Darned if they do, darned if they don't

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Some interesting points made

Provided all the reporting is true and the shiny new iPhone 8 will enter the market at a price point north of $1,000, critics will have a field day, a number of shoppers will be dissuaded, but for the most part Apple customers will ask the simple question why ? The guys at Let’s Talk iOS have given this question a good shake already in this week’s Podcast #195 , however if you turn the table around and look at the situation from Apple’s perspective, you will find that at the heart of it lies a more abstract dilemma for the Cupertino giants, a balancing act that can and likely already has hurt us customers in more than one way.

Apple’s iPhone dilemma: damned if you do, damned if you don’t!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Re: Darned if they do, darned if hey don't

I just made the switch in Jan and am in no rush to get a new iphone. I don't need to upgrade. There isn't anything technically wrong with my phone and to fork out 1000 for a phone is not what I want to do. I am paying on my 7+ and making payments on my ipad and my Mac Pro as well. I am pleased and iOS 11 will be released for the phone. I got a really good trade in on my Samsung and I don't want to lose that.
I have other things my money needs to be spent on .

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

I just made the switch in Jan and am in no rush to get a new iphone. I don't need to upgrade. There isn't anything technically wrong with my phone and to fork out 1000 for a phone is not what I want to do. I am paying on my 7+ and making payments on my ipad and my Mac Pro as well. I am pleased and iOS 11 will be released for the phone. I got a really good trade in on my Samsung and I don't want to lose that.
I have other things my money needs to be spent on .

Yeah well with upgrading that late in the year it makes sense to hold onto that 7+ for at least another year.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Some interesting points made

Provided all the reporting is true and the shiny new iPhone 8 will enter the market at a price point north of $1,000, critics will have a field day, a number of shoppers will be dissuaded, but for the most part Apple customers will ask the simple question why ? The guys at Let’s Talk iOS have given this question a good shake already in this week’s Podcast #195 , however if you turn the table around and look at the situation from Apple’s perspective, you will find that at the heart of it lies a more abstract dilemma for the Cupertino giants, a balancing act that can and likely already has hurt us customers in more than one way.

Apple’s iPhone dilemma: damned if you do, damned if you don’t!

Excellent article, and thank you for sharing it. With that in mind, I was taught that consumers control pricing. These days, however, they’re more likely to cave than to stand firm. Don’t get me wrong, Apple or any other company can set a price for a given product and they have the right to make a profit from that product. It’s possible that the 10th anniversary edition iPhone is not targeted at the masses, but the probable S models are. That’s fine, but I dislike the idea of them releasing multiple iPhone models and would prefer them to release just one model (both regular and plus model) whether 10th anniversary or not. Since millions and millions of consumers help make the iPhone what it is, they all should have the same opportunity to purchase the 10th anniversary iPhone as if it were a typical iPhone release, in my opinion.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

Excellent article, and thank you for sharing it. With that in mind, I was taught that consumers control pricing. These days, however, they’re more likely to cave than to stand firm. Don’t get me wrong, Apple or any other company can set a price for a given product and they have the right to make a profit from that product. It’s possible that the 10th anniversary edition iPhone is not targeted at the masses, but the probable S models are. That’s fine, but I dislike the idea of them releasing multiple iPhone models and would prefer them to release just one model (both regular and plus model) whether 10th anniversary or not. Since millions and millions of consumers help make the iPhone what it is, they all should have the same opportunity to purchase the 10th anniversary iPhone as if it were a typical iPhone release, in my opinion.

You make a great point. Consumer's can and generally do control the price of products. The problem is, as you point out, some people will pay anything just to get something that has been marketed as cool or necessary. Apple, whether you find this positive or negative, has been acknowledged as one of those companies. You've heard the words outsiders use to describe iPhone users. It's not nice but if the 10th anniversary edition really is $1400 and sells out it tends to fuel these types of comments.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I definitely agree with you on this and feel everyone should have a chance at the 10th Anniversary iPhone. Maybe there will be a larger price difference between to regular and the plus, if the plus offers a few extra features over the regular.

You make a great point. Consumer's can and generally do control the price of products. The problem is, as you point out, some people will pay anything just to get something that has been marketed as cool or necessary. Apple, whether you find this positive or negative, has been acknowledged as one of those companies. You've heard the words outsiders use to describe iPhone users. It's not nice but if the 10th anniversary edition really is $1400 and sells out it tends to fuel these types of comments.

I agree but I also feel society cares too much about what other people like & deem important. I use to use Android phones and have no issues with them but, the fact of the matter is, all my other devices are Apple. I've used a Mac for over 10 years now, with no desire to stray because it works for me. I keep an iPhone because the integration with it is seamless. People can say whatever they like about me continuing to shell out money for an iPhone. Most consumers only buy what works for them and no one should ever be butt hurt because of that lol

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

I agree. Before you got the regular model or the plus, but both were similar (outside of screen, battery, and camera). If they go this route with 3 models it is almost like the s models are "lesser" compared to the higher priced model. I think if they are going to go this route they should lower the price on the s models (will they do this? probably not)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I definitely agree with you on this and feel everyone should have a chance at the 10th Anniversary iPhone. Maybe there will be a larger price difference between to regular and the plus, if the plus offers a few extra features over the regular.
Thank you, and we’ll know soon enough...

....but I also feel society cares too much about what other people like & deem important.
That is spot-on, my friend, and those of us who think independently of the crowd are often awestruck by their inability to do so.
I use to use Android phones and have no issues with them but, the fact of the matter is, all my other devices are Apple. I've used a Mac for over 10 years now, with no desire to stray because it works for me. I keep an iPhone because the integration with it is seamless. People can say whatever they like about me continuing to shell out money for an iPhone. Most consumers only buy what works for them and no one should ever be butt hurt because of that lol

‘Nuf said...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

I agree but I also feel society cares too much about what other people like & deem important. I use to use Android phones and have no issues with them but, the fact of the matter is, all my other devices are Apple. I've used a Mac for over 10 years now, with no desire to stray because it works for me. I keep an iPhone because the integration with it is seamless. People can say whatever they like about me continuing to shell out money for an iPhone. Most consumers only buy what works for them and no one should ever be butt hurt because of that lol

Hence why we have all these social media "celebrities" Because anymore it is the "cool" thing to do.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You make a great point. Consumer's can and generally do control the price of products. The problem is, as you point out, some people will pay anything just to get something that has been marketed as cool or necessary.
Yes, and that’s what companies are banking on. The hype is the bait and the desire to be among the first to have something is the hook that snares...
Apple, whether you find this positive or negative, has been acknowledged as one of those companies. You've heard the words outsiders use to describe iPhone users. It's not nice but if the 10th anniversary edition really is $1400 and sells out it tends to fuel these types of comments.
I agree.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I agree. Before you got the regular model or the plus, but both were similar (outside of screen, battery, and camera). If they go this route with 3 models it is almost like the s models are "lesser" compared to the higher priced model. I think if they are going to go this route they should lower the price on the s models (will they do this? probably not)

The tactic worked with the MacBook & MacBook Pro, the iPad & iPad Pro, as well as the Watch & Watch Nike & Special Edition. It’s possible that it could work with the iPhone, but then again, it may not. The 10th Anniversary is a one-time thing and the iPhone is more personal than all of the other devices, in my opinion, and that’s why I think it would be a mistake for them to offer a 10th Anniversary Edition alongside the typical released iPhone. Everyone will seek to have the 10th Anniversary model, but consumers who either can’t afford to buy it or feel somehow cheated may opt to not buy either iPhone model.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

While I agree I'm speaking more about supply and demand creating price points, not particularly emotional responses. People can believe what they want but it doesn't make it true. You should get what works for you.
At the same time, if we keep paying higher and higher prices the average person will be shut out from obtaining value and will have to settle for something "less". I think that's the point others are making.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

That’s fine, but I dislike the idea of them releasing multiple iPhone models and would prefer them to release just one model (both regular and plus model) whether 10th anniversary or not. Since millions and millions of consumers help make the iPhone what it is, they all should have the same opportunity to purchase the 10th anniversary iPhone as if it were a typical iPhone release, in my opinion.

I would have to disagree with you on this one. Anniversary/limited/special edition things were never made with the intent of everyone being able to afford them. Even if the anniversary edition is not a limited time item pretty much any iPhone owner could afford one (buy it used,payment plan,saving money). It's supposed to be an exclusive phone, not the standard iPhone released. I see no problem with people that took the time to beat the rest to get the exclusive device.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

Yes, and that’s what companies are banking on. The hype is the bait and the desire to be among the first to have something is the hook that snares...
I agree.

Sure they are. Keep raising the prices until sales drop. Keep up the marketing to convince people to buy. I'm not saying the iPhone isn't an excellent product (heck, I'm using one) but where does it end?
To be honest, the only reason I decided to come back to iPhone after a long layoff was because Cricket had the 32gb SE for $199. Price and size were what sold me otherwise I might still be struggling with my Windows phone!

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

I would have to disagree with you on this one. Anniversary/limited/special edition things were never made with the intent of everyone being able to afford them. Even if the anniversary edition is not a limited time item pretty much any iPhone owner could afford one (buy it used,payment plan,saving money). It's supposed to be an exclusive phone, not the standard iPhone released. I see no problem with people that took the time to beat the rest to get the exclusive device.

If it doesn't pull the price of the other devices up with it. If it's used to raise the price point, then I disagree. We'll have to wait and see what reality is.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I would have to disagree with you on this one.
It’s all good, my friend...
Anniversary/limited/special edition things were never made with the intent of everyone being able to afford them. Even if the anniversary edition is not a limited time item pretty much any iPhone owner could afford one (buy it used,payment plan,saving money). It's supposed to be an exclusive phone, not the standard iPhone released.
Yeah, I know, but I was just stating my preferences. There’s a rumor that the iPhone 7S & 7S Plus will be released in typical fashion, and that the special edition model will be released closer to the Christmas holiday. That may help matters.
I see no problem with people that took the time to beat the rest to get the exclusive device.
I don’t have a problem with that either.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

At the same time, if we keep paying higher and higher prices the average person will be shut out from obtaining value and will have to settle for something "less". I think that's the point others are making.

I understand that and when/if I feel the price is absurd, I won't buy it. I just don't feel it's up to me as a consumer to worry about those that are shut out from purchasing certain items, due to the price. I buy many high ticket items because that's what I like & I definitely wouldn't do it if I felt the price was too high or I couldn't afford it. I personally don't consider $1000 for an iPhone to be expensive at all....but that's just me. To each their own.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

If it doesn't pull the price of the other devices up with it. If it's used to raise the price point, then I disagree. We'll have to wait and see what reality is.

It shouldn't but iPhones rise every year by 50-100 bucks. So I expect it to be 50-100 more than last year and the special edition to be 300-400 more

It’s all good, my friend... Yeah, I know, but I was just stating my preferences. There’s a rumor that the iPhone 7S & 7S Plus will be released in typical fashion, and that the special edition model will be released closer to the Christmas holiday. That may help matters.
I don’t have a problem with that either.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

The tactic worked with the MacBook & MacBook Pro, the iPad & iPad Pro, as well as the Watch & Watch Nike & Special Edition. It’s possible that it could work with the iPhone, but then again, it may not. The 10th Anniversary is a one-time thing and the iPhone is more personal than all of the other devices, in my opinion, and that’s why I think it would be a mistake for them to offer a 10th Anniversary Edition alongside the typical released iPhone. Everyone will seek to have the 10th Anniversary model, but consumers who either can’t afford to buy it or feel somehow cheated may opt to not buy either iPhone model.

Yeah but the thing with the macs and iPads is they aimed at a different crowd. It was all about price, and with offering 3 different models, there will be no where near the price difference as there is between an air and a pro or an iPad and an iPad pro.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Then they better add something "special to it" to make it limited/anniversary edition. I just hope rumors are true and they finally moved to full device amoled and trim those ridiculously huge bezels down.