I really think everyone is making a huge deal about the notch. For most everything it won’t in the way, it’ll only be in the way of videos if you make it go in the way. Sure it’s bigger than Essential’s, but it also does a lot more than Essential’s single camera.
    I really think for most people it's the unfamiliar look, not function.
    libra89, nikkisharif and swarlos like this.
    09-17-2017 06:27 PM
    I think it looks horrible, not saying it will interfere with daily usage but it looks really bad. The screen real estate that is being used due to the notch being there is for status icons. If there was just a straight line across it would look so much cleaner, it's a poor aesthetic choice. I am really surprised a company like apple did this. When I see a picture of the X all I see is the top right and left corners with the status icons. It seems to be be main focal point to me.
    09-17-2017 06:32 PM
    I think it looks horrible, not saying it will interfere with daily usage but it looks really bad. The screen real estate that is being used due to the notch being there is for status icons. If there was just a straight line across it would look so much cleaner, it's a poor aesthetic choice. I am really surprised a company like apple did this. When I see a picture of the X all I see is the top right and left corners with the status icons. It seems to be be main focal point to me.
    The "notch" is where the infrared camera is located that scans your face for Face ID and to open the phone.
    09-17-2017 10:35 PM
    We can argue "Notch or no notch"... but for me the biggest spec that Apple came out with is the most important spec of all..... PRICE..

We are crossing that $1,000 threshold for the first time. I think that might be the point when people start actually thinking about how much money that is and that at the end of the day.. it is just a cellphone!

I have owned every Iphone they have made and loved them all, but I don't think that I can cross that $1000 mark. It is not that I can't afford it, it is a matter of principle. I don't think I can do it.

It has made me rethink my spending habits and wondering if I should sell my 7+ (I was offered $700 the other day) and just ride with my SE for a year or so?

I could take that $700 and invest it, take my wife away for the weekend, make an extra car payment etc..... I am just saying that $1000 (or more) is serious money and I think Apple may run into some headwinds with that price point.

I think that people may actually consider a cheaper Iphone, Keep their current one, or God forbid, look at the 100's of Androids that they can buy for a small fraction of the money.

My 2 cents....
    09-18-2017 08:29 AM
    The "notch" is where the infrared camera is located that scans your face for Face ID and to open the phone.
    Right but if they just went straight across and had a 1" straight bezel it would look 10x better.
    09-18-2017 08:30 AM
    I agree with D. And when I see these posts... "which one is better".... I always think, the answer is another question "which one is better... for you". We're all individuals, who have different likes, dislikes, tastes, preferences... etc. And, fwiw, I prefer Apple's way of doing things.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    09-18-2017 09:20 AM
    We can argue "Notch or no notch"... but for me the biggest spec that Apple came out with is the most important spec of all..... PRICE..

We are crossing that $1,000 threshold for the first time. I think that might be the point when people start actually thinking about how much money that is and that at the end of the day.. it is just a cellphone!

I have owned every Iphone they have made and loved them all, but I don't think that I can cross that $1000 mark. It is not that I can't afford it, it is a matter of principle. I don't think I can do it.

It has made me rethink my spending habits and wondering if I should sell my 7+ (I was offered $700 the other day) and just ride with my SE for a year or so?

I could take that $700 and invest it, take my wife away for the weekend, make an extra car payment etc..... I am just saying that $1000 (or more) is serious money and I think Apple may run into some headwinds with that price point.

I think that people may actually consider a cheaper Iphone, Keep their current one, or God forbid, look at the 100's of Androids that they can buy for a small fraction of the money.

My 2 cents....
    Very well said! I completely agree!
    RobertP1 and mbar9607 like this.
    09-18-2017 09:25 AM
    LOL. Great analogy, but I still would prefer the nose zit over a big forehead (HUGE bezels).... LOL
    I need to stay off the forums while at work, y’all got me over here dying laughing🤣🤣

If I had never seen the brouhaha over the "notch", I would never have thought anything about it. I think it looks fine. Seems nitpicky to me.
    I agree!!! It shouldn’t even matter that much🤷🏾*♀️

I really think everyone is making a huge deal about the notch. For most everything it won’t in the way, it’ll only be in the way of videos if you make it go in the way. Sure it’s bigger than Essential’s, but it also does a lot more than Essential’s single camera.
    Agreed!!! People are making assumptions based on something they haven’t even used. It reminds me of the micro abrasions thing with the Jet Black iPhone last year. Everyone uses their device differently & just because some had issues doesn’t mean everyone will.

I really think for most people it's the unfamiliar look, not function.
    This is so true, but it’s hilarious at the same time because people want drastic change, Apple gave it to them, then they complain....can’t win for losing🤦🏾*♀️

My 2 cents....
    The price is definitely pretty steep, but there’s a cheaper option. People shouldn’t feel the need to just buy something because it’s available & it’s the top of the line option.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    09-18-2017 09:26 AM
    Let’s get real for a moment. Every year, in regard to the iPhone, various people complain that not much has changed from the previous year. Although the statement is true, that is how it is suppose to be. If a company is uber successful in selling a particular smartphone every year like Apple is, it is not going to radically alter their best selling product year in and year out. That wouldn’t be smart because doing so could risk alienating their customer base. Instead, it provides incremental upgrades typically in the form of an updated iOS version and some better specs. Why? Because it understands that almost everyone looks forward to something “new”, but few are accepting of change. Do you agree or disagree? Either way, state your opinion below....
    The problem I have is they offer such a small and incremental update in the iPhone 8...and then charged MORE for it, lol. Seems like they are taking advantage of the loyalty of their customers, to me. I understand your point about not offering radical changes to avoid alienating the customers who are happy with the status quo. But don't appease them with small upgrades and then charge them more for those upgrades.

I'm also not sure the hesitation is Apple not wanting to "rock the boat" of their loyal customers. They certainly weren't thinking about that when they removed the headphone jack. I think Apple is capable of being bold with a design change if they chose.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    09-18-2017 09:37 AM
    I couldn't disagree more. I think this is just what Apple needed to do. After four years of the same design, it was definitely time for a drastic change. I also understand everyone has an opinion on the X, but are we looking at the same iPhone X. That iPhone in the middle is BEAUTIFUL ...
    Sure, it could be for some, not for others.. but it's also missing some of the photo that is showing up in the iPhone 8 and 8+

Do you agree or disagree?-missing.jpg
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    09-18-2017 12:41 PM
    Sure, it could be for some, not for others.. but it's also missing some of the photo that is showing up in the iPhone 8 and 8+

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missing.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	119601
    Thanks I never realized that!
    09-18-2017 01:02 PM
    To "notch" or "not to notch" ...That is the question... LOL...
    In my opinion it would look like an Android device...
    https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ea293e08bc.jpg
    If there wasn't a notch at the top like the picture to your right, it doesn't mean that bezel needs to be added to the lip of the phone.
    09-18-2017 01:04 PM
    The one without the notch looks so much better.
    i agree, they can still take the screen all the way to the bottom
    09-18-2017 02:11 PM
    I agree but I think since the iPhone 8 design mirrors the design of the iPhone 6 people would have liked to see something a little different. Just slimming down the bezels would shut up a lot of people. But that's what the X is for, I suppose. If it does well, I fully expect next year to see X type models as the only iPhones and the iPhone 8 to be the last flagship that resembles anything current. Of course they may still have some budget devices like the (SE or whatever) but they'll go away eventually too.
    09-18-2017 03:54 PM
    Totally understand! I'd just rather have a partial bezel that actually has a reason for being there than full on unusable space. Besides the home button, the huge bezels have been a pet peeve of mine since moving to the iPhone.
    I agree with this. Been wanted a slimmer bezel for a couple years. However, they do have a reason to be there. That section houses the components that we don't think about (camera, sensors, earpiece, etc....). So it has a reason to be there. Now whether they could have kept those components as is with slimmer bezels AND totally redesigning the phone is a different story lol.

Part of the reason the camera on the X is vertical is because it cannot go horizontal with all of the stuff in the cutout bezel part. I think sometimes we overlook how things on one side of the phone affect the other side. Unfortunately, they cannot cram everything into 1 space without some serious redesigning like we see in the.

So I'm definitely with you. I just think there were legitimate reasons for this, at least in their minds lol.
    nikkisharif likes this.
    09-18-2017 04:01 PM

’Nuf said

my sentiments, exactly. I’ve stated several times that if the price goes north of $999, I would buy it. The only thing I’m interested in with regard to the iPhone X is the edge to edge display. That’s it. I’ve already ordered an iPhone 8 and will receive it in 4 days. I’m considering getting the iPhone X, but I honestly don’t think I will. By the time pre-orders roll around, I will have had my iPhone 8 a whole month and my mindset will be to move forward with it for a year.

I hear you, and you may be right.

My 2 cents....
    Some people will indeed do this. I’m sure of it.
    RobertP1 likes this.
    09-18-2017 06:14 PM
    The problem I have is they offer such a small and incremental update in the iPhone 8...and then charged MORE for it, lol. Seems like they are taking advantage of the loyalty of their customers, to me. I understand your point about not offering radical changes to avoid alienating the customers who are happy with the status quo. But don't appease them with small upgrades and then charge them more for those upgrades.
    Lets not forget that Apple is still a business and like any business, they offer a product or a service at a profit. Sometimes to our liking and sometimes not.

I'm also not sure the hesitation is Apple not wanting to "rock the boat" of their loyal customers. They certainly weren't thinking about that when they removed the headphone jack. I think Apple is capable of being bold with a design change if they chose.
    They didn’t just remove the headphone and left people in the cold. They provided the means for customers to continue using the current wired headphones with the new lightning port.
    firstborn80 likes this.
    09-18-2017 06:20 PM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	missing.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	119601
    ... And you only notice this because there's something to reference to. If you were to remove the other two phones, you're simply left with a photo of downtown NYC.
    As far as the notch goes, I promise after a few days it will completely disappear. It's easy to focus on the "Notch" now because it's not what you're used to seeing ...
    nikkisharif and Spencerdl like this.
    09-19-2017 02:14 AM
    I agree with you 'D.

Now to get on to something that's been bugging me since the S8+ came out and that's all these phones coming out, the Note 8, LG V30, possibly the Pixel XL2, and Essential Phone. These are being labeled as bezel-less phones but that couldn't be further from the truth. They all have freaking bezels! Doesn't matter that they trimmed them down but look at the S8+ and Note 8, you can still see a forehead and chin albeit smaller but they're still there!

The iPhone X is one of the first phones to be truly bezel-less. All these other chump phones still got those foreheads and chins.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    09-19-2017 03:34 AM
    I agree with this. Been wanted a slimmer bezel for a couple years. However, they do have a reason to be there. That section houses the components that we don't think about (camera, sensors, earpiece, etc....). So it has a reason to be there. Now whether they could have kept those components as is with slimmer bezels AND totally redesigning the phone is a different story lol.

Part of the reason the camera on the X is vertical is because it cannot go horizontal with all of the stuff in the cutout bezel part. I think sometimes we overlook how things on one side of the phone affect the other side. Unfortunately, they cannot cram everything into 1 space without some serious redesigning like we see in the.

So I'm definitely with you. I just think there were legitimate reasons for this, at least in their minds lol.
    I agree with you & I thought about the functionality of the large bezels, but I didn't feel like being logical so I just complained & continued to hate them🤷🏾*♀️🤣🤣
    Spencerdl likes this.
    09-19-2017 04:42 AM
    The iPhone X is one of the first phones to be truly bezel-less. All these other chump phones still got those foreheads and chins.
    LOL..Is it October 27th yet?...Bring on the "X"
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    09-19-2017 08:34 AM
    Lets not forget that Apple is still a business and like any business, they offer a product or a service at a profit. Sometimes to our liking and sometimes not.

They didn’t just remove the headphone and left people in the cold. They provided the means for customers to continue using the current wired headphones with the new lightning port.
    Remembering they are a business is cool and all...but I believe increases in price are a quicker way to alienate your customer base than design changes. But at the same time, people have the ability to purchase what they choose. I've heard that pre-order numbers are down for the iPhone 8 units. That is to be expected with the X around the corner. But it kind of points towards the notion that people value risks and design changes.

And they didn't leave people high and dry, you are correct. They offered a dongle that a lot of people have lost, lol. I often speak with people who no longer have the dongle and they opted to purchase wireless headphones instead. Which was Apple's intention. But they didn't hesitate to be "courageous" with that decision.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    09-19-2017 11:40 AM
    Remembering they are a business is cool and all...but I believe increases in price are a quicker way to alienate your customer base than design changes. But at the same time, people have the ability to purchase what they choose. I've heard that pre-order numbers are down for the iPhone 8 units. That is to be expected with the X around the corner. But it kind of points towards the notion that people value risks and design changes.

And they didn't leave people high and dry, you are correct. They offered a dongle that a lot of people have lost, lol. I often speak with people who no longer have the dongle and they opted to purchase wireless headphones instead. Which was Apple's intention. But they didn't hesitate to be "courageous" with that decision.
    In my view I can't believe that apple hasn't raised their prices in the past. It Seema like there are a lot of fanbois that will pay whatever apple sets their prices at.
    It does seem that preorder numbers are down as the at&t models don't appear to be backordered. Working in the industry it appears that more people preordered as year over year the launch day sales were down.
    09-19-2017 12:04 PM
    In my view I can't believe that apple hasn't raised their prices in the past. It Seema like there are a lot of fanbois that will pay whatever apple sets their prices at.
    It does seem that preorder numbers are down as the at&t models don't appear to be backordered. Working in the industry it appears that more people preordered as year over year the launch day sales were down.
    Apple has mastered brand loyalty. You really have to give them credit for that. They make great products and they've reached the point where people will pay just because it's Apple. Have to wonder how long that will last and what people will put up with in the future. This year was a risky year for Apple, in my opinion. I know they'll be fine but it's still interesting.
    DMP89145 likes this.
    09-19-2017 01:53 PM
    ... And you only notice this because there's something to reference to. If you were to remove the other two phones, you're simply left with a photo of downtown NYC.
    As far as the notch goes, I promise after a few days it will completely disappear. It's easy to focus on the "Notch" now because it's not what you're used to seeing ...
    It's what I see when I take the photo.. from a Photographer view point, I want to capture what I see. If the images are the same that's one thing, but if they're cropped that is a different story.
    BreakingKayfabe likes this.
    09-19-2017 02:00 PM
78 1234