Do you agree or disagree?

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree but I think since the iPhone 8 design mirrors the design of the iPhone 6 people would have liked to see something a little different. Just slimming down the bezels would shut up a lot of people. But that's what the X is for, I suppose. If it does well, I fully expect next year to see X type models as the only iPhones and the iPhone 8 to be the last flagship that resembles anything current. Of course they may still have some budget devices like the (SE or whatever) but they'll go away eventually too.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Totally understand! I'd just rather have a partial bezel that actually has a reason for being there than full on unusable space. Besides the home button, the huge bezels have been a pet peeve of mine since moving to the iPhone.

I agree with this. Been wanted a slimmer bezel for a couple years. However, they do have a reason to be there. That section houses the components that we don't think about (camera, sensors, earpiece, etc....). So it has a reason to be there. Now whether they could have kept those components as is with slimmer bezels AND totally redesigning the phone is a different story lol.

Part of the reason the camera on the X is vertical is because it cannot go horizontal with all of the stuff in the cutout bezel part. I think sometimes we overlook how things on one side of the phone affect the other side. Unfortunately, they cannot cram everything into 1 space without some serious redesigning like we see in the.

So I'm definitely with you. I just think there were legitimate reasons for this, at least in their minds lol.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We can argue "Notch or no notch"... but for me the biggest spec that Apple came out with is the most important spec of all..... PRICE..

We are crossing that $1,000 threshold for the first time. I think that might be the point when people start actually thinking about how much money that is and that at the end of the day.. it is just a cellphone!
’Nuf said

I have owned every Iphone they have made and loved them all, but I don't think that I can cross that $1000 mark. It is not that I can't afford it, it is a matter of principle. I don't think I can do it.
my sentiments, exactly. I’ve stated several times that if the price goes north of $999, I would buy it. The only thing I’m interested in with regard to the iPhone X is the edge to edge display. That’s it. I’ve already ordered an iPhone 8 and will receive it in 4 days. I’m considering getting the iPhone X, but I honestly don’t think I will. By the time pre-orders roll around, I will have had my iPhone 8 a whole month and my mindset will be to move forward with it for a year.

It has made me rethink my spending habits and wondering if I should sell my 7+ (I was offered $700 the other day) and just ride with my SE for a year or so?

I could take that $700 and invest it, take my wife away for the weekend, make an extra car payment etc..... I am just saying that $1000 (or more) is serious money and I think Apple may run into some headwinds with that price point.
I hear you, and you may be right.

I think that people may actually consider a cheaper Iphone, Keep their current one, or God forbid, look at the 100's of Androids that they can buy for a small fraction of the money.

My 2 cents....

Some people will indeed do this. I’m sure of it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The problem I have is they offer such a small and incremental update in the iPhone 8...and then charged MORE for it, lol. Seems like they are taking advantage of the loyalty of their customers, to me. I understand your point about not offering radical changes to avoid alienating the customers who are happy with the status quo. But don't appease them with small upgrades and then charge them more for those upgrades.
Lets not forget that Apple is still a business and like any business, they offer a product or a service at a profit. Sometimes to our liking and sometimes not.

I'm also not sure the hesitation is Apple not wanting to "rock the boat" of their loyal customers. They certainly weren't thinking about that when they removed the headphone jack. I think Apple is capable of being bold with a design change if they chose.
They didn’t just remove the headphone and left people in the cold. They provided the means for customers to continue using the current wired headphones with the new lightning port.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Sure, it could be for some, not for others.. but it's also missing some of the photo that is showing up in the iPhone 8 and 8+

View attachment 119601
... And you only notice this because there's something to reference to. If you were to remove the other two phones, you're simply left with a photo of downtown NYC.
As far as the notch goes, I promise after a few days it will completely disappear. It's easy to focus on the "Notch" now because it's not what you're used to seeing ...

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you 'D.

Now to get on to something that's been bugging me since the S8+ came out and that's all these phones coming out, the Note 8, LG V30, possibly the Pixel XL2, and Essential Phone. These are being labeled as bezel-less phones but that couldn't be further from the truth. They all have freaking bezels! Doesn't matter that they trimmed them down but look at the S8+ and Note 8, you can still see a forehead and chin albeit smaller but they're still there!

The iPhone X is one of the first phones to be truly bezel-less. All these other chump phones still got those foreheads and chins.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this. Been wanted a slimmer bezel for a couple years. However, they do have a reason to be there. That section houses the components that we don't think about (camera, sensors, earpiece, etc....). So it has a reason to be there. Now whether they could have kept those components as is with slimmer bezels AND totally redesigning the phone is a different story lol.

Part of the reason the camera on the X is vertical is because it cannot go horizontal with all of the stuff in the cutout bezel part. I think sometimes we overlook how things on one side of the phone affect the other side. Unfortunately, they cannot cram everything into 1 space without some serious redesigning like we see in the.

So I'm definitely with you. I just think there were legitimate reasons for this, at least in their minds lol.

I agree with you & I thought about the functionality of the large bezels, but I didn't feel like being logical so I just complained & continued to hate them🤷🏾*♀️🤣🤣

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Lets not forget that Apple is still a business and like any business, they offer a product or a service at a profit. Sometimes to our liking and sometimes not.

They didn’t just remove the headphone and left people in the cold. They provided the means for customers to continue using the current wired headphones with the new lightning port.

Remembering they are a business is cool and all...but I believe increases in price are a quicker way to alienate your customer base than design changes. But at the same time, people have the ability to purchase what they choose. I've heard that pre-order numbers are down for the iPhone 8 units. That is to be expected with the X around the corner. But it kind of points towards the notion that people value risks and design changes.

And they didn't leave people high and dry, you are correct. They offered a dongle that a lot of people have lost, lol. I often speak with people who no longer have the dongle and they opted to purchase wireless headphones instead. Which was Apple's intention. But they didn't hesitate to be "courageous" with that decision.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Remembering they are a business is cool and all...but I believe increases in price are a quicker way to alienate your customer base than design changes. But at the same time, people have the ability to purchase what they choose. I've heard that pre-order numbers are down for the iPhone 8 units. That is to be expected with the X around the corner. But it kind of points towards the notion that people value risks and design changes.

And they didn't leave people high and dry, you are correct. They offered a dongle that a lot of people have lost, lol. I often speak with people who no longer have the dongle and they opted to purchase wireless headphones instead. Which was Apple's intention. But they didn't hesitate to be "courageous" with that decision.

In my view I can't believe that apple hasn't raised their prices in the past. It Seema like there are a lot of fanbois that will pay whatever apple sets their prices at.
It does seem that preorder numbers are down as the at&t models don't appear to be backordered. Working in the industry it appears that more people preordered as year over year the launch day sales were down.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
In my view I can't believe that apple hasn't raised their prices in the past. It Seema like there are a lot of fanbois that will pay whatever apple sets their prices at.
It does seem that preorder numbers are down as the at&t models don't appear to be backordered. Working in the industry it appears that more people preordered as year over year the launch day sales were down.

Apple has mastered brand loyalty. You really have to give them credit for that. They make great products and they've reached the point where people will pay just because it's Apple. Have to wonder how long that will last and what people will put up with in the future. This year was a risky year for Apple, in my opinion. I know they'll be fine but it's still interesting.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
... And you only notice this because there's something to reference to. If you were to remove the other two phones, you're simply left with a photo of downtown NYC.
As far as the notch goes, I promise after a few days it will completely disappear. It's easy to focus on the "Notch" now because it's not what you're used to seeing ...

It's what I see when I take the photo.. from a Photographer view point, I want to capture what I see. If the images are the same that's one thing, but if they're cropped that is a different story.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It's what I see when I take the photo.. from a Photographer view point, I want to capture what I see. If the images are the same that's one thing, but if they're cropped that is a different story.

Tapping the screen twice will show cropped images in full, but not edge to edge. It reminds me of some wallpapers I have formatted for Standard view. If I switch to Zoomed view, the side edges don't show when set on the lockscreen. Or when I take a default size 4:3 aspect ratio photo on my 6s Plus, it doesn't fill the screen. If I change the aspect ratio to 16:9, it fills the screen, but is cropped.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Apart from the processor and camera in pixel ranks

Iphone 5 to 5s => touch id (major, although not the first)
Iphone 5s to 6 / +=> phone design and larger screen (major in design, not the first as well)
Iphone 6/+ to 6s/+ => force touch (this is the first)
6s/+ to 7/+ => water resistant ip67 (major but not the first), no headphone jack (if we call this improvement) and double camera for plus version
7:+ to 8/=> glass cover design (nice), wireless charging (hm ...... no comment)
X => well, it’s just simply different with previous iphone

Not the first in every aspect for sure (and that’s make people who hopes for something new, not too excited, including me), but what makes me stay is the ios (stable, fast, secure, frequent update, and can sustain until 5 maybe years update )

eric_bb

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I agree with you 'D.

Now to get on to something that's been bugging me since the S8+ came out and that's all these phones coming out, the Note 8, LG V30, possibly the Pixel XL2, and Essential Phone. These are being labeled as bezel-less phones but that couldn't be further from the truth. They all have freaking bezels! Doesn't matter that they trimmed them down but look at the S8+ and Note 8, you can still see a forehead and chin albeit smaller but they're still there!

The iPhone X is one of the first phones to be truly bezel-less. All these other chump phones still got those foreheads and chins.

That's quite dramatic but inaccurate. The Essential Phone has about as much bezel as the iPhone X, and it has a smaller notch, to boot. The S8 and Note 8 actually look cleaner than the iPhone X, IMO.