iPhone Upgrade Program

jimpilot

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone heard any info on how the upgrade program will work this year? If we have to wait several months passed Sept for the 8 that will end up costing us $$$$

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I’m assuming it will work the same way as last year but we won’t know anything until a product announcement is made.
How will waiting cost us money? Sure, we might be paying on our current devices for a little while longer but we’re also getting more use out of them. If anything we’d be saving money because the new iPhone will likely have a higher monthly payment.
My main concern here is a late release this year followed by a September release next year. iUP requires 12 monthly payments (or the dollar equivalent to 12 months of payments) before being eligible for an upgrade. I’m a die hard iPhone fan that has gotten my last several iPhones on launch day. If I end up having to wait past launch in 2018 I won’t be thrilled. I refuse to give them extra money just to get out of my iUP obligation before the 12 months.

portgordon

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I’m hoping Apple will be making some improvements to the iUP this year following from the feedback of last year - perhaps to help iUP users get some priority. I hope that the iPhone 8 is actually included in the iUP - there’s always a chance that only the 7S/7S+ would be available if the rumours of three devices and limited availability on the 8 are true. As with everything we won’t know anything until it is announced, but my hope is that iUP users will get some priority for ordering and that we’ll be able to get the iPhone8 if we choose. Looking forward to finding out in September!

dcunited08

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Will there be a high-end iPhone every year? If so the yearly upgrade plan makes sense. Starting at $80 maybe. I wonder if the phone will be available via carriers at all.

jimpilot

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I’m assuming it will work the same way as last year but we won’t know anything until a product announcement is made.
How will waiting cost us money? Sure, we might be paying on our current devices for a little while longer but we’re also getting more use out of them. If anything we’d be saving money because the new iPhone will likely have a higher monthly payment.
My main concern here is a late release this year followed by a September release next year. iUP requires 12 monthly payments (or the dollar equivalent to 12 months of payments) before being eligible for an upgrade. I’m a die hard iPhone fan that has gotten my last several iPhones on launch day. If I end up having to wait past launch in 2018 I won’t be thrilled. I refuse to give them extra money just to get out of my iUP obligation before the 12 months.

Well you end up paying an extra payment on your current phone and still have to pay 12 months (or 24) on your new phone before you move to next phone. So if nothing else you end up committed for an additional month.

Hopefully after the phone is announced Apple will email or contact each AUP member and allow you to reserve a phone via a special web site or something like that. Then you can pick up on launch day.

That would work for me

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully after the phone is announced Apple will email or contact each AUP member and allow you to reserve a phone via a special web site or something like that. Then you can pick up on launch day.

That would work for me

That would be nice, especially after last year’s fiasco. I was lucky enough to get a new phone on launch day but many other iUP users were left in the dark.

DianaAW

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
No. You’d have to stick with Verizon. They’re not going to let you turn in a phone a year early if they’re not getting anything out of it.

So you would have to pay off your phone then sell it in order to get your money back to switch to the Apple program?

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You'd only have to sell off half of your phone and return it to Verizon to upgrade. And then you can switch to the Apple program.

I think @DianaAW is trying to figure out how to get out of her Verizon agreement without it costing anything to her. In this case she would have to pay off her agreement so that she has the ability to sell the device and reimburse herself. You can’t sell half of an iPhone.

DianaAW

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
I think @DianaAW is trying to figure out how to get out of her Verizon agreement without it costing anything to her. In this case she would have to pay off her agreement so that she has the ability to sell the device and reimburse herself. You can’t sell half of an iPhone.

That's almost correct. I'm with ATT and on their Next program where I can upgrade every year. I just wanted to switch to the Apple Upgrade program this year.