I doubt it won't have Touch ID

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
iPhone models have had Touch ID since the 5s, and I don't recall any feature from the S year upgrades being dropped. The current iPhones still have Siri (from the 4s), Touch ID (from the 5s) and 3D Touch (from the 6s). Even if it is changing, they won't drop it all together. I have to guess that Ming Chi Quo is onto something, because when they redesigned the App Store, they also redesigned the purchases for apps to be like Apple Pay to pay with Touch ID. If they are taking away Touch ID, why would they redesign it to specifically say in bold text, Pay with Touch ID?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
iPhone models have had Touch ID since the 5s, and I don't recall any feature from the S year upgrades being dropped. The current iPhones still have Siri (from the 4s), Touch ID (from the 5s) and 3D Touch (from the 6s). Even if it is changing, they won't drop it all together. I have to guess that Ming Chi Quo is onto something, because when they redesigned the App Store, they also redesigned the purchases for apps to be like Apple Pay to pay with Touch ID. If they are taking away Touch ID, why would they redesign it to specifically say in bold text, Pay with Touch ID?

Because they still have millions upon millions of devices that have and utilize touch ID?

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Because they still have millions upon millions of devices that have and utilize touch ID?

When Apple gets rid of an item, they tend to give notice in advance. Like Imagination Technologies. They told them for awhile that they would be slowing down years in advance, and now they've given their final notice this year. Apple introduced streaming audio through the lightning port back in 2014, if that wasn't a hint for the headphone jack not being prioritized. Them bringing Touch ID to more things doesn't hint that they are getting rid of it. They wouldn't have brought Touch ID to their other devices if they were planning on getting rid of it.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Samsung acquired Siri's dark sister Viv, made by the creators of Siri to be stronger than her, before the S8 was released, and they haven't implemented that yet. Instead they've opted to use Bixby which is based off of their S Voice. Apple acquired LuxVue in 2014 and STILL doesn't have an Apple Watch or other item with their technology. Instead they have been using OLED screens until they have it ready. Apple purchased a facial recognition company this year, and now everyone thinks that they can implement it enough not only to have it ready for this year, but to have it be the ONLY form of authentication? Not buying it.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Samsung acquired Siri's dark sister Viv, made by the creators of Siri to be stronger than her, before the S8 was released, and they haven't implemented that yet. Instead they've opted to use Bixby which is based off of their S Voice. Apple acquired LuxVue in 2014 and STILL doesn't have an Apple Watch or other item with their technology. Instead they have been using OLED screens until they have it ready. Apple purchased a facial recognition company this year, and now everyone thinks that they can implement it enough not only to have it ready for this year, but to have it be the ONLY form of authentication? Not buying it.

I guess there's always a chance, but probably not on this phone.

Weirder things have happened.... change from 30 pin to lightning. Removing headphone jack. But this is a major technology advancement for the phone that I'd be surprised if they are ready to make the change.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I guess there's always a chance, but probably not on this phone.

Weirder things have happened.... change from 30 pin to lightning. Removing headphone jack. But this is a major technology advancement for the phone that I'd be surprised if they are ready to make the change.

I guess it's a good time to point out that Apple has patents to do exactly as Ming Chi Quo says while still keeping Touch ID. While not having a physical home button, OR a fingerprint sensor under the screen, they can still have fingerprint recognition by making the screen the sensor. The screen itself can recognize a fingerprint by using acoustics to map out what it touching the screen. So no home button, no fingerprint on the back, and no fingerprint sensor under the OLED screen. Sure this would be a new technology, but I think an anniversary phone would call for the introduction of new technology to have that wow factor.

kjung7

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Wouldn't removing Touch ID be a step back in terms of using it as an credentials for financial apps? I doubt the banks would be happy with facial recognition especially with reports of Samsung's phones being duped by photos.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
How about Touch ID on the side of the phone? By embedding the Touch ID fingerprint reader into the power/sleep-wake button.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Wouldn't removing Touch ID be a step back in terms of using it as an credentials for financial apps? I doubt the banks would be happy with facial recognition especially with reports of Samsung's phones being duped by photos.

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY

Apple isn't known to dabble with toys and gimmicks when it comes to security, and then make them the main security measure. They've had tons of new patents (hardware, btw), specifically for fingerprint recognition since they debuted it with the 5s, more advanced than what is on the market today. Those patents and inventions take time, effort, and money. Apple isn't one to continuously get a plethora of patents on an item they plan on ditching. They may advance it in some way we do not yet know, but they won't get rid of it entirely as some people think.

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
How about Touch ID on the side of the phone? By embedding the Touch ID fingerprint reader into the power/sleep-wake button.

I wouldn't mind that, that would be able to have a full frontal screen and still keep Touch ID without moving it to the back or off the phone altogether. That way I don't have to stare at the screen like I'm trying to see into the soul of the phone like Ghost Rider, making other people in line uncomfortable, just so it can read my face every time I want to use Apple Pay. My phone scanning my face like I'm a spy would give me more suspicion and attention, exactly opposite of what a spy like me wants, just to buy a McCafe at McDonald's. I want to still look professional, not look like I'm some spy on lunch break lol

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711