New HD Retina display

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
So on Tuesday Apple announced that iPhone 8 has a new HD Retina display, but correct me if i am wrong didn’t the HD Retina display come with iPhone 7?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
So on Tuesday Apple announced that iPhone 8 has a new HD Retina display, but correct me if i am wrong didn’t the HD Retina display come with iPhone 7?

That depends on what you call new. The only real new upgrade is the Super Retina on iPhone X. There may be some minor improvements to the screen between the 7 and 8, but they would be minor.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I read through the specs from the best I can tell this is the list of improvements in the iPhone 8 compared to the iPhone 7:

• Faster SoC and Motion Processor (A11/M11)
  • Marginally larger dimensions and weight (uses same cases)
  • Bluetooth 5.0 vs. 4.2 (4x range, 2x transfer speed, supports 2 devices simultaneously, better audio)
  • Video playback in 24 fps and 60 fps for 4K video, in addition to 30 fps
  • Video playback slow motion 1080 @ 240 fps
  • Video playback in DolbyVision and HDR10
  • CPU 6 core (2 hi-perf) vs. 2+2; ??? GHz vs. 2.34 GHz (need to wait until tear down discovers CPU speed)
  • Custom GPU 25% - 30% faster
  • Wireless charging - superset of Qi standard
  • New gyroscope and accelerator (for AR)
  • Advanced LTE cellular, band 66 "gigabit LTE"
  • New camera sensor:
    • 83% more light
    • better color saturation
    • wider dynamic range
    • lower noise in pictures
  • True Tone display (warmth based on ambient light)
  • NFC in reader mode vs. NFC for Apple Pay only (reader mode: capable of reading any NFC Forum-mandated tag types)
  • Fast charging, 50% charge in 30 minutes (requires suitable power adapter)
  • Japan's QZSS and European Union's Galileo GPS constellation systems
  • Stronger glass

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Wow thank you for sharing that I am happy to see the advanced lte and 6 core processor ? That mean speed difference will be obvious on the 8

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I've just been comparing specs on the Apple website and retina HD is on iPhone 7 too. The iPhone 8 has the same pixel density, same contrast ratio and both support the wide colour display (P3). The only real addition to the 8 seems to be the addition of True Tone.

The iPhone X has what they are calling the super Retina HD display which does has a higher pixel density which I suppose is nice but it's not like the standard display is blocky

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I've just been comparing specs on the Apple website and retina HD is on iPhone 7 too. The iPhone 8 has the same pixel density, same contrast ratio and both support the wide colour display (P3). The only real addition to the 8 seems to be the addition of True Tone.

The iPhone X has what they are calling the super Retina HD display which does has a higher pixel density which I suppose is nice but it's not like the standard display is blocky

That is correct.
The X has a higher pixel density, and the display is an OLED display with True Tone too.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

I just read this morning on 9to5Mac that in addition to the True Tone display, there are "minor improvements in color accuracy" compared to the iPhone 7. What that means is to be determined of course, I suspect some of the more technical hands on will measure and compare color gamuts to clarify the remark which probably came direct from Apple.