Do you agree or disagree?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I’m fine with the way Apple does their yearly upgrades, but I also agree with the sentiment that every now and again they should implement more new features. Just every 2-3 years, work on those em features that time and out them in.

Not innovating? I will argue this point every single time. Is 3D mapping new? No. But Apple is the first company that I know of to fit fast and accurate 3D mapping into a phone and in only a tiny little space that occupies that notch you dislike so much. There’s only so much you can do there. And Apple innovates tremendously on internal hardware. Androids still need anywhere between 4-8GB of RAM and around octacore processors to do what Apple has done with 1GB of RAM and a dual core processor. Now the new iPhones have a hexacore processor with 3GB of RAM that outperforms every other smartphone. Apple is the first company I know of to have 4K at 60fps recording capabilities on a phone, and with the exception of a Sony phone, Apple is the first company to implement 1080p at 240fps slow-mo video capture. For most people these are minimal upgrades, but they are great updates because Apple did it all in the same size body and even did it and more in the smaller body of the X.

If you read what I posted and then read what you posted, you will see that you have just made my points.
3D mapping isn't new, Apple made it better and put it on a phone.
Android phones outspec Apple on hardware yet Apple makes their phones better with lower RAM.
Apple follows Sony in photography capability but it's perfectly executed in their devices.

That's my point. With every qualifier you wrote, you proved my point that Apple takes what is out there and optimises it in their implementation to where it's a simpler, more capable, and therefore better lends itself to the different types of customers who use its products.

Not going to get into a war here. I answered the OP's point as to whether I agreed. I agreed. There are those who will not and that's cool.

Peace out.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Everyone’s opinion in this thread has been well-received and I appreciate all of them. Thank you.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
If you read what I posted and then read what you posted, you will see that you have just made my points.
3D mapping isn't new, Apple made it better and put it on a phone.
Android phones outspec Apple on hardware yet Apple makes their phones better with lower RAM.
Apple follows Sony in photography capability but it's perfectly executed in their devices.

That's my point. With every qualifier you wrote, you proved my point that Apple takes what is out there and optimises it in their implementation to where it's a simpler, more capable, and therefore better lends itself to the different types of customers who use its products.

Not going to get into a war here. I answered the OP's point as to whether I agreed. I agreed. There are those who will not and that's cool.

Peace out.

I’m not trying to get into an argument either, I know my comment contradicts that a bit with my phrasing. But my point is, Apple needs serious innovation to do all of that and more in the same body they’ve been using. If they spent as much time and effort researching more features as they do with internals, they could easily have the most and best feature sets on any phone.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I’m not trying to get into an argument either, I know my comment contradicts that a bit with my phrasing. But my point is, Apple needs serious innovation to do all of that and more in the same body they’ve been using. If they spent as much time and effort researching more features as they do with internals, they could easily have the most and best feature sets on any phone.

I think they're doing OK and following their vision. Once you start straying from that you get into trouble.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't disagree more. I think this is just what Apple needed to do. After four years of the same design, it was definitely time for a drastic change. I also understand everyone has an opinion on the X, but are we looking at the same iPhone X. That iPhone in the middle is BEAUTIFUL ...
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170917/791b87ea3ba2d238a3426cf45f05b48b.jpg

Looking at that form factor that is slightly larger than the 4.7” with a 5.5” screen is why I’m holding out until 10/27 lol

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
I disagree slightly. While it may make sense not to upset the apple cart (no pun intended) by keeping design close, a tech company needs to be bold. The speed of change within technology is blisteringly fast. Think about when the iPhone first launched. It was truly a paradigm shift. Not only for communication, but it changed other industries including music and photography forever. That's bold and that's what people think of when they think of Apple.

Cook plays it safe and I get that for business reasons. However, I was happier to see the direction that they're going with the X. They are at least trying something new, which demands to be done! The 8/8+...meh.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Let’s get real for a moment. Every year, in regard to the iPhone, various people complain that not much has changed from the previous year. Although the statement is true, that is how it is suppose to be. If a company is uber successful in selling a particular smartphone every year like Apple is, it is not going to radically alter their best selling product year in and year out. That wouldn’t be smart because doing so could risk alienating their customer base. Instead, it provides incremental upgrades typically in the form of an updated iOS version and some better specs. Why? Because it understands that almost everyone looks forward to something “new”, but few are accepting of change. Do you agree or disagree? Either way, state your opinion below....
Regarding the 8/8+. yes they won't change dramatically year in and year out, but apple has been using the same design for 4 years now, so people have a right to complain about the 8/8+

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
My interest in the iPhone X is solely with the edge to edge display, but like you, I do not like that notch at the top of it. I would have preferred the items therein blend in with the screen.

That notch is why I'm torn between the X and the 8 Plus. To say it's ugly is giving it a compliment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
That notch is why I'm torn between the X and the 8 Plus. To say it's ugly is giving it a compliment.

To "notch" or "not to notch" ...That is the question... LOL...
In my opinion it would look like an Android device...
fcf2fabbcb05aa2cc921b3ea293e08bc.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the 8/8+. yes they won't change dramatically year in and year out, but apple has been using the same design for 4 years now, so people have a right to complain about the 8/8+

It’s okay to complain, but at least understand that there’s a rationale to why things are done in the manner that they are.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

I agree. That notch reminds me of dating a very attractive person with a huge zit on the tip of their nose. You cannot help but look at it when you're trying to enjoy everything else.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73