Darned if they do, darned if they don't

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Re: Darned if they do, darned if hey don't

It shouldn't but iPhones rise every year by 50-100 bucks. So I expect it to be 50-100 more than last year and the special edition to be 300-400 more

Before I answer this, I just want to make sure everyone understands I'm not trying to argue about this but drive a meaningful conversation.

Since you expect them to go up every year, can I assume you accept that? Do other products do the same? Is it sustainable?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

This is what I'm trying to find out since I wasn't experiencing it. Is this a trend or something new?

Usually the prices remained the same. Last year they upped the prices by $50. Hopefully this isn't an every year type thing

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

That makes much more sense.

I mean I am not against a price increase, if the upgrades warrant it. The fact they have been using the same design for 3 years (6-7) made it strange for the price bump. It will really be interesting to see if they do have 3 models how they price those out. It seems they are trying to streamline their products (3 ipads, macs, etc) so not sure how apple will handle the phones.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Before I answer this, I just want to make sure everyone understands I'm not trying to argue about this but drive a meaningful conversation.

Since you expect them to go up every year, can I assume you accept that? Do other products do the same? Is it sustainable?

Sammy and  do pretty much. But they have the market. Also if they went down in price or stayed the same I expect their quality of service to go down or to charge more for accessories

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

Sammy and  do pretty much. But they have the market. Also if they went down in price or stayed the same I expect their quality of service to go down or to charge more for accessories

Sammy, as they have become more popular, have definitely raised their prices.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Sammy, as they have become more popular, have definitely raised their prices.

Samsung also seems to be packing a lot into their devices to at least make sense for the increased prices. I mean apple is still shipping a 750p screen yet charging $700+ for it.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

Samsung also seems to be packing a lot into their devices to at least make sense for the increased prices. I mean apple is still shipping a 750p screen yet charging $700+ for it.

I think you're right. Their strategy against iPhone is to give value in features where Apple gives value in an efficient experience the way I see it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site

I didn't upgrade in January to the 7+ as someone mentioned in my reply. I switched from Android to Apple in January. Only iPhone I was interested in was 7+

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

What a ridiculous article. Apple have to make some difficult decisions. Well boo hoo.

Every electronics manufacturer (probably every manufacturer of everything) has to trade off price, quality and features. That's the game.

This is why manufacturers make a range of products. Cheaper models for the mass market, for customers who just want a basic product that works. Expensive models for the few who want the latest and greatest or a status symbol. And some options in between. Apple does exactly this today. They currently make the SE, 6S, 6S+, 7 and 7+ with various amounts of storage. They may even still make some costed down earlier models for certain markets (they have done this in the past).

Maybe some variant of the iPhone 8 will cost $1000 or $1500 or whatever. You will still be able to buy an iPhone for $400, and a very good Android phone for $200. So there is no problem here.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

What a ridiculous article. Apple have to make some difficult decisions. Well boo hoo.

Every electronics manufacturer (probably every manufacturer of everything) has to trade off price, quality and features. That's the game.

This is why manufacturers make a range of products. Cheaper models for the mass market, for customers who just want a basic product that works. Expensive models for the few who want the latest and greatest or a status symbol. And some options in between. Apple does exactly this today. They currently make the SE, 6S, 6S+, 7 and 7+ with various amounts of storage. They may even still make some costed down earlier models for certain markets (they have done this in the past).

Maybe some variant of the iPhone 8 will cost $1000 or $1500 or whatever. You will still be able to buy an iPhone for $400, and a very good Android phone for $200. So there is no problem here.

Being able to buy a cheap android phone has nothing to do with apple and the iPhone 8 though. Most who get an iPhone are going to stick with iPhone. And if you want a "cheap" iPhone you are stuck with the smaller screened SE (which not everyone wants the smaller screen)

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Being able to buy a cheap android phone has nothing to do with apple and the iPhone 8 though. Most who get an iPhone are going to stick with iPhone. And if you want a "cheap" iPhone you are stuck with the smaller screened SE (which not everyone wants the smaller screen)

So you think Apple should cut the prices of their premium models? They make huge profits so they could certainly afford to do so. However, my impression here is that most people are against Apple lowing prices. Personally, I think they should.

Don't write off the Android option - $200 Android phones are very very good today. However, that wasn't my point. My point is that the article is really stupid. Apple make a range of phones catering for a range of people. If, like me, you're not prepared to spend $1000 or $1500 or whatever on a phone, then don't. There are plenty of very good cheaper options, both from Apple and from others.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

.... However, my impression here is that most people are against Apple lowing prices. Personally, I think they should.
I don’t think no one is against them lowering prices, but we are against them lowering the quality of their devices for the sake of lowering prices.

.... If, like me, you're not prepared to spend $1000 or $1500 or whatever on a phone, then don't. There are plenty of very good cheaper options, both from Apple and from others.
Agreed....:)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

So you think Apple should cut the prices of their premium models? They make huge profits so they could certainly afford to do so. However, my impression here is that most people are against Apple lowing prices. Personally, I think they should.

Don't write off the Android option - $200 Android phones are very very good today. However, that wasn't my point. My point is that the article is really stupid. Apple make a range of phones catering for a range of people. If, like me, you're not prepared to spend $1000 or $1500 or whatever on a phone, then don't. There are plenty of very good cheaper options, both from Apple and from others.

Not saying lower prices for the iPhone 8, but I think if they are going to have 3 models like rumors say, the 7s/7s+ should be priced a little lower.

bchain996

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site

Excellent article, and thank you for sharing it. With that in mind, I was taught that consumers control pricing. These days, however, they’re more likely to cave than to stand firm. Don’t get me wrong, Apple or any other company can set a price for a given product and they have the right to make a profit from that product. It’s possible that the 10th anniversary edition iPhone is not targeted at the masses, but the probable S models are. That’s fine, but I dislike the idea of them releasing multiple iPhone models and would prefer them to release just one model (both regular and plus model) whether 10th anniversary or not. Since millions and millions of consumers help make the iPhone what it is, they all should have the same opportunity to purchase the 10th anniversary iPhone as if it were a typical iPhone release, in my opinion.

If the masses want it they will pay for it. If they can’t afford it that’s not the premium buyers fault. I can’t believe this is even a discussion. That’s like saying Honda shouldn’t make the Type R because regular Civic buyers may not be able to afford it so they just shouldn’t make it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Darned if they do, darned if hey don't

If the masses want it they will pay for it. If they can’t afford it that’s not the premium buyers fault. I can’t believe this is even a discussion. That’s like saying Honda shouldn’t make the Type R because regular Civic buyers may not be able to afford it so they just shouldn’t make it.

I agree. The issue with the "one model" approach is that it wouldn't be feasible to include all of the premium features that the supposed iPhone 8 will include, at the current price points. Rather than not make these features available at all, they're releasing a premium phone that includes these extra features and making it available for those willing to pay for it. Much like your analogy, doing otherwise it would be like Honda making every feature of the Type R available on the Civic. What's the value in buying a Type R at that point?

Trust me, Apple won't make an iPhone that there won't be a market for. Consumers do have price control, which is why I guarantee it won't cost $2,000+.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

If the masses want it they will pay for it.
That’s true to a point, but like anything else, there’s a limit what one is willing to pay.
If they can’t afford it that’s not the premium buyers fault.
Very true, but that wasn’t what I was trying to convey.
I can’t believe this is even a discussion. That’s like saying Honda shouldn’t make the Type R because regular Civic buyers may not be able to afford it so they just shouldn’t make it.

Again, I wasn’t saying that Apple can’t do this or that, and I wasn’t saying that those who can afford it shouldn’t be able to, etcetera. I would prefer that Apple maintain its current iPhone release mechanism, and not release a separate “edition” model. Make the entire 2017 iPhone lot an “edition” model. That’s ‘my’ preference and that’s what I was trying to convey in my earlier posts.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2