrespectful fashion. But I’ve built a reputation for getting infractions. So I’ll let that little jab go lol. You want to feel secure in your purchase. I get it.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site

No. Some of us merely disagreed with the author determining for the rest of us that the upgrade was “pointless” when he or she cannot know what our wants and needs are or what is important to us.
A similar comment was responded to already. The article was for people on the fence about making a decision. Not for people who already knew why they wanted the newer device.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

A similar comment was responded to already. The article was for people on the fence about making a decision. Not for people who already knew why they wanted the newer device.

Let’s just say that he could have made it crystal clear to whom the article was intended. It doesn’t help when he states, “I'm not going to pretend I can tell you exactly which phone is right for you, but I'll tell you this: If you already have an iPhone 7, you absolutely should not buy an iPhone 8.” That statement is definitive and across the board, in my opinion, and it is telling people that the iPhone 8 is NOT right for them if they own already own an iPhone 7, despite not knowing what is right for everybody.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I was going to respond to that in the most disrespectful fashion. But I’ve built a reputation for getting infractions. So I’ll let that little jab go lol. You want to feel secure in your purchase. I get it.

Interesting.
You make a statement that upgrading to an 8 is simply for phone nerds who want to lay their phone down at Starbucks, or that people who upgrade to the 8 are part of a “needy generation” but you find it objectionable when someone reminds you of your interest in what Trump uses as something that is of interest.
Well.....I never sit at Starbucks, and in the 5 minutes that I spend ordering a coffee or drive through, I don’t put my phone down. So there must be other reasons. Which you find irrelevant. Cool. Go ahead and place a value judgement on others’ adult decisions. But don’t threaten disrespectful responses when someone places a value judgement on your interests. If you dish out, you need to be able to take it.

Oh and I don’t need to feel secure in my purchase. I knew what I wanted and I got it. I answer to no one in my house for my purchases, and they’re the ones who matter.

Last edited:

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Interesting.
You make a statement that upgrading to an 8 is simply for phone nerds who want to lay their phone down at Starbucks, or that people who upgrade to the 8 are part of a “needy generation” but you find it objectionable when someone reminds you of your interest in what Trump uses as something that is of interest.
Well.....I never sit at Starbucks, and in the 5 minutes that I spend ordering a coffee or drive through, I don’t put my phone down. So there must be other reasons. Which you find irrelevant. Cool. Go ahead and place a value judgement on others’ adult decisions. But don’t threaten disrespectful responses when someone places a value judgement on your interests. If you dish out, you need to be able to take it.

Oh and I don’t need to feel secure in my purchase. I knew what I wanted and I got it. I answer to no one in my house for my purchases, and they’re the ones who matter.

I didn’t threaten a disrespectful response. Let’s not add things I never did. A threat is completely different then what I said.

I simply stated the truth. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. For that I’m sorry. Let’s get past this. We’re all iPhone enthusiasts here.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The reactions in this group are actually quite worth reading.
If you have spent top dollar on a device you don’t want people to tell you that you have been stupid.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Aside from wireless charging there is no obvious reason if you can spend the money for the better.

And I can't agree with this.

I definitely don’t think it’s pointless though many of the upgrades are going to be missed by the average consumer. It’s an upgrade in every way internally. If the X wasn’t on the horizon, I’d likely be posting this from my 8 Plus right now.

I think this is a lot of the problem, people do a quick scan of the spec sheet and, beyond the A11 processor -- which says nothing about the actual performance -- the only thing that really sticks out on a spec sheet is the wireless charging. What it misses are things like LTE-Advanced support, how much faster the phone actually is, the huge improvements in photo quality (despite using the same basic phone hardware), and the TrueTone display (which is on some spec sheets but that people gloss over). And even with this list, I'm sure there are a couple of things I've forgotten.

I will agree, for most people none of it is a "must have," but is enough there that some people will want or feel the need to upgrade. I really like things like the TrueTone display; which I've loved since seeing it in action on an iPad Pro. I like the better camera, though I don't take a lot of pictures (so it is hard to justify upgrading based on the camera). The wireless charging isn't something I care greatly about; I've had it on Android phones and like the convenience but it isn't a feature that would convince me to buy one phone over another that doesn't have it.

Personally, if I hadn't been handing down my phone for another family member to use, I likely would not have bought an 8 Plus. But it is a great phone and has several improvements over the 7 Plus.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For clarity’s sake, saying, “I believe it is pointless to upgrade to the iPhone 8 if you have already have an iPhone 7” is perfectly fine. Prefacing it with “I believe” lets us know that you are expressing your personal opinion. However, using the same statement minus the preface is moving beyond personal opinion and makes the author seem like the self appointed authority over this matter. Know what I mean?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I didn’t threaten a disrespectful response. Let’s not add things I never did. A threat is completely different then what I said.

I simply stated the truth. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. For that I’m sorry. Let’s get past this. We’re all iPhone enthusiasts here.

🤣🤣🤣🤣My feelings aren’t hurt. I am calling out flawed logic and erroneous assumptions. Women *can* do that devoid of any feelings. Much like many of us can squash a spider without turning into quivering mush.

But sure let’s get part this. Although I will dispute the statement that we’re all iPhone enthusiasts here. We all know that’s far from correct.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
For clarity’s sake, saying, “I believe it is pointless to upgrade to the iPhone 8 if you have already have an iPhone 7” is perfectly fine. Prefacing it with “I believe” lets us know that you are expressing your personal opinion. However, using the same statement minus the preface is moving beyond personal opinion and makes the author seem like the self appointed authority over this matter. Know what I mean?

Fair enough!
The only thing is you can find every conceivable opinion on the internet. If you get upset at them all, you’ll be spending a lot on therapy.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
🤣🤣🤣🤣My feelings aren’t hurt. I am calling out flawed logic and erroneous assumptions. Women *can* do that devoid of any feelings. Much like many of us can squash a spider without turning into quivering mush.

But sure let’s get part this. Although I will dispute the statement that we’re all iPhone enthusiasts here. We all know that’s far from correct.

Yes we are. We all have our iPhone enthusiast fan club cards!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes we are. We all have our iPhone enthusiast fan club cards!

935179ea7550038c050a1a6368658684.jpg

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site

What does your gender have to do with anything lol.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I have the 7 plus and I don’t see a good reason to upgrade myself. My iPhone works just fine. BUT. If someone was to give me the $615 that I owe on ATT Next than I would probably upgrade right away and get the 8 plus. I personally don’t like the X, but that’s just me. Maybe on the iPhone XI, or whatever it’s called next year, the Touch ID might come back under the screen. I was thinking maybe it might come this year but it didn’t. Hope it isn’t gone.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I feel the same way.. got $700 for my 7+ 256gb and then got my 8+ yesterday.. It’s only been a day, but it seems amazing.. battery is great.. I will keep everyone posted..

I say grab the 8 and forget the 10

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
But what about the 7 plus. I have too sell that first. Besides, with the new 10.5” iPad Pro bought two weeks ago, my wireless bill with att is now about $400 a month.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro