Ok, honestly....do you NEED 512 GB?!

mchi5

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Storage goes by quickly. I recently played around with my wife's old iPhone 6s, 128gb after she moved to the 7+, and she used up 83 gb on the 6s

80gb were pics and videos! 80gb. She takes a lot of pics of our kids, dog, vacation pics and videos etc. the storage gets used up fast...

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I've currently got an iPhone 6 with 64Gb and am doing ok with that so my answer is that I don't need 512Gb.

That said, newer phones with better cameras with higher resolution stills, 4K video and Live Photos would mean that 64Gb wouldn't be enough for me if I upgraded. I think if I order a new phone next week I'll be looking at 128Gb.

Joao Oliveira

Sep 9, 2017
Visit site
Well, think that you still use an iphone 4 or 5 with 32gb's wich was a good amount of storage at the time. If you were using that phone now (many people still are) you wouldn't have regreted having that amount of storage.

Iphone 8 will record at 4k 60p, and if you record a lot of those, you will find yourself going through memory really fast.

So in 3 or 4 years, the 512 might to be overkill as it feels now

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I've heard the rumors and talks about Apple introducing the 512 GB iPhone 8 model. I've started to think more and more about this possibility and how it relates to my uses.

I've determined that I don't need that much. I've got the 256 GB model currently and I've got around 140 GB left over. If I continue annual upgrades, there is no point in me spending the extra for a 512 GB iPhone that I'll never fill. 256 GB works for me because it gives me a nice cushion.

What works best for you?

I will be fine with 64gb. I do not load movies and what not on my phone, so that is plenty of space. I can see people needing it if they load every song and movie on their device. I put my music from iTunes and all the pics I take and rarely use more than about 20 gb storage.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I love taking videos and photos. If 4K 60FPS is going to be on the new iPhone, I’ll be using most of my 512 to store those videos and my old photo library.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
You should not think of large storage in the context of today's media. Once you start to talk downloaded or recorded 4K movies, then you're going to be needing a lot more storage. Remember, Apple is going 4K now too.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
You should not think of large storage in the context of today's media. Once you start to talk downloaded or recorded 4K movies, then you're going to be needing a lot more storage. Remember, Apple is going 4K now too.

True, but it all depends on what you use your phone for. If you don't use it to watch movies, it doesn't matter. If you do, it certainly does. That's why it's good to have choices.

anon(10004440)

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
The only reason I ponder getting a 64GB or 128GB size this time is because once I am done with the phones they get handed down to my kids for another couple of years.

Right now I have a 16GB SE with 4.7GB of free space. But I move my photos and videos off it ever month.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
^THIS!!!! I definitely need it. It's more convenient when traveling and I don't have to remember to download anything before I leave.

Travel or not, I don't see a point in keeping movies I've watched multiple times already on my phone. I'm likely to just rent something new, at which point i happily delete it when it's over. I don't download tons of rentals to have sitting there for weeks ahead of time - movie rental prices are fairly stable outside of promotions here and there.

I have about 4 GB of music that I keep on my phone as well. I get most non music media through Amazon, and I have a Kindle fire for that. It's better for media consumption than a tiny phone, IMO.

So 128GB is comfortable for me. I wouldn't pay the premium for 256 and definitely not 512. People using that storage are creating reasons to use it so ply to justify the cost, in many cases.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Travel or not, I don't see a point in keeping movies I've watched multiple times already on my phone. I'm likely to just rent something new, at which point i happily delete it when it's over. I don't download tons of rentals to have sitting there for weeks ahead of time - movie rental prices are fairly stable outside of promotions here and there.

I have about 4 GB of music that I keep on my phone as well. I get most non music media through Amazon, and I have a Kindle fire for that. It's better for media consumption than a tiny phone, IMO.

So 128GB is comfortable for me. I wouldn't pay the premium for 256 and definitely not 512. People using that storage are creating reasons to use it so ply to justify the cost, in many cases.

Nope. Your use case is yours. It applies to you. It doesn't apply to everyone and it doesn't apply to me.

I have a certain number movies and TV shows that I love. I see no need to spend money in renting something different in a hotel somewhere or when I'm stuck on a long travel when I could just as easily watch WWZ or Dirty Dancing for the elenventybillionth time. That's my use case and my preference and I buy accordingly. I'm not making an excuse for anything. It's what I prefer to do.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods