Pointless to upgrade to iPhone 8 if you have a 7

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Pointless to upgrade to iPhone8 if you have 7

I say let people spend their money as they choose. I don't get emotionally invested in someones personal update cycle.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

Perceived value. After looking at comparison charts, the 8 doesn't really have that. Oh, its cool, its a bit faster but probably not enough to notice and the camera is a little better. I guess 100.00 doesn't really go that far anymore.

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site

No consumer is forced to upgrade to 8. And no one is gonna upgrade to 8 just because others do. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and needs and makes their own choices. If the author is trying to help someone who wants to know if the upgrade is necessary then it should be an advice or a suggestion not a conclusion.

Perhaps no one will upgrade just because others do but, They will upgrade simply because Apple says this is the new next best thing. Thats just my opinion but if you see lines around the block at Apple stores, you'll know I was correct

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

EXACTLY. I sometimes wonder why I upgrade to the latest, greatest iPhone and the I remember ...because I want to.

Me too!
If only I could afford upgrading every year, hopefully one day I will be able to... LOL.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site

I for one won't be upgrading from the iPhone 7 Plus to the iPhone 8 Plus!... I'm one of the ones dumb enough to spend a $1000 + on a pointless upgrade to the iPhone X! ;)

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I agree with the author here. Apple really isn't giving us anything in the iPhone 8 that justifies the upgrade from a 7, in my opinion. So I have no intentions on upgrading to a more expensive device when there won't be a noticeable difference compared to my 7 Plus. In fact, the 8 Plus 256 GB configuration is actually more expensive than the 7 Plus 256 GB was at release. So it's not even like it's an even upgrade. It's pricier all around. And their lackluster presentation of it didn't impress me enough to justify the costs. That's also the overwhelming opinion around my office.

I'm currently debating on the iPhone X. It's pretty pricy as well and I'm weighing on if it offers enough to justify the extra cost for the device AND for AppleCare+. Apple is expensive this year, lol.

Actually, the 8 Plus 256GB is cheaper than the 7 Plus 256GB was at launch. The iPhone 7 Plus 256GB was $969, the 8 Plus 256GB is "only" $949 -- not a huge difference, but it is $20 cheaper than the 7 Plus was.

There are several little advantages to the 8 Plus, not all of which have been mentioned here. It has the wireless charging, faster processor, and improved camera sensors; as have been mentioned. It also has features like Bluetooth 5.0 and LTE-Advanced; not the type of thing most people even understand, but very nice upgrades to have. It also has LTE Band 66, for those whose carrier uses that band (though is missing Band 71, like most other flagships this year). It has the improved Portrait mode, slower slow motion video, 60 fps 4K video, etc. There is much more to this upgrade than most people give it credit for.

As for benchmarks, they are starting to show up. Engadget lists these in their review: 3D Mark IS Unlimited: 7+ 37,784, 8+ 63,144; Geekbench 3 (multi-core) 7+ 5,660, 8+ 10,391; Geekbench 3 (single-core) 7+ 3,306; 8+ 4,245; AnTuTu 7+ 170,650; 8+ 193,297.

In fact, I find it interesting to see some of the different opinions -- there are a lot of reviewers that say the X is a waste of money, that people should buy the 8/8 Plus instead. It is fairly easy to argue that the X doesn't add that much over the iPhone 8, particularly since you lose the fingerprint sensor.

Of course, the easiest argument is that any flagship phone is not needed by the majority of people -- that a low to mid-range cell phone would do everything that the average person actually needs their phone to do. For most of us, with phones, it ends up being more what we want and feel we can afford, than what we actually need.

I'm on both sides of this argument, but mostily I think it is stupid to say it is "pointless to upgrade" -- as has been stated here, it all depends on each persons needs, wants and priorities. At the same time, I think this years group of iPhones, all three models, are some of the easiest to skip. The 7+ is still a great phone and most people that own it have no need to upgrade this year. My 8+ should be arriving Friday.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Pointless to upgrade to iPhone8 if you have 7

I want the iPhone 8 Plus.
I had a conniption when I saw 256 GB.
But then I had a conversation with myself.
For an extra 36 bucks a month (I put down a 100 buck down payment, should have done more) I'm getting a device that looks like the love child of an iPhone 4 and my iPhone 7+.
Then I thought how convenient it would be to use a charging pad and save my port.
Then I thought how purty that new gold is.
Then I thought I take a lot of pictures and always love a camera bump.
And THEN I thought that since I'm an adult and I have a job and I might die soon and this would make me happy, what the hay. So why should I let some stranger writing some article or forum tell me what I can do or place a value judgement on my decisions?
So I ordered it.
Because I wanted to.
Because I can.
Because I'm old enough to decide for myself.
And because 36 bucks a month isn't going to cause my electricity to be turned off or my car repossessed.

And we none of us have a right to judge anyone else's decisions if we don't live with them.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

I want the iPhone 8 Plus.
I had a conniption when I saw 256 GB.
But then I had a conversation with myself.
For an extra 36 bucks a month (I put down a 100 buck down payment, should have done more) I'm getting a device that looks like the love child of an iPhone 4 and my iPhone 7+.
Then I thought how convenient it would be to use a charging pad and save my port.
Then I thought how purty that new gold is.
Then I thought I take a lot of pictures and always love a camera bump.
And THEN I thought that since I'm an adult and I have a job and I might die soon and this would make me happy, what the hay. So why should I let some stranger writing some article or forum tell me what I can do or place a value judgement on my decisions?
So I ordered it.
Because I wanted to.
Because I can.
Because I'm old enough to decide for myself.
And because 36 bucks a month isn't going to cause my electricity to be turned off or my car repossessed.

And we none of us have a right to judge anyone else's decisions if we don't live with them.

Word.

bluej3

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site

Perhaps no one will upgrade just because others do but, They will upgrade simply because Apple says this is the new next best thing. Thats just my opinion but if you see lines around the block at Apple stores, you'll know I was correct

Every year we do see people line up at apple store because people like the few new changes, with that being said no one is forced to stand in line. People like it so they buy it. So why should anyone blame the upgrades. It is a choice.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

I think people take these articles way too seriously.
It's an opinion.
No one said you can't get a new shiny iPhone.
Buy 10.
Have fun.

SABRIAN70

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site

1d2b95f034c51bf828470bed90ded62e.heic
550dd090b3e31d5aa2ab36b7204a478c.heic

Merry Christmas

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Pointless to upgrade to iPhone8 if you have 7

I read that earlier, it’s quite sad really hahaha.

I still think there will be MANY who buy the cheaper iPhone 8. In fact, I think that is the model that has a better chance of taking a bite out of Android sales because it is cheaper. Actually with the SE and iPhone 7 price cuts I heard about, those will likely take sales away from Android even better....

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I still think there will be MANY who buy the cheaper iPhone 8. In fact, I think that is the model that has a better chance of taking a bite out of Android sales because it is cheaper. Actually with the SE and iPhone 7 price cuts I heard about, those will likely take sales away from Android even better....

I think so too!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR