iPhone 8 or iPhone Pro? Which should it be?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We had the following iPhone models to date.

iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5
iPhone 5S
iPhone 5C
iPhone 6 & 6 Plus
iPhone 6S & 6S Plus
iPhone SE
iPhone 7 & 7 Plus

Typically, an S model follows the numbered model and this year would typically be the year of an alleged iPhone 7S & 7S Plus. Yet, there are rumors abound indicating that Apple will also release a 10th anniversary or special edition iPhone, currently dubbed the iPhone 8. If this alleged special edition iPhone will indeed be called the iPhone 8, what would be the name of next year’s iPhone? According to the current naming scheme, next year’s iPhone would be dubbed the iPhone 8. That got me to thinking. If Apple plans to maintain an special edition iPhone, it should be given a ‘Pro’ moniker, in my opinion. That way, it wouldn’t interfere with the current banding scheme. What do you think?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I say neither. I like the ring of iPhone Edition since this is a one-off iPhone. Next year I think would be the iPhone 8.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If the 10 year anniversary model is a "limited" entry just for this year, I'd go with the iPhone Edition. If it's to be offered each year along with the 4.7" and 5.5" models, then "Pro" is my choice.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
What’s in a name? Personally, they could call it iPhone Garbage and I’d still buy it but most users don’t frequent tech forums, follow Apple blogs, and listen to Apple podcasts like most of us around here do to know the ins and outs of the device. Ultimately, naming is—like D said—branding. If it’s truly a special edition model that will be released alongside the usual incremental model(s) then it should be branded as such. In this case “iPhone Pro” would be more appropriate from a branding perspective.

I personally would be okay with dumping the numbers altogether like they have with other devices. iPhone, iPhone Plus and iPhone Pro sound pretty cool.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Eh. I really couldn't care less. The name isn't all that important to me nor would I be moved in either way based on what they brand it as. It's just a name. I'm more concerned with what they offer.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2