Do you agree or disagree?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It’s okay to complain, but at least understand that there’s a rationale to why things are done in the manner that they are.

1. I'm not complaining at all
2. Apple is just being lazy to use the same design 4 years in a row.
3. IF any android OEM even does something similar for 2 years the apple die hards jump all over them (especially this sites own rene, just look at his samsung articles).

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
3. IF any android OEM even does something similar for 2 years the apple die hards jump all over them (especially this sites own rene, just look at his samsung articles).

Exactly! Imagine if an Android used the same design for four generations how the apple fanbois world bash it.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree. That notch reminds me of dating a very attractive person with a huge zit on the tip of their nose. You cannot help but look at it when you're trying to enjoy everything else.

LOL. Great analogy, but I still would prefer the nose zit over a big forehead (HUGE bezels).... LOL

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If I had never seen the brouhaha over the "notch", I would never have thought anything about it. I think it looks fine. Seems nitpicky to me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
1. I'm not complaining at all

Oh, I didn’t mean “you”. I was speaking in general terms. As for Apple being lazy, you could be right, but also, if the same design is selling the same or better than the previous year’s model, it’s smart for them to keep the design going, in my opinion. As for point 3, I pay little attention to what other manufacturers do with their products, and I’m definitely not going to waste my time putting someone down for choosing a product they like.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree, most people (especially technology ) hate radical change, maybe that's why the 8, 8 plus and X

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I really think everyone is making a huge deal about the notch. For most everything it won’t in the way, it’ll only be in the way of videos if you make it go in the way. Sure it’s bigger than Essential’s, but it also does a lot more than Essential’s single camera.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I really think everyone is making a huge deal about the notch. For most everything it won’t in the way, it’ll only be in the way of videos if you make it go in the way. Sure it’s bigger than Essential’s, but it also does a lot more than Essential’s single camera.

I really think for most people it's the unfamiliar look, not function.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I think it looks horrible, not saying it will interfere with daily usage but it looks really bad. The screen real estate that is being used due to the notch being there is for status icons. If there was just a straight line across it would look so much cleaner, it's a poor aesthetic choice. I am really surprised a company like apple did this. When I see a picture of the X all I see is the top right and left corners with the status icons. It seems to be be main focal point to me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think it looks horrible, not saying it will interfere with daily usage but it looks really bad. The screen real estate that is being used due to the notch being there is for status icons. If there was just a straight line across it would look so much cleaner, it's a poor aesthetic choice. I am really surprised a company like apple did this. When I see a picture of the X all I see is the top right and left corners with the status icons. It seems to be be main focal point to me.

The "notch" is where the infrared camera is located that scans your face for Face ID and to open the phone.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
We can argue "Notch or no notch"... but for me the biggest spec that Apple came out with is the most important spec of all..... PRICE..

We are crossing that $1,000 threshold for the first time. I think that might be the point when people start actually thinking about how much money that is and that at the end of the day.. it is just a cellphone!

I have owned every Iphone they have made and loved them all, but I don't think that I can cross that $1000 mark. It is not that I can't afford it, it is a matter of principle. I don't think I can do it.

It has made me rethink my spending habits and wondering if I should sell my 7+ (I was offered $700 the other day) and just ride with my SE for a year or so?

I could take that $700 and invest it, take my wife away for the weekend, make an extra car payment etc..... I am just saying that $1000 (or more) is serious money and I think Apple may run into some headwinds with that price point.

I think that people may actually consider a cheaper Iphone, Keep their current one, or God forbid, look at the 100's of Androids that they can buy for a small fraction of the money.

My 2 cents....

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I agree with D. And when I see these posts... "which one is better".... I always think, the answer is another question "which one is better... for you". We're all individuals, who have different likes, dislikes, tastes, preferences... etc. And, fwiw, I prefer Apple's way of doing things.

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
We can argue "Notch or no notch"... but for me the biggest spec that Apple came out with is the most important spec of all..... PRICE..

We are crossing that $1,000 threshold for the first time. I think that might be the point when people start actually thinking about how much money that is and that at the end of the day.. it is just a cellphone!

I have owned every Iphone they have made and loved them all, but I don't think that I can cross that $1000 mark. It is not that I can't afford it, it is a matter of principle. I don't think I can do it.

It has made me rethink my spending habits and wondering if I should sell my 7+ (I was offered $700 the other day) and just ride with my SE for a year or so?

I could take that $700 and invest it, take my wife away for the weekend, make an extra car payment etc..... I am just saying that $1000 (or more) is serious money and I think Apple may run into some headwinds with that price point.

I think that people may actually consider a cheaper Iphone, Keep their current one, or God forbid, look at the 100's of Androids that they can buy for a small fraction of the money.

My 2 cents....

Very well said! I completely agree!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
LOL. Great analogy, but I still would prefer the nose zit over a big forehead (HUGE bezels).... LOL

I need to stay off the forums while at work, y’all got me over here dying laughing🤣🤣

If I had never seen the brouhaha over the "notch", I would never have thought anything about it. I think it looks fine. Seems nitpicky to me.

I agree!!! It shouldn’t even matter that much🤷🏾*♀️

Agreed!!! People are making assumptions based on something they haven’t even used. It reminds me of the micro abrasions thing with the Jet Black iPhone last year. Everyone uses their device differently & just because some had issues doesn’t mean everyone will.

I really think for most people it's the unfamiliar look, not function.

This is so true, but it’s hilarious at the same time because people want drastic change, Apple gave it to them, then they complain....can’t win for losing🤦🏾*♀️

My 2 cents....

The price is definitely pretty steep, but there’s a cheaper option. People shouldn’t feel the need to just buy something because it’s available & it’s the top of the line option.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Let’s get real for a moment. Every year, in regard to the iPhone, various people complain that not much has changed from the previous year. Although the statement is true, that is how it is suppose to be. If a company is uber successful in selling a particular smartphone every year like Apple is, it is not going to radically alter their best selling product year in and year out. That wouldn’t be smart because doing so could risk alienating their customer base. Instead, it provides incremental upgrades typically in the form of an updated iOS version and some better specs. Why? Because it understands that almost everyone looks forward to something “new”, but few are accepting of change. Do you agree or disagree? Either way, state your opinion below....

The problem I have is they offer such a small and incremental update in the iPhone 8...and then charged MORE for it, lol. Seems like they are taking advantage of the loyalty of their customers, to me. I understand your point about not offering radical changes to avoid alienating the customers who are happy with the status quo. But don't appease them with small upgrades and then charge them more for those upgrades.

I'm also not sure the hesitation is Apple not wanting to "rock the boat" of their loyal customers. They certainly weren't thinking about that when they removed the headphone jack. I think Apple is capable of being bold with a design change if they chose.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't disagree more. I think this is just what Apple needed to do. After four years of the same design, it was definitely time for a drastic change. I also understand everyone has an opinion on the X, but are we looking at the same iPhone X. That iPhone in the middle is BEAUTIFUL ...

Sure, it could be for some, not for others.. but it's also missing some of the photo that is showing up in the iPhone 8 and 8+

missing.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR