Home iMore Q&A > iPhone 8

How certain are we that a new iPhone is coming in Sept?

Asked: Aug 08 2017 | 5:00 am EDT 3243 Views 31 Answers View Best Answer

How certain are we that the iPhone 8 is coming in September, I'm due a new photo in September, but I'm worried that I might have to wait until Xmas or even into next year

Best Answer

Aug 08 2017 | 6:04 am EDT Rob Phillips

I think that Apple’s intention is always to release a new iPhone every year in September. The iPhone is the majority of their revenue and I think they work very hard to make that happen. That said, there have been rumors of supply constraints and possible production delays as a result. Even if that’s the case I would be flabbergasted if we don’t see new iPhones in 2017.

Nobody knows anything until Uncle Timmy stands on stage and tells us. It’s all hearsay up until that very moment.

More Answers

Aug 08 2017 | 5:03 am EDT TripleOne

We won't know for sure, but Apple will sent out invitations before the event. If you can, just wait it out and I'm sure it's going to be worth it!
Aug 08 2017 | 6:52 am EDT Spencerdl

Nobody knows anything until Uncle Timmy stands on stage and tells us. It’s all hearsay up until that very moment.
Exactly this.
Aug 08 2017 | 9:49 am EDT camaroz1985

We know a new one is coming out, so it would probably be best to be patient and wait a little longer if need be. Might have to wait a couple more months.
Aug 08 2017 | 11:08 am EDT Rob Phillips

We know a new one is coming out, so it would probably be best to be patient and wait a little longer if need be. Might have to wait a couple more months.
True story. General rule of thumb is don’t by an iPhone right now, unless you simply can’t wait for whatever reason.
Aug 08 2017 | 11:38 am EDT TripleOne

True story. General rule of thumb is don’t by an iPhone right now, unless you simply can’t wait for whatever reason.
It happened to me less than a month ago. For no reason I couldn't wait and just bought the 7 Plus knowing the 8 is around the corner. I don't regret it at all
Aug 08 2017 | 11:55 am EDT Garz

It happened to me less than a month ago. For no reason I couldn't wait and just bought the 7 Plus knowing the 8 is around the corner. I don't regret it at all
Smh
Aug 08 2017 | 12:27 pm EDT wobdot1972

Had my phone almost 2 years (iphone 6s plus) I just want a new phone, guess I'll have to wait, fingers crossed it won't be too long
Aug 08 2017 | 4:47 pm EDT anon(5630457)

I'm purchased a PRODUCT red iPhone 7 Plus next week just because I'm not all that happy with my S8.
Aug 08 2017 | 6:04 pm EDT BreakingKayfabe

How certain are we that the iPhone 8 is coming in September, I'm due a new photo in September, but I'm worried that I might have to wait until Xmas or even into next year
If the iPhone 8 is on par with what some of the leaks have been, I'm pretty sure we're looking at a Jet Black 7 and 7 Plus type-situation.
Aug 08 2017 | 8:24 pm EDT Premium1

Well you may have to wait regardless due to rumors of low stock of the iPhone 8.
Aug 08 2017 | 10:08 pm EDT TripleOne

I'm liking the rumours so far and hopefully they'll keep the matte black color.
Aug 09 2017 | 8:24 am EDT Not Quite Right

That said, there have been rumors of supply constraints and possible production delays as a result.
Hasn't that been the "Rumor" every single year since the iPhones beginning? Just a way to create a demand for something that doesn't even exist yet. Don't even get me started on pre-ordering ...
Aug 09 2017 | 8:39 am EDT Rob Phillips

Hasn't that been the "Rumor" every single year since the iPhones beginning? Just a way to create a demand for something that doesn't even exist yet. Don't even get me started on pre-ordering ...
True. Apple just had its quarterly earnings call and estimated a huge revenue bump for next quarter in its forward looking remarks. Q4 covers June 25 to September 23, which would mean they expect a big jump in iPhone sales between now and September 23. Will that include all three rumored models? Your guess is as good as mine. A lot of the blogs are reporting that mass production has started on three separate iPhone models (not iMore though, they’re really busy typing up how-to articles for Nintendo Switch and Pokémon Go).
Aug 09 2017 | 9:14 am EDT Not Quite Right

A lot of the blogs are reporting that mass production has started on three separate iPhone models (not iMore though, they’re really busy typing up how-to articles for Nintendo Switch and Pokémon Go).
^^^^^^^ Props^^^^^^^^^^^^
Aug 09 2017 | 9:54 am EDT BreakingKayfabe

The rumors of this thing starting at $1,300 or $1,400 are to condition people so when it starts at $969 everyone will be like, "Oh, well that's not so bad!"
Aug 09 2017 | 10:30 am EDT TripleOne

The rumors of this thing starting at $1,300 or $1,400 are to condition people so when it starts at $969 everyone will be like, "Oh, well that's not so bad!"
Genius!
Aug 09 2017 | 12:16 pm EDT BreakingKayfabe

A lot of the blogs are reporting that mass production has started on three separate iPhone models (not iMore though, they’re really busy typing up how-to articles for Nintendo Switch and Pokémon Go).
"The best iPhone 7 cases with a card holder!!!" CLICK NOW!!
Aug 09 2017 | 1:37 pm EDT popkurn611

I'm purchased a PRODUCT red iPhone 7 Plus next week just because I'm not all that happy with my S8.
You seem to be an iPhone guy here to stay with the amount of back and forth you have done. I finally accepted the fact that no android device in the long-run will work as well as the iPhone does for me. So I am done going back and forth! It's a nice relief and I'm saving money and time from not having to sell phones
Aug 09 2017 | 3:10 pm EDT anon(5630457)

You seem to be an iPhone guy here to stay with the amount of back and forth you have done. I finally accepted the fact that no android device in the long-run will work as well as the iPhone does for me. So I am done going back and forth! It's a nice relief and I'm saving money and time from not having to sell phones
I think I am. It's stressful switching around devices, and there's always something new coming out for Android, but IPhones only come out once a year and it's just easier staying on iPhone.
Aug 09 2017 | 3:12 pm EDT popkurn611

I think I am. It's stressful switching around devices, and there's always something new coming out for Android, but IPhones only come out once a year and it's just easier staying on iPhone.
So much easier. Just enjoy it. Try not to get all flustered and eager to flock to the new android devices. The novelty wears off very quickly!
Aug 09 2017 | 3:13 pm EDT anon(5630457)

So much easier. Just enjoy it. Try not to get all flustered and eager to flock to the new android devices. The novelty wears off very quickly!
Indeed it does.
Aug 09 2017 | 3:24 pm EDT Quis89

I giggled a lot.
Aug 09 2017 | 4:45 pm EDT TgeekB

As long as you're happy, that's all that matters.
Aug 09 2017 | 8:12 pm EDT Rob Phillips

I giggled a lot.
Glad I could do that for you! I’m not at all shy about my dislike of the non-Apple content around here.
Aug 09 2017 | 9:01 pm EDT TripleOne

As long as you're happy, that's all that matters.
No complains so far! Lovin it.
Aug 10 2017 | 8:31 am EDT camaroz1985

Glad I could do that for you! I’m not at all shy about my dislike of the non-Apple content around here.
I can totally agree with that. I understand that the news cycle now is that you have to constantly be putting out "articles" to be relevant, but I would be happy to wait for real news. I can do without the "Top XYZ for your iphone/ipad/iwhatever" articles, or even the tutorials (they can be useful, but don't have to be in the newsfeed, they could just be in a separate section). I use an RSS reader for the site, and just ignore most of it though, so it really isn't that big of an issue, just something that "grinds my gears".
Aug 10 2017 | 11:00 am EDT bluej3

Good question! I am hoping 100%
Aug 10 2017 | 12:01 pm EDT gpo1956

I just saw a report on MSN that it would probably be November release.
Aug 10 2017 | 12:19 pm EDT TrustTheProcess

So the answer lies in how you define a new phone. I'm personally of the "opinion" you will see typical Event in September. The event will bring 3 new device announcements depending on how you define new.

You'll see an inline "s" upgrade with a 7s and 7sPlus available for pre-orders purchasing in September but alongside will also be announced a exceptionally high-end Apple Only Anniversary edition either financed or bought outright through Apple in the $1099 and up range for November. This allows for the common Apple fan to upgrade and also the real techies to hold off til November and go Exclusive.

In this case the name iPhone 8 will not be "used" and would be the Fall 2018 upgrade. This November device just have some special edition name tagged to it.

Just my opinion...
Aug 10 2017 | 1:38 pm EDT anon(8547461)

I just saw a report on MSN that it would probably be November release.
This is the ONLY news release I’ve seen about this (one other site cited the same article). All of the “sources” of the article are Korean supply company insiders. Not sure I trust the validity of this piece.

FWIW I was at my local AT&T store yesterday for a return, and I spoke with one of the assistant managers that I’ve known for a while about the 8 and when it might be available in store. According to this manager, they were told specifically just a couple of days ago that the 8 was releasing in September.