How important is the location of the fingerprint scanner?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So with all the speculation around Touch ID in the upcoming iPhone, how important is the location of the fingerprint sensor to you? I have personally used devices with it on the front (iPhone) and also back (nexus 6p). Is the location really that important to you?

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
So with all the speculation around Touch ID in the upcoming iPhone, how important is the location of the fingerprint sensor to you? I have personally used devices with it on the front (iPhone) and also back (nexus 6p). Is the location really that important to you?

For me, yes. I tried a device with the scanner on the rear of the phone. I didn’t like the feel. Since I use plus phones it was real awkward for me.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Not a fan of rear fingerprint sensors here. I saw a rumor based on a patent filing that the TouchID sensor might be built into the power button on the next iPhone. Hoping this one pans out if the only other option right now is on the rear.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I really don't think it matters. The only time it is a pain for it to be on the back is if you are trying to use it while it is sitting on a desk or table. If they implemented something like smart unlock that Android has, even that wouldn't be an issue.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I suppose it’s somewhat important, but I doubt it would be a dealbreaker for “me”. I doubt Apple will put it in a spot the masses would deem inconvenient. Either way, I’ll adjust to it.

CyreneK

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I would hate it on the back. Especially because I use my phone face up sitting on my desk at work. Also, if they put it under the apple logo, then it would look hideous. Might as well get rid of the logo because from what I've been hearing, the 8 is going to look like an android anyway. In my opinion, if it has to go on the back, then the Apple logo should be the sensor.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I've never used a phone with it on the back but I've just been trying out on my iPhone 6 and my finger most naturally goes to a point centrally just above where the Apple logo is and most of the time that would be fine although presumably this would be different for everyone based on their hand size. That said I do use mine laid flat on my desk sometimes and that would be less convenient with the sensor on the back. The other scenario that wouldn't work well would be Apple Pay; generally I hold my phone against the reader and can see the screen when I use the Touch ID sensor and can see if it worked or not; with the sensor on the back I think this would be a clumsier operation.

Overall though I think if it meant I could have a smaller phone without losing screen size then I'd probably take the sacrifice.

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Friends with the Galaxy 8 let me try it. I hate it. Have adjust my hands to get the print right. For me, not upgrading with the sensor on the back.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Friends with the Galaxy 8 let me try it. I hate it. Have adjust my hands to get the print right. For me, not upgrading with the sensor on the back.

To be fair the S8 isn't a great comparison as even for a rear sensor, it is not optimally positioned. The rear sensor on my Pixel was very easy to use, and fell right at my finger tip. Like others have said, the apple logo would be a great place, for both position and aesthetic.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Very important as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a fan of the rear Touch ID button. If it was incorporated into the Apple () Logo that would be better, but I don't think thats happening. This will probably be a make or break feature for me as well. I'm sure my 7 Plus would get me thru another year until Apple figures it out.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Very important as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a fan of the rear Touch ID button. If it was incorporated into the Apple () Logo that would be better, but I don't think thats happening. This will probably be a make or break feature for me as well. I'm sure my 7 Plus would get me thru another year until Apple figures it out.

I’m with you, there.
I’m not sure why the bottom bezel has to go away, I’m fine with it.
But I have the feeling Apple will not come with a half baked solution.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
To me, the location is not important.
I'm fine if it is located behind the iPhone just like how it is with the Pixel and Nexus line up.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
As long as they don't put it next to the camera like Samsung did on my S8, I'll be okay with wherever Apple decides to put it. I like the FPS on both the front and the back, but the back feels more natural and it allows for more screen real estate on the front.

garment69

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
There are two choices if you want smaller bezels, which I very much do. Either they embed it under the screen or put it in the back. Either solution is fine by me. I used the Google pixel and I found the fingerprint sensor to be fine on the back. So if that’s where it winds up being I’ll deal with it.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

That is a terrible comparison. It is in a terrible location. Placing it on the back where the apple logo is makes a ton more sense. Samsung likes to be difficult and I feel they placed it there to try and get users to use the facial unlock.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It will be on the same place on note, too. So I'm not buying the "last minute" thing... I don't wanna be fair to samsung :))

It is still last minute because apparently they can't get the under screen FP sensor working (which also seems to be what rumors are saying about apple as well)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711