Do you agree or disagree?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Let’s get real for a moment. Every year, in regard to the iPhone, various people complain that not much has changed from the previous year. Although the statement is true, that is how it is suppose to be. If a company is uber successful in selling a particular smartphone every year like Apple is, it is not going to radically alter their best selling product year in and year out. That wouldn’t be smart because doing so could risk alienating their customer base. Instead, it provides incremental upgrades typically in the form of an updated iOS version and some better specs. Why? Because it understands that almost everyone looks forward to something “new”, but few are accepting of change. Do you agree or disagree? Either way, state your opinion below....

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree with you. And when people tell me that little has changed regarding an iPhone model, I would tell them to try it for a week. From there, they’ll be able to actually experience the upgrades and realise that it’s pretty great!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree.
Apple has never been about being first or big specs. It's always been about presenting a product that is going to appeal to people and which will have made whatever they decide to put in their devices better.
This drives competitors and those who use competitors' products CRAZY.
As a consumer and as an IT professional, I don't CARE that WebOS introduced gestures and I laugh at Blackberry people up in arms about Apple "stealing" what they claim was "their" idea. I care about Apple making it work. I don't care that NFC had been around for literally years before Apple introduced Apple Pay. I care about Apple bringing it to the US and guiding its acceptance in the US. Just like I didn't care that Zune existed before the iPod. Like I didn't care that touch screens existed before the first iPhone. Like I didn't care that the Pebble existed before the Apple Watch. I care that it's made it a perfect mate to my phone. I don't care that Good Technologies had been managing enterprise communications for years. I care that it works ten times better with my iPhone than it did with my Samsung.
Apple has come in and perfected those products that people use. In a sense, Apple sees what will become ubiquitous and improves it by either adding a level of simplicity to the UI/UX or adding a minimalistic style that is instantly appealing.
This year, I feel that Apple lost their way a little bit with the design of the X by having that notch there. I believe Steve would not have allowed that design. For me it resulted in not getting the X. But I don't have any concern about its implementation of Face ID, they saw others fumble it and I feel they will make it work. They similarly will have a beautiful approach to gestures after seeing WebOS a long time ago.
So Apple is not an innovator in new tech or specs. That's not why I've dropped everything else and kept Apple. They're masters at making things work well, simply, minimalistic, with a style that appeals to me.
Seems millions and millions of people, companies, and government agencies agree with their approach.

Last edited:

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Agree, although I wouldn't mind them making larger leaps here and there. Like folks have said above, they've taken feature and integrated them better than the competition.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I think people are just plain unrealistic. If someone thinks each new iPhone should be radically different each year then ask them in what way... there isn't an answer to that. We are steadily moving towards phones being rectangles that are all screen because that's what makes sense for games, movies, web viewing, photos etc so how exactly could it be greatly different from year to year? Make it circular just for the sake of it? Great, but it would be worse for all of the key tasks it does. Same goes for the software...ok there's maybe features each of us would like adding to iOS but who honestly would want to learn a whole new OS every 12 months? Now the hardware and software is fairly mature this is the future until perhaps someone perfects foldable screens

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you JustMeD. If you are a successful business it's better to stick with what got you there and just make small incremental adjustments and Apple has done that over the years and done it well. Since the original iPhone was release up until the iPhone 5s, Apple adjusted the design of the iPhone (about every two years), However with the iPhone 6 design, Apple has foregone the design change in last four iterations of the iPhone (6 thru 8), I personally liked the every two year design change, so I'm definitely on board with the iPhone X. A long time (only two years, but seemed like more..LOL) waiting.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
This year, I feel that Apple lost their way a little bit with the design of the X by having that notch there

I couldn't disagree more. I think this is just what Apple needed to do. After four years of the same design, it was definitely time for a drastic change. I also understand everyone has an opinion on the X, but are we looking at the same iPhone X. That iPhone in the middle is BEAUTIFUL ...
791b87ea3ba2d238a3426cf45f05b48b.jpg

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This year, I feel that Apple lost their way a little bit with the design of the X by having that notch there. I believe Steve would not have allowed that design. For me it resulted in not getting the X. ...

My interest in the iPhone X is solely with the edge to edge display, but like you, I do not like that notch at the top of it. I would have preferred the items therein blend in with the screen.

Last edited:

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't disagree more. I think this is just what Apple needed to do. After four years of the same design, it was definitely time for a drastic change. I also understand everyone has an opinion on the X, but are we looking at the same iPhone X. That iPhone in the middle is BEAUTIFUL ...
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170917/791b87ea3ba2d238a3426cf45f05b48b.jpg

OK. So you like having a notch that partially cuts into the display.

I don't. Which is why I said "I feel that..." and followed my feelings with my wallet.

Luckily there are options for both of us.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
OK. So you like having a notch that partially cuts into the display.

I don't. Which is why I said "I feel that..." and followed my feelings with my wallet.

Luckily there are options for both of us.

This is true. We have options. I definitely like the black notch better than the black bar across the top. Bring on the X

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
This is true. We have options. I definitely like the black notch better than the black bar across the top. Bring on the X

Agreed!! I ordered the 8 for my business device & the X will be for my primary device, but I prefer the notch over the huge bezels any day.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
...I definitely like the black notch better than the black bar across the top. Bring on the X

... I prefer the notch over the huge bezels any day.

Don’t get me wrong, bezel-less would be my preference, but in regard to the iPhone X, that top notch looks like a partial bezel to me, and when you see it while in an app, it looks like a partially punched ticket or something. Know what I mean?....

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree, I’m fine with the way Apple does their yearly upgrades, but I also agree with the sentiment that every now and again they should implement more new features. Just every 2-3 years, work on those em features that time and out them in.

So Apple is not an innovator in new tech or specs.

Not innovating? I will argue this point every single time. Is 3D mapping new? No. But Apple is the first company that I know of to fit fast and accurate 3D mapping into a phone and in only a tiny little space that occupies that notch you dislike so much. There’s only so much you can do there. And Apple innovates tremendously on internal hardware. Androids still need anywhere between 4-8GB of RAM and around octacore processors to do what Apple has done with 1GB of RAM and a dual core processor. Now the new iPhones have a hexacore processor with 3GB of RAM that outperforms every other smartphone. Apple is the first company I know of to have 4K at 60fps recording capabilities on a phone, and with the exception of a Sony phone, Apple is the first company to implement 1080p at 240fps slow-mo video capture. For most people these are minimal upgrades, but they are great updates because Apple did it all in the same size body and even did it and more in the smaller body of the X.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Don’t get me wrong, bezel-less would be my preference, but in regard to the iPhone X, that top notch looks like a partial bezel to me, and when you see it while in an app, it looks like a partially punched ticket or something. Know what I mean....

Totally understand! I'd just rather have a partial bezel that actually has a reason for being there than full on unusable space. Besides the home button, the huge bezels have been a pet peeve of mine since moving to the iPhone.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Totally understand! I'd just rather have a partial bezel that actually has a reason for being there than full on unusable space. Besides the home button, the huge bezels have been a pet peeve of mine since moving to the iPhone.

Thanks Nikki, now I don't have to write that...LOL

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711