What if the screen isn’t edge to edge?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
There have been some recent rumors that the new screen might not actually be edge to edge and closer in design to the iPad Pro 10.5. Is this a deal breaker if it’s true or would the features still be enough to justify the cost?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it, especially if the rest of the device is great...

Last edited:

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The 10.5 iPad Pro form factor looks good to me as an example.

There needs to be some surface area to house components (Touch ID, front camera, sensors), provide a method to hold reliably and safely; all while not impacting usability and durability.

I'm not a mechanical engineer or designer, so could be wrong.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
This might be a silly question, but won't an edge to edge screen make the device more fragile? I've got a number of marks on the edges of my iPhone 6 that would have presumably been a smashed screen if it was edge to edge. I think I'd actually prefer a small bezel

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Definitely not a deal breaker. Other features are more important. The loss of Touch ID or even moving it to the back would more likely be deal breakers.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Then there's the rumored reports the actual functioning screen size of the iPhone Edition is 5.15" with the rest of the screen edge to edge.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
This might be a silly question, but won't an edge to edge screen make the device more fragile? I've got a number of marks on the edges of my iPhone 6 that would have presumably been a smashed screen if it was edge to edge. I think I'd actually prefer a small bezel

Yes. I broke an S7 edge because the edge screen fell on a table and broke. It's definitely more fragile.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Yes. I broke an S7 edge because the edge screen fell on a table and broke. It's definitely more fragile.

Fair point, but Samsung Edge phones go over the side of the phone. The iPhone will not. Just to the edge. And as far as concerns of accidental pressing on the sides, I haven’t actually used an iPad Pro yet but it’s supposed to be really great about that.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Fair point, but Samsung Edge phones go over the side of the phone. The iPhone will not. Just to the edge. And as far as concerns of accidental pressing on the sides, I haven’t actually used an iPad Pro yet but it’s supposed to be really great about that.

Ah. If that's the case, then I'll be okay with it.

I never had any issues with accidentally pressing the edges of my S8. Samsung optimized the software to prevent that glaring issue.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I have been using the s8 since launch and the screen is such a beautiful and immersive experience. I wouldn't expect apple to go that far but I can see something like the g6

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Not a deal breaker. I honestly won't care either way. That's the least of my concerns as it relates to the next iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2