Does the iPhone 8 mean the 7S is a mid-level device?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Interested in how you all do with your MacBook. Might be my next move too.

This is my first MacBook and so far all I keep wondering why I was so stubborn for so long about making the switch. I am still learning how to get around after years of using Windows, but I feel like I am picking it up pretty quickly.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
This is my first MacBook and so far all I keep wondering why I was so stubborn for so long about making the switch. I am still learning how to get around after years of using Windows, but I feel like I am picking it up pretty quickly.

That's awesome. I had one years ago. I'm looking at some updated 2015 models at a good price. Might grab one and see how it goes. I get frustrated with my Windows laptop.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
That's awesome. I had one years ago. I'm looking at some updated 2015 models at a good price. Might grab one and see how it goes. I get frustrated with my Windows laptop.

I'm a longtime user, but my trusty 2011 MBP finally gave out. I couldn't see spending $2500 on a new 15", and I wasn't sure about the 13" with its two USB-C ports. So, on the advice of a few friends in IT I purchased a Dell Starlord. Not a bad laptop at all, converts to a touchscreen tablet, backlit keys, bluetooth, wireless-ac and all that good stuff. It would be PERFECT if it only ran Mac OS. Long past the 'buyer's remorse' period, so it'll be sold (likely at a loss) when I pick up the aforementioned 13" MBP in a week or so.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm a longtime user, but my trusty 2011 MBP finally gave out. I couldn't see spending $2500 on a new 15", and I wasn't sure about the 13" with its two USB-C ports. So, on the advice of a few friends in IT I purchased a Dell Starlord. Not a bad laptop at all, converts to a touchscreen tablet, backlit keys, bluetooth, wireless-ac and all that good stuff. It would be PERFECT if it only ran Mac OS. Long past the 'buyer's remorse' period, so it'll be sold (likely at a loss) when I pick up the aforementioned 13" MBP in a week or so.

After a day and a half of using the MacBook, I don't think I could go back to a windows laptop. I have already gotten very used to the gestures and just how quick everything is. I'm not looking forward to using windows 10 tomorrow at work. I didn't mind it until this weekend. I can't believe I've been turned. Lol. Never thought it would happen.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
After a day and a half of using the MacBook, I don't think I could go back to a windows laptop. I have already gotten very used to the gestures and just how quick everything is. I'm not looking forward to using windows 10 tomorrow at work. I didn't mind it until this weekend. I can't believe I've been turned. Lol. Never thought it would happen.

It sneaks up on you, doesn't it?

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site

Update: I haven't picked up the new MBP as of yet. A family emergency has arisen that has pretty much put any larger purchase(s) on hold. In the meantime, I picked up an old 2012 MacBook Air from a friend on the cheap. It's actually running pretty well and has a lot of life left.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Update: I haven't picked up the new MBP as of yet. A family emergency has arisen that has pretty much put any larger purchase(s) on hold. In the meantime, I picked up an old 2012 MacBook Air from a friend on the cheap. It's actually running pretty well and has a lot of life left.

That seems to be the great thing about the MacBook. Even the older ones run well. I know a few people with 2012 MacBooks that say they still run great and have not been able to justify buying a new one. I hope I can get 5-7 years out of mine.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I don't think you know what mid-level means. Mid-level devices have middle-of-the-road specs. For example, the Snapdragon 835 is the high-end SoC for Android devices today. A mid-range Android phone, like the Moto G5 Plus, has a Snapdragon 625 SoC, which is a mid-level SoC. Other mid-range devices specs (on Android) would include an LCD display, ok cameras, and smaller batteries, around 3000 mAh (or less). Mid-range doesn't mean bad. It just means budget. The iPhone 7 Plus will definitely NOT be a mid-range device.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if I'd consider the 7s a "mid level" device. But personally, I don't care about any of those labels. I don't purchase because something is high level or mid level or any of that stuff. Nor do the majority of buyers that I've worked with over the years. People purchase based on their needs. If the 7S offers adequate features, then I'd imagine people will be just happy with it. The iPhone 8 will really need to justify the increase in price for me to go for that over a less expensive model. My upgrade program will allow me to essentially trade my current device for the new one and I go in on a promo where I'm getting a $650 credit over two years. So I've still got a year worth of credit that will continue to be applied to the new phone. So it's not really going to cost me much to make an switch. I fully intended on getting a new iPhone in September. Which one I purchase will be the one that makes the most sense. Not the one that is "top end" or "mid level".

At work we are currently deploying the Touch Bar MacBook pros to staff. I drool every time I set one up. They are a beautiful fleet of computers. I've got a 2015 15 inch Pro for work and I've got a 2015 13 inch Pro for my personal use at home. The latest Macbooks are really nice. I don't so much care about the touchbar as much as I love the new keyboard mechanism installed. I know you'll love your MacBook. I went from supporting a complete Windows environment to now supporting a MacOS environment. I've transitioned my entire family over to Mac (aside from my wife. I'm working on it).

dcunited08

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
I don't think you know what mid-level means. Mid-level devices have middle-of-the-road specs. For example, the Snapdragon 835 is the high-end SoC for Android devices today. A mid-range Android phone, like the Moto G5 Plus, has a Snapdragon 625 SoC, which is a mid-level SoC. Other mid-range devices specs (on Android) would include an LCD display, ok cameras, and smaller batteries, around 3000 mAh (or less). Mid-range doesn't mean bad. It just means budget. The iPhone 7 Plus will definitely NOT be a mid-range device.

Based on current rumours, the 7s will have an LCD screen with battery less than 3000mAh and a camera inferior to the 8. We are still not sure about the processor. I am not saying it won't be a good phone, it will be, but no longer will it be the great phone of the year. I would more compare it to the One Plus series or Nexus 5/5X. It has most everything but it's missing in a certain area (often the camera) to keep it out of the premium running.

This Daring Fireball podcast goes into it and is worth a listen: https://daringfireball.net/thetalkshow/2017/07/21/ep-196

My reason for this is not an argument about should you pay extra for the 8 but rather to look at the unique challenge Apple is creating for itself and how it may affect the iPhone market for years to come.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't think it is so cut and dry. The iPhone 7 till this day remains one of the fastest phones on the market. The 7s will be faster than that. Personally I do not think the specs will be too different btw the two models(7s and 8) if they do go that route.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Based on current rumours, the 7s will have an LCD screen with battery less than 3000mAh and a camera inferior to the 8. We are still not sure about the processor. I am not saying it won't be a good phone, it will be, but no longer will it be the great phone of the year. I would more compare it to the One Plus series or Nexus 5/5X. It has most everything but it's missing in a certain area (often the camera) to keep it out of the premium running.

This Daring Fireball podcast goes into it and is worth a listen: https://daringfireball.net/thetalkshow/2017/07/21/ep-196

My reason for this is not an argument about should you pay extra for the 8 but rather to look at the unique challenge Apple is creating for itself and how it may affect the iPhone market for years to come.

To be fair, iPhones have always had LCD screens and the smaller model has always had a battery smaller than 3000 mAh. The camera on the iPhone 7, for instance, was inferior to the 7 Plus's camera in some key areas.

But I think the point you're missing is that mid-range devices are also priced lower than all flagships. Most mid-range devices cost around $250-$600. No iPhones, except the SE, will be priced that low. The 7s and the 7s Plus will not be that low. That's what separates them from mid-range devices. Specs aren't the whole picture when it comes to mid-range devices.

dcunited08

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
I agree, the iPhone 7 is one of the fastest phones available and the 7s will be even faster (if you can tell the difference) and I also certainly don't see them being priced with mid-level Android devices. My point is the iPhone 7s will be at current flagship prices but will not be a flagship phone. What should we call it?

The way I see it, it will push some people who buy the new iPhone every year to buy the new flagship, based on comments in this forum some will still buy the 7s even if they have the 7 but I expect there be a larger number of people to hold on to their device longer and move towards the iPad refresh cycle. People will also be more likely to buy the 7 at a discount if they have an older device.

dcunited08

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
After some more time to think and several revealing leaks, a better way to ask my question is how will Apple sell both the iPhone 8 and the iPhone X without the 8 purchaser feeling like they got a second-class iPhone? John Gruber, in his latest podcast, said this may be one of the hardest tasks at Apple for Phil Schiller and I believe him.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2