Will you still get the iPhone 8 if it ends up costing $1400?!

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Most probably.
My 7 Plus 128GB cost me $1,355.85 CAD taxes included.
So $45 more wouldn’t break my bank.

But $1,400 + tx would be a no go.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
If it's 1100+ tax, and warranty will bring it up to 1300-1400. I just don't forsee them only charging 1,000 for it.

Current plus phone starts at $769. I don’t think the new iPhone will start tremendously higher. Maybe $899. Or $949 at the very max. That might be pushing it. Will the top tier storage cost a ton? Yeah. But most people don’t need that much space.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Current plus phone starts at $769. I don’t think the new iPhone will start tremendously higher. Maybe $899. Or $949 at the very max. That might be pushing it. Will the top tier storage cost a ton? Yeah. But most people don’t need that much space.

^^^^^^^^ Seriously This ^^^^^^^^^^.
The Rumor Boys and Girls are running out of rumors for their YouTube videos. They've been reduced to making (Get Ready For It) ... "Fake" - "Fake News" ... ;)

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
The rumours are getting very annoying because they get reported as if they are facts and no one learns from them. If we believed rumours then the first iPad was going to be $1000 and it ended up being half that. I'll play along though and answer the question...

It's a tricky one because I'm not sure what feature or features would justify that to me. On the other hand I typically buy my iPhone outright, unlocked and will have kept my last 2 iPhones for 3 years each once September comes around, so if I think of the cost spread over 3 years for what is my most used computing device, then I'm not ruling out spending big on it.

The other thing is that an iPhone 7S would still be nearly $1000 and it wouldn't be the best iPhone available which kind of sucks. Earlier this year I replaced the battery in my iPhone 6 and it's as good as new. It's still a really great device. If I decide the best iPhone is too expensive and the regular model is missing something really cool (and yet is still expensive) then I might do the unthinkable and use my iPhone 6 for a 4th year!

I will say though at this stage I don't believe the rumours. Samsung can make phones with edge-to-edge screens for normal money so I don't see why Apple can't manage the same. I'm not even convinced of this alleged split strategy where they release 2 lines of new phones, one really fancy one and a 7S. How does the sales pitch of the 7S go? They'll tell you the top-end phone has some amazing new revolutionary must-have feature and say here's the 7S which is more affordable and is a great phone despite not having the revolutionary new feature that was must-have only a few minutes earlier. I wonder if putting a load of mis-information out there is Apple's strategy for combatting leaks, that there'll be so many rumours that the official announcement will still be a surprise

jimpilot

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I think they will be just under $1,000 U.S. for the smaller model and around 1150 for the bigger model. There is a point of diminishing returns and Apple seems to be expert at saying just under it

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I will say though at this stage I don't believe the rumours. Samsung can make phones with edge-to-edge screens for normal money so I don't see why Apple can't manage the same. I'm not even convinced of this alleged split strategy where they release 2 lines of new phones, one really fancy one and a 7S. How does the sales pitch of the 7S go? They'll tell you the top-end phone has some amazing new revolutionary must-have feature and say here's the 7S which is more affordable and is a great phone despite not having the revolutionary new feature that was must-have only a few minutes earlier. I wonder if putting a load of mis-information out there is Apple's strategy for combatting leaks, that there'll be so many rumours that the official announcement will still be a surprise

S8/s8+ isn't "normal" it's still overpriced. Apple needs profit margins to be good and charging a reasonable price doesn't align with that. I'm pretty convinced just because of who said it. Min has a extremely accurate rumor reporting. He has given us 75% of what the next iPhone will have and he's been right everytime. Nothing is past apple, and Tim Crook has even said rumors have put a dent in sales. If the alleged rumors had not of been true Tim wouldn't have made a comment about it. So now they have ex military hunting down people who give leaks lmao.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
S8/s8+ isn't "normal" it's still overpriced. Apple needs profit margins to be good and charging a reasonable price doesn't align with that. I'm pretty convinced just because of who said it. Min has a extremely accurate rumor reporting. He has given us 75% of what the next iPhone will have and he's been right everytime. Nothing is past apple, and Tim Crook has even said rumors have put a dent in sales. If the alleged rumors had not of been true Tim wouldn't have made a comment about it. So now they have ex military hunting down people who give leaks lmao.

Normal and overpriced aren't mutually exclusive. The S8 is normal in the sense that it's in the same price bracket as current premium smartphones. Tens of millions of devices sell for $700+ each year so I'd say the price is pretty normal.
This thread is speculating about a new super-premium iPhone in the $1400 range; that definitely wouldn't be normal. As for whether any or all of them are overpriced, that is a different question entirely and each of us will probably have differing opinions about where the line between fair and over-priced comes based our personal budgets and other factors. The fact that I can probably afford $1000 for a new phone, love having the latest gadgets and yet think I might keep my iPhone 6 for a 4th year suggests that I agree with you that the prices are getting out of hand. Sadly as long as people keep buying, Apple and Samsung will keep pushing the prices up and they'd be stupid not to do so.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

I have and s8+ and an iPhone 7 plus. Basically priced about the same. The hardware and specs on the s8+ murder the 7 plus. I disagree the s8+ is over priced. You get a lot for your money.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Normal and overpriced aren't mutually exclusive. The S8 is normal in the sense that it's in the same price bracket as current premium smartphones. Tens of millions of devices sell for $700+ each year so I'd say the price is pretty normal.
This thread is speculating about a new super-premium iPhone in the $1400 range; that definitely wouldn't be normal. As for whether any or all of them are overpriced, that is a different question entirely and each of us will probably have differing opinions about where the line between fair and over-priced comes based our personal budgets and other factors. The fact that I can probably afford $1000 for a new phone, love having the latest gadgets and yet think I might keep my iPhone 6 for a 4th year suggests that I agree with you that the prices are getting out of hand. Sadly as long as people keep buying, Apple and Samsung will keep pushing the prices up and they'd be stupid not to do so.

While all of this is speculation, your last sentence is fact. As long as people keep paying these high prices, they'll keep selling them at high prices.
It's just like cars. They make most of their profits on the "add ons", like leather seats, entertainment systems, wheels, etc. You think you need them because they're cool, so get ready to overpay. In the end, it doesn't get you anywhere any better than a basic vehicle.
This is all just my opinion and other people can spend their money any way they wish.

nikkimd11

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Definitely will not pay that much for an iPhone. I would love to have all the latest features when I upgrade, currently on a iPhone 6s, but I just can't see myself paying that for a phone. It's crossed my mind to get a Samsung S8 but I've always had an iPhone and I like iOS, don't really want to switch to android. So I guess I'll just get the 7s.

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I am ready to take a deep plunge into iOS. But, I just cannot pay that much for any phone. If the iPhone 8 is that much then I will look hard at the 7S. Not what I need then, I will go with either the Samsung Note 8 or the Google Pixel2 XL. Then again if the IPhone has what I need then I might just pull the so-called trigger and buy it anyway. I'm really pressed to buy a phone that cost more than a MacBook Pro or iPad Pro. Other than the custom chip that Apple uses most of the phone is outsourced parts that are used by many other OEMs. So back to the beginning of this post. I don't mind companies making money. In fact I love for companies that offer great products and services to make a profit. I, though don't like price gouging.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
Definitely will not pay that much for an iPhone. I would love to have all the latest features when I upgrade, currently on a iPhone 6s, but I just can't see myself paying that for a phone. It's crossed my mind to get a Samsung S8 but I've always had an iPhone and I like iOS, don't really want to switch to android. So I guess I'll just get the 7s.

Exactly my thoughts I will be taking a real hard look at the 7s for the new features and cost factor for a upgrade .

seanpr

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
The rumours are getting very annoying because they get reported as if they are facts and no one learns from them. If we believed rumours then the first iPad was going to be $1000 and it ended up being half that. I'll play along though and answer the question...

It's a tricky one because I'm not sure what feature or features would justify that to me. On the other hand I typically buy my iPhone outright, unlocked and will have kept my last 2 iPhones for 3 years each once September comes around, so if I think of the cost spread over 3 years for what is my most used computing device, then I'm not ruling out spending big on it.

The other thing is that an iPhone 7S would still be nearly $1000 and it wouldn't be the best iPhone available which kind of sucks. Earlier this year I replaced the battery in my iPhone 6 and it's as good as new. It's still a really great device. If I decide the best iPhone is too expensive and the regular model is missing something really cool (and yet is still expensive) then I might do the unthinkable and use my iPhone 6 for a 4th year!

Isn't that kind of what they did with the iPad?

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Isn't that kind of what they did with the iPad?
I'm not sure which bit of my post you mean? The bit about splitting the line perhaps? If so I see the similarities but the difference with the iPad is the lesser model is actually quite cheap (by Apple standards) whereas with a possible iPhone 7S and 8 dual release then the 7S would be missing the cool new feature and yet still be a long way from inexpensive. I'm certainly not saying they might not do it anyway but as a consumer it would make me stop and think about what to do this autumn (the last time Apple made me think about a purchase was when they released the expensive touch bar MacBooks and I bought a PC instead so I'm not just someone who moans and buys the new Apple product anyway, I'll do what's right for me)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox