Will you still get the iPhone 8 if it ends up costing $1400?!

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree, it won't be the iPhone 8. My guess is 10 years is a good point to move to year release versions similar to the Mac but the 8 is a good alias until we know. I expect $1200+ because they will want to price it well above the highest iPhone 7s (not real name most likely) configuration.

Will people upgrade every year at this price? If it is at this price, do you see buying one again next year?

If I have the money, I'll upgrade all of my Apple products yearly... sadly I don't

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I will keep my 7+. Got in Jan. It will be getting the updates. I don't need the newest. I love my phone. My first iPhone experience because I left Android and Samsung.
I got a great trade in value for my Samsung. It works great. Looks new. I take great care. No issues. Staying with it.
I am paying also on my new iPad Pro and Mac Pro. I don't need to switch my phone.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
My problem is i have picked up a few iPhone's for $300-500 below retail this year, so paying full price for the 8 which will be upwards of $1500AUD here is hard to justify, my only reasoning is my phones are business so can claim back tax and are a right off ;)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Nope, the Plus size is as expensive as I will go. I find it interesting only a 1/3 or so here are saying they will get the 7s instead, most will stick with what they have or maybe go to Android. Who typically upgrades every year? Could you afford to upgrade to the expensive one next year as well?

I basically upgrade every year, and I can afford the new iPhone 8, if it’s priced as rumored, but I simply refuse to pay that amount for a “phone”, whether iPhone or other. Period.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I think so too...
Are you planning to keep your 6s Plus for another year?

Yep. I may need a new battery at some point. But I'll upgrade next year. I'm hoping next year's 8 Plus will be the iPhone 8's big brother with a total screen size of around 6.4". I figure the "iPhone 8" will replace the 4.7" model.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Yep. I may need a new battery at some point. But I'll upgrade next year. I'm hoping next year's 8 Plus will be the iPhone 8's big brother with a total screen size of around 6.4". I figure the "iPhone 8" will replace the 4.7" model.

Yeap! I hope that'll happen too. I don't think I'll enjoy the rumored 5.15" as much as the 5.5" of the Plus variants.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Yeap! I hope that'll happen too. I don't think I'll enjoy the rumored 5.15" as much as the 5.5" of the Plus variants.

See and that's the main reason for me wanting to get the iPhone 8....Overall size of phone. I love my 7 Plus but it is too big for my liking. The 4.7 is too small for me and battery life does not even compare to the plus so it's not an option for me. I wish Apple came out with a 7s with a screen size in between the 4.7 and 5.5 with out it costing over $1,000USD. We all have the money for what we want and I know we all say we refuse to spend that on a phone, which I totally agree with but I know once I see the keynote I'll "have to" get it. Realistically I'd like to use my 7 plus till I can get my hands on a used 8 so the cost isn't as high but I know how I am! When I want something I want it now!

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
See and that's the main reason for me wanting to get the iPhone 8....Overall size of phone. I love my 7 Plus but it is too big for my liking. The 4.7 is too small for me and battery life does not even compare to the plus so it's not an option for me. I wish Apple came out with a 7s with a screen size in between the 4.7 and 5.5 with out it costing over $1,000USD. We all have the money for what we want and I know we all say we refuse to spend that on a phone, which I totally agree with but I know once I see the keynote I'll "have to" get it. Realistically I'd like to use my 7 plus till I can get my hands on a used 8 so the cost isn't as high but I know how I am! When I want something I want it now!

The current Plus without the bezels would be perfect the current form factor is a bit too big for me too, but I'll surely miss the 5.5" if I end up getting the rumoured 5.15" iPhone 8.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

The past two years, I’ve contemplated getting the iPhone 6S and iPhone 7, in lieu of their Plus size brethren. This time around, I straight up plan to get the non-Plus model, whether it’s 4.7” or a variant in between the 4.7” & 5.5”. That doesn’t mean I dislike the Plus model because I don’t. I simply want a smaller size for a while.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
The past two years, I’ve contemplated getting the iPhone 6S and iPhone 7, in lieu of their Plus size brethren. This time around, I straight up plan to get the non-Plus model, whether it’s 4.7” or a variant in between the 4.7” & 5.5”. That doesn’t mean I dislike the Plus model because I don’t. I simply want a smaller size for a while.

So do I but I have a very hard time downgrading my amazing battery life and my dual camera that I use very often along with portrait mode. You don't feel the same? I have used a 7 for a couple of days and the screen size is so much smaller than the 5.5. if they had it as a 5.0 or 5.1 that would be SO ideal

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
So do I but I have a very hard time downgrading my amazing battery life and my dual camera that I use very often along with portrait mode. You don't feel the same? I have used a 7 for a couple of days and the screen size is so much smaller than the 5.5. if they had it as a 5.0 or 5.1 that would be SO ideal

You could always opt out for a battery case

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

The camera on my devices have never been a concern for me. I mean, I take photos with it on occasions, but grew up in the Polaroid and 110 era so as long as I can see the thing or person I’m photographing, I’m satisfied. Besides, I still use my Nikon D90 for what I consider serious photography. In regard to the overall size of the device, I’ve stated on numerous occasions that 4.7” is the perfect size, in my opinion and I still feel that way even though I currently use an iPhone 7 Plus. I spent 2 week’s with my iPhone 7 before swapping it out for my iPhone 7 Plus, and even then, I considered going back to the Apple Store and swapping it back. I will agree that a 5” model maybe even better, but I’ll have to check it out first.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
The camera on my devices have never been a concern for me. I mean, I take photos with it on occasions, but grew up in the Polaroid and 110 era so as long as I can see the thing or person I’m photographing, I’m satisfied. Besides, I still use my Nikon D90 for what I consider serious photography. In regard to the overall size of the device, I’ve stated on numerous occasions that 4.7” is the perfect size, in my opinion and I still feel that way even though I currently use an iPhone 7 Plus. I spent 2 week’s with my iPhone 7 before swapping it out for my iPhone 7 Plus, and even then, I considered going back to the Apple Store and swapping it back. I will agree that a 5” model maybe even better, but I’ll have to check it out first.

I have had 7, a plus, another plus, a SE now a 7 this year, will be sticking with the 7 size, the plus is a great phone my wife has one, but i have settled on the 7 size being perfect for me.
Like you i have a Nikon camera and i have a iPad 10.5 which i use mostly at home for bigger screen.
The only neg for the 7 is the battery will run down if you have a heavy usage day but i am in office or car mostly so ok for me, hate those battery cases.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have had 7, a plus, another plus, a SE now a 7 this year, will be sticking with the 7 size, the plus is a great phone my wife has one, but i have settled on the 7 size being perfect for me.
Like you i have a Nikon camera and i have a iPad 10.5 which i use mostly at home for bigger screen.
The only neg for the 7 is the battery will run down if you have a heavy usage day but i am in office or car mostly so ok for me, hate those battery cases.

I hear you, and like you, I’m in an office setting. My iPhone is usually at my desk beside my MacBook Air because my day typically includes meetings and conference calls. My Watch really shines in that setting. Anyway, I had very good battery life when I had the iPhone 7, but I’m set at my office or in my car, if necessary.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

The anniversary model is purported to be slightly larger than the 4.7" iPhone 7, with a usable functioning screen size of at least 5.15". Depends on which rumor you read. It's going to be interesting to see what next year brings.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
The anniversary model is purported to be slightly larger than the 4.7" iPhone 7, with a usable functioning screen size of at least 5.15". Depends on which rumor you read. It's going to be interesting to see what next year brings.

The 5.15" is perfect...But the rumored price tag is not!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The 5.15" is perfect...But the rumored price tag is not!

I doubt seriously it will be more than $1,000. I believe this anniversary model will be Apple's Flagship phone going forward, replacing the 4.7" model. And, it will have a big sister with the same new bells and whistles. My prediction anyways.