Will you still get the iPhone 8 if it ends up costing $1400?!

seanpr

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure which bit of my post you mean? The bit about splitting the line perhaps? If so I see the similarities but the difference with the iPad is the lesser model is actually quite cheap (by Apple standards) whereas with a possible iPhone 7S and 8 dual release then the 7S would be missing the cool new feature and yet still be a long way from inexpensive. I'm certainly not saying they might not do it anyway but as a consumer it would make me stop and think about what to do this autumn (the last time Apple made me think about a purchase was when they released the expensive touch bar MacBooks and I bought a PC instead so I'm not just someone who moans and buys the new Apple product anyway, I'll do what's right for me)
You are right, I totally forgot the price difference. I went with the 10.5 inch Pro... I'm loving it so far. So, if the iPhone 8 is a similar type of upgrade, I might be doomed. :)

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Apple isn't that dumb to sell an iPhone for $1400 that that price so don't worry about it

Uh isn't this the same company that sold watches for $10K with the same internals as the ones that started at $350?

The thing is, if Apple does sell a $1400 iPhone (I think it would be ridiculous) and people buy it, who would be the dumb ones be? Apple may just decide to do it. Not because the device would be worth it, but because they know people will buy it.

Build it and they will come.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
What are your thoughts and would you still buy it or go for the cheaper 7S models?

Absolutely not. I will, however, wait to see what the price will be for a 7s Plus, if they even release one. There's nothing wrong with my 6s other than my eyes are getting worse, so a larger screen will be a welcome change for me.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely not. I will, however, wait to see what the price will be for a 7s Plus, if they even release one. There's nothing wrong with my 6s other than my eyes are getting worse, so a larger screen will be a welcome change for me.

You and me both, Sherry. Totally getting whatever the larger model is... #over40

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Isn't $1,400 pushing it a bit? I can't imagine it would really cost more than any other iPhone thus far.

Regardless, I personally am going to pass because I have too many iPhones as it is. I have my 6s that I got in September 2015, an SE I got in February and a 7 I got in early May. I think I'm good. :tongue:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Uh isn't this the same company that sold watches for $10K with the same internals as the ones that started at $350?

The thing is, if Apple does sell a $1400 iPhone (I think it would be ridiculous) and people buy it, who would be the dumb ones be? Apple may just decide to do it. Not because the device would be worth it, but because they know people will buy it.

Build it and they will come.

Yeah it Apple knew that wouldn’t be their primary selling watch. They knew the other ones would be their gravy. I’m sure the 15K models sold horrible so they chose not to do that again. Now iPhone is a different story. Yes they would still sell a lot at that price but not as many as previous. Not at that price. Apple likes to sell a ton of devices and break records. You won’t break records with a price point like that. Could we see 999 entry and 1199 high storage? Yes. But that is pushing as high as they would go to sell a ton of flagship iPhones.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it Apple knew that wouldn’t be their primary selling watch. They knew the other ones would be their gravy. I’m sure the 15K models sold horrible so they chose not to do that again. Now iPhone is a different story. Yes they would still sell a lot at that price but not as many as previous. Not at that price. Apple likes to sell a ton of devices and break records. You won’t break records with a price point like that. Could we see 999 entry and 1199 high storage? Yes. But that is pushing as high as they would go to sell a ton of flagship iPhones.

Agreed. However, if Apple markets their I8 or whatever it will be called, as a 'special edition' then they may be able to justify a higher price tag that would accompany it. To your point, their bread & butter will be the 'S' models (more affordable) allowing them to continue on the path of breaking sales records.

I'm sure there will be plenty of consumers lining up to grab the highest end idevice, regardless of the price point. Loyalty to the Apple brand has always been impressive.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
No, I wouldn't pay that much for a phone. However I'm not spending much time fretting about it because as I've said before that I'm not paying much attention to all the rumors. I am content to wait for the announcement of what is real vs. what is merely rumor. I am interested in getting a new phone around Christmas. So, time will tell!

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
$1400 over two years is $700 year - assuming that phone is kept for that time frame.

Sounds like a lot up front, but given how much many rely upon and use smartphones, that amount may not be as much as it seems.

A per day cost is ~ $1.91 for one year. That may be a more palatable way to look at the cost?

flappah

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
A 1400$ iPhone means Apple will charge 1650 euro for it over here and that is definitely waaaay beyond the price I'm willing to pay for it. Actually, anything over 999 euro is too much in my book. I'll probably stick to my 6s plus for yet another year then.

gazoo2010

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
If the new iPhone goes that much higher than what i paid for my 7+, I may look at the s8+ or the new Note. As Garz pointed out, Samsung's new hardware is really good and still competitively priced.

~S

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I'd really have to examine my priorities to even entertain that price point for a phone exclusive or not. And I don't want to finance it for 24 months either so for me the 8 is not promising for my bank account. If I decide to upgrade my 7 Plus then the 7s Plus would potentially be more of an upgrade path for me depending on the new features it has to offer.

anbidan

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
No way! I will not pay more than u$s 900 on a phone that is going to lower its price in a year and is going to be old in two!

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Not a chance. I'm more interested in what they will do with the 7S and 7S Plus at this point. Will those be worthy upgrades from a 7 Plus? I doubt it, but we will see.

Jose_Rey

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
No, not $1400. 1 Grand maybe. But the more I think about it, the less likely I am to get one at any of those prices. Sure, the screen will be better, but camera will stay the same and it will basically just copy features that have been on android forever, ahem, wireless charging. Resolution is staying the same still. So, yeah, not sure it's worth the cost if rumors are to be believed.

Windlasher

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
No - If Apple wants to sell rediculously priced phone they should take the same road they did with the "Apple Watch" edition. Make a premium one. and then a regular one for "the rest of us." I'm still on a 6+ because it is good enough and the 7 offered nothing I couldnt live without.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
No, not $1400. 1 Grand maybe. But the more I think about it, the less likely I am to get one at any of those prices. Sure, the screen will be better, but camera will stay the same and it will basically just copy features that have been on android forever, ahem, wireless charging. Resolution is staying the same still. So, yeah, not sure it's worth the cost if rumors are to be believed.

There will still be some features on this new phone that are new. If Apple is able to integrate TouchID under the display like that Foxconn insider said in a thread on reddit than that would be major, also the AR capabilities look insane and Android can't even touch it even though Project Tango is a thing but Google and other Android OEMs only seem interested in VR. The Edition iPhone will also have a better body:screen ratio than even the galaxy S8/+. I'm hoping it won't be that high at launch and all these rumors end up being fake news.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner