Pointless to upgrade to iPhone 8 if you have a 7

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Pointless to upgrade to iPhone8 if you have 7

I have never understood why someone would blast through a phone on an annual basis. It is like buying a new computer every two to three years. I upgrade every two years because my carrier gives me money back for my current model, and offers a new model for free with a two year contract. Otherwise, I would probably wait until it were to stop working. However, even with the above incentives, I like my 7 so much that I think I will wait until it does actually stop working to upgrade.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site

I have never understood why someone would blast through a phone on an annual basis. It is like buying a new computer every two to three years. I upgrade every two years because my carrier gives me money back for my current model, and offers a new model for free with a two year contract. Otherwise, I would probably wait until it were to stop working. However, even with the above incentives, I like my 7 so much that I think I will wait until it does actually stop working to upgrade.

We live in a needy generation that doesn’t appreciate quality. They don’t understand having a great product and using it for what it was intended until it’s not usable anymore. So they upgrade upgrade and upgrade without even really learning how to use the product inside and out.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

On the one hand, annual upgrades definitely are not necessary. OTOH, there are often good reasons to upgrade every two to three years. The problem is, cell phone technology is still quite young and maturing very quickly. The new iPhone released today is capable of data speeds that are much faster (four or five times) than the iPhone 6S, which is now two years old. Granted the 6s is still 'fast enough' for most users; but the other issues is that carriers keep improving their coverage, and to do that they use new cellular frequencies, which requires new phones that support those frequencies. Additionally, the technology used to get the top speeds, such as carrier aggregation, can go along way to help improve your coverage when you are in weaker coverage areas.

Combine that with the faster speeds, better displays and cameras, etc. and you get to the point that a three to four year old cell phone is more like a decade old computer. While some people do upgrade too often, an upgrade every two to four years is likely about right -- depending on what ways the new phones have improved, particularly in the ways cellular technology has advanced.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Pointless to upgrade to iPhone8 if you have 7

I checked it out today and I got to tell you I think I take back everything I said, it really is a beautiful phone with the glass and seems pretty tough too! I'm fine with the 7 if I wreck mine I would get another but now I wouldn't even want the 7 as much knowing that this thing is out and after holding it for the first time!

4ea45507bbe7eb9d66e66611e0b31168.jpg

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I checked it out today and I got to tell you I think I take back everything I said, it really is a beautiful phone with the glass and seems pretty tough too! I'm fine with the 7 if I wreck mine I would get another but now I wouldn't even want the 7 as much knowing that this thing is out and after holding it for the first time!

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170923/4ea45507bbe7eb9d66e66611e0b31168.jpg

Everyone is saying that it’s much better!
It does look classier IMO.
If only Apple brought back the Matte Black and Jet Black for the 8.

SABRIAN70

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Pointless to upgrade to iPhone8 if you have 7

I work for Verizon , ..... even though it looks nice your paying more for a phone that pretty much a 7 and 7 plus . Customers with 7 and 7 plus actually put them side by side and other than camera tweeks acknowledge it’s pretty much the same , unfortunately. “ But to each there own “

Been selling a lot of Note 8’s

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I’ve got a friend who spends huge amounts of money on putting chrome stuff on his truck. He also raised it up to where I literally need to hop to get in it.
He’s spent thousands.
I think his truck looks silly.
But.....
It’s his money.
He pays all his bills.
Buying all that junk makes him happy.
He’s an adult.
Why shouldn’t he?
Similarly, I’m an adult and I pay all my bills. So because I can, I get a new phone every year.
The bitter judgement of strangers on an Internet forum is literally pppppoffffftttttt.....
Can’t wait until next year! I’ll pay off my phone in around three or four months and be ready for September 2018.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site

I work for Verizon , ..... even though it looks nice your paying more for a phone that pretty much a 7 and 7 plus . Customers with 7 and 7 plus actually put them side by side and other than camera tweeks acknowledge it’s pretty much the same , unfortunately. “ But to each there own “

Been selling a lot of Note 8’s

That’s my point. Not that people can do what they want and go out and buy it. DUH!!!! we all know that. The article was for people wondering if it’s worth buying because they don’t know the differences. Is the upgrade worth your money or can you save it for the next iteration. Not oh I have money I’m free to do what I want screw him lol. Everyone took it so personally.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
That’s my point. Not that people can do what they want and go out and buy it. DUH!!!! we all know that. The article was for people wondering if it’s worth buying because they don’t know the differences. Is the upgrade worth your money or can you save it for the next iteration. Not oh I have money I’m free to do what I want screw him lol. Everyone took it so personally.

Nah. Some of us don’t like being told that something is “completely pointless,” since we all have different definitions of what is pointless.

See, to me, what phone Trump is using is completely pointless. But you posted a thread about it.

See? Different definitions of completely pointless.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

I got it.
People did take it personal and that wasn’t the point.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

Aside from wireless charging there is no obvious reason if you can spend the money for the better.

I think it’s a personal choice. For instance, if they came out with a new color and that was the only reason you wanted it and can afford it, is it worth it? It is to that person. Yet a new color alone is not, for most people, worth the upgrade.
We all make personal decisions based on likes, needs, or aesthetics. Also Apple brings, something perceived but not talked about all the time, the personal connection that draws people into supporting what they make. It’s extremely interesting.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I definitely don’t think it’s pointless though many of the upgrades are going to be missed by the average consumer. It’s an upgrade in every way internally. If the X wasn’t on the horizon, I’d likely be posting this from my 8 Plus right now.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

.... Everyone took it so personally.
No. Some of us merely disagreed with the author determining for the rest of us that the upgrade was “pointless” when he or she cannot know what our wants and needs are or what is important to us.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm debating also if I should upgrade my 7 plus128 g for a 8 plus 256 g.

1. Do you have a ‘need’ to upgrade or do you merely have a ‘desire’ to upgrade?

2. Is there anything mechanically wrong with your current iPhone?

3. If there were no new iPhone models available, would your current iPhone continue to meet your smartphone needs?

4. Are the incremental improvements of the newer iPhone model ‘worth’ pursuing to ‘you’?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

No. Some of us merely disagreed with the author determining for the rest of us that the upgrade was “pointless” when he or she cannot know what our wants and needs are or what is important to us.

This.

Don’t even get me started with the linked article. It’s poorly written and short-sighted, even for Mashable. “When is the last time your iPhone 7 actually lagged or couldn't complete a task because the processor was too slow?” That’s like asking why I should upgrade my Nintendo 64 even though it’s not lagging while I’m playing Mario Kart. Furthermore, AR apps and portrait mode turn my 7 Plus into a miniature space heater because it’s pinging the processor so hard. I’m not saying the iPhone 8 is a worthy upgrade for everyone. I’m just saying that it shouldn’t automatically be written off as a worthy upgrade for the right users.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR