Perceived value. After looking at comparison charts, the 8 doesn't really have that. Oh, its cool, its a bit faster but probably not enough to notice and the camera is a little better. I guess 100.00 doesn't really go that far anymore.
    09-18-2017 08:39 PM
    No consumer is forced to upgrade to 8. And no one is gonna upgrade to 8 just because others do. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and needs and makes their own choices. If the author is trying to help someone who wants to know if the upgrade is necessary then it should be an advice or a suggestion not a conclusion.
    Perhaps no one will upgrade just because others do but, They will upgrade simply because Apple says this is the new next best thing. Thats just my opinion but if you see lines around the block at Apple stores, you'll know I was correct
    cevag and TgeekB like this.
    09-18-2017 08:43 PM
    EXACTLY. I sometimes wonder why I upgrade to the latest, greatest iPhone and the I remember ...because I want to.
    Me too!
    If only I could afford upgrading every year, hopefully one day I will be able to... LOL.
    09-18-2017 11:50 PM
    I for one won't be upgrading from the iPhone 7 Plus to the iPhone 8 Plus!... I'm one of the ones dumb enough to spend a $1000 + on a pointless upgrade to the iPhone X!
    flyinion likes this.
    09-19-2017 01:44 AM
    I agree with the author here. Apple really isn't giving us anything in the iPhone 8 that justifies the upgrade from a 7, in my opinion. So I have no intentions on upgrading to a more expensive device when there won't be a noticeable difference compared to my 7 Plus. In fact, the 8 Plus 256 GB configuration is actually more expensive than the 7 Plus 256 GB was at release. So it's not even like it's an even upgrade. It's pricier all around. And their lackluster presentation of it didn't impress me enough to justify the costs. That's also the overwhelming opinion around my office.

I'm currently debating on the iPhone X. It's pretty pricy as well and I'm weighing on if it offers enough to justify the extra cost for the device AND for AppleCare+. Apple is expensive this year, lol.
    Actually, the 8 Plus 256GB is cheaper than the 7 Plus 256GB was at launch. The iPhone 7 Plus 256GB was $969, the 8 Plus 256GB is "only" $949 -- not a huge difference, but it is $20 cheaper than the 7 Plus was.

There are several little advantages to the 8 Plus, not all of which have been mentioned here. It has the wireless charging, faster processor, and improved camera sensors; as have been mentioned. It also has features like Bluetooth 5.0 and LTE-Advanced; not the type of thing most people even understand, but very nice upgrades to have. It also has LTE Band 66, for those whose carrier uses that band (though is missing Band 71, like most other flagships this year). It has the improved Portrait mode, slower slow motion video, 60 fps 4K video, etc. There is much more to this upgrade than most people give it credit for.

As for benchmarks, they are starting to show up. Engadget lists these in their review: 3D Mark IS Unlimited: 7+ 37,784, 8+ 63,144; Geekbench 3 (multi-core) 7+ 5,660, 8+ 10,391; Geekbench 3 (single-core) 7+ 3,306; 8+ 4,245; AnTuTu 7+ 170,650; 8+ 193,297.

In fact, I find it interesting to see some of the different opinions -- there are a lot of reviewers that say the X is a waste of money, that people should buy the 8/8 Plus instead. It is fairly easy to argue that the X doesn't add that much over the iPhone 8, particularly since you lose the fingerprint sensor.

Of course, the easiest argument is that any flagship phone is not needed by the majority of people -- that a low to mid-range cell phone would do everything that the average person actually needs their phone to do. For most of us, with phones, it ends up being more what we want and feel we can afford, than what we actually need.

I'm on both sides of this argument, but mostily I think it is stupid to say it is "pointless to upgrade" -- as has been stated here, it all depends on each persons needs, wants and priorities. At the same time, I think this years group of iPhones, all three models, are some of the easiest to skip. The 7+ is still a great phone and most people that own it have no need to upgrade this year. My 8+ should be arriving Friday.
    09-19-2017 08:23 AM
    I want the iPhone 8 Plus.
    I had a conniption when I saw 256 GB.
    But then I had a conversation with myself.
    For an extra 36 bucks a month (I put down a 100 buck down payment, should have done more) I'm getting a device that looks like the love child of an iPhone 4 and my iPhone 7+.
    Then I thought how convenient it would be to use a charging pad and save my port.
    Then I thought how purty that new gold is.
    Then I thought I take a lot of pictures and always love a camera bump.
    And THEN I thought that since I'm an adult and I have a job and I might die soon and this would make me happy, what the hay. So why should I let some stranger writing some article or forum tell me what I can do or place a value judgement on my decisions?
    So I ordered it.
    Because I wanted to.
    Because I can.
    Because I'm old enough to decide for myself.
    And because 36 bucks a month isn't going to cause my electricity to be turned off or my car repossessed.

And we none of us have a right to judge anyone else's decisions if we don't live with them.
    bluej3 likes this.
    09-19-2017 02:10 PM
    I want the iPhone 8 Plus.
    I had a conniption when I saw 256 GB.
    But then I had a conversation with myself.
    For an extra 36 bucks a month (I put down a 100 buck down payment, should have done more) I'm getting a device that looks like the love child of an iPhone 4 and my iPhone 7+.
    Then I thought how convenient it would be to use a charging pad and save my port.
    Then I thought how purty that new gold is.
    Then I thought I take a lot of pictures and always love a camera bump.
    And THEN I thought that since I'm an adult and I have a job and I might die soon and this would make me happy, what the hay. So why should I let some stranger writing some article or forum tell me what I can do or place a value judgement on my decisions?
    So I ordered it.
    Because I wanted to.
    Because I can.
    Because I'm old enough to decide for myself.
    And because 36 bucks a month isn't going to cause my electricity to be turned off or my car repossessed.

And we none of us have a right to judge anyone else's decisions if we don't live with them.
    Word.
    09-19-2017 02:14 PM
    Perhaps no one will upgrade just because others do but, They will upgrade simply because Apple says this is the new next best thing. Thats just my opinion but if you see lines around the block at Apple stores, you'll know I was correct
    Every year we do see people line up at apple store because people like the few new changes, with that being said no one is forced to stand in line. People like it so they buy it. So why should anyone blame the upgrades. It is a choice.
    09-19-2017 02:22 PM
    I think people take these articles way too seriously.
    It's an opinion.
    No one said you can't get a new shiny iPhone.
    Buy 10.
    Have fun.
    bluej3 likes this.
    09-19-2017 02:24 PM

Merry Christmas
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    09-20-2017 02:24 PM
    Congratulations!
    I love how the new boxes are color coded.
    Can you please share a picture of the phone? I would love to see the new Space Grey.
    09-21-2017 04:53 AM
    09-21-2017 11:00 PM
    I read that earlier, it’s quite sad really hahaha.
    09-21-2017 11:15 PM
    I read that earlier, it’s quite sad really hahaha.
    I still think there will be MANY who buy the cheaper iPhone 8. In fact, I think that is the model that has a better chance of taking a bite out of Android sales because it is cheaper. Actually with the SE and iPhone 7 price cuts I heard about, those will likely take sales away from Android even better....
    TripleOne and TgeekB like this.
    09-21-2017 11:17 PM
    I still think there will be MANY who buy the cheaper iPhone 8. In fact, I think that is the model that has a better chance of taking a bite out of Android sales because it is cheaper. Actually with the SE and iPhone 7 price cuts I heard about, those will likely take sales away from Android even better....
    I think so too!
    09-21-2017 11:49 PM
    I have never understood why someone would blast through a phone on an annual basis. It is like buying a new computer every two to three years. I upgrade every two years because my carrier gives me money back for my current model, and offers a new model for free with a two year contract. Otherwise, I would probably wait until it were to stop working. However, even with the above incentives, I like my 7 so much that I think I will wait until it does actually stop working to upgrade.
    09-22-2017 02:40 AM
    I have never understood why someone would blast through a phone on an annual basis. It is like buying a new computer every two to three years. I upgrade every two years because my carrier gives me money back for my current model, and offers a new model for free with a two year contract. Otherwise, I would probably wait until it were to stop working. However, even with the above incentives, I like my 7 so much that I think I will wait until it does actually stop working to upgrade.
    We live in a needy generation that doesn’t appreciate quality. They don’t understand having a great product and using it for what it was intended until it’s not usable anymore. So they upgrade upgrade and upgrade without even really learning how to use the product inside and out.
    09-22-2017 09:40 AM
    On the one hand, annual upgrades definitely are not necessary. OTOH, there are often good reasons to upgrade every two to three years. The problem is, cell phone technology is still quite young and maturing very quickly. The new iPhone released today is capable of data speeds that are much faster (four or five times) than the iPhone 6S, which is now two years old. Granted the 6s is still 'fast enough' for most users; but the other issues is that carriers keep improving their coverage, and to do that they use new cellular frequencies, which requires new phones that support those frequencies. Additionally, the technology used to get the top speeds, such as carrier aggregation, can go along way to help improve your coverage when you are in weaker coverage areas.

Combine that with the faster speeds, better displays and cameras, etc. and you get to the point that a three to four year old cell phone is more like a decade old computer. While some people do upgrade too often, an upgrade every two to four years is likely about right -- depending on what ways the new phones have improved, particularly in the ways cellular technology has advanced.
    09-22-2017 10:03 AM
    If you need wireless charging, then it’s worth it
    09-22-2017 12:13 PM
    I checked it out today and I got to tell you I think I take back everything I said, it really is a beautiful phone with the glass and seems pretty tough too! I'm fine with the 7 if I wreck mine I would get another but now I wouldn't even want the 7 as much knowing that this thing is out and after holding it for the first time!

09-22-2017 08:22 PM
    I checked it out today and I got to tell you I think I take back everything I said, it really is a beautiful phone with the glass and seems pretty tough too! I'm fine with the 7 if I wreck mine I would get another but now I wouldn't even want the 7 as much knowing that this thing is out and after holding it for the first time!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...11e0b31168.jpg
    Everyone is saying that it’s much better!
    It does look classier IMO.
    If only Apple brought back the Matte Black and Jet Black for the 8.
    09-22-2017 10:43 PM
    I work for Verizon , ..... even though it looks nice your paying more for a phone that pretty much a 7 and 7 plus . Customers with 7 and 7 plus actually put them side by side and other than camera tweeks acknowledge it’s pretty much the same , unfortunately. “ But to each there own “

Been selling a lot of Note 8’s
    anon(9721108) and phonejunky like this.
    09-23-2017 01:29 AM
    I’ve got a friend who spends huge amounts of money on putting chrome stuff on his truck. He also raised it up to where I literally need to hop to get in it.
    He’s spent thousands.
    I think his truck looks silly.
    But.....
    It’s his money.
    He pays all his bills.
    Buying all that junk makes him happy.
    He’s an adult.
    Why shouldn’t he?
    Similarly, I’m an adult and I pay all my bills. So because I can, I get a new phone every year.
    The bitter judgement of strangers on an Internet forum is literally pppppoffffftttttt.....
    Can’t wait until next year! I’ll pay off my phone in around three or four months and be ready for September 2018.
    09-23-2017 03:31 AM
    I work for Verizon , ..... even though it looks nice your paying more for a phone that pretty much a 7 and 7 plus . Customers with 7 and 7 plus actually put them side by side and other than camera tweeks acknowledge it’s pretty much the same , unfortunately. “ But to each there own “

Been selling a lot of Note 8’s
    That’s my point. Not that people can do what they want and go out and buy it. DUH!!!! we all know that. The article was for people wondering if it’s worth buying because they don’t know the differences. Is the upgrade worth your money or can you save it for the next iteration. Not oh I have money I’m free to do what I want screw him lol. Everyone took it so personally.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-23-2017 08:07 PM
    That’s my point. Not that people can do what they want and go out and buy it. DUH!!!! we all know that. The article was for people wondering if it’s worth buying because they don’t know the differences. Is the upgrade worth your money or can you save it for the next iteration. Not oh I have money I’m free to do what I want screw him lol. Everyone took it so personally.
    Nah. Some of us don’t like being told that something is “completely pointless,” since we all have different definitions of what is pointless.

See, to me, what phone Trump is using is completely pointless. But you posted a thread about it.

See? Different definitions of completely pointless.
    nikkisharif and TwitchyPuppy like this.
    09-24-2017 05:54 AM
103 1234 ...