Will you still get the iPhone 8 if it ends up costing $1400?!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
If the cost of the next iPhone is anywhere near what the rumors are, then I'm rocking the 7+ for a long time. And if future devices are the same or more, then it's back to Android Central I go.

Jose_Rey

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Well, the latest rumors point to that Touch ID under the screen not happening. So, assuming it doesn't, then it'd be harder for me to justify it. I use Touch ID all the time and Apple going towards face scanning instead of that would make it difficult to unlock the phone while driving or shopping. I don't want to be looking weird while staring down at my phone to use Apple Pay.

As for AR, I'm more interested in VR. Hence, why I care a bit more about the resolution of the iPhone. It'd make more realistic while looking at VR content. I had a PS Vita that had AR, didn't much care for it. VR is more immersive, though the few times I've tried it, I got a little headache.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I think the rumors might have missed something. They may sell exclusively 256GB or 256 & 512, but price is $100 or $200 higher than 7S+.
So a 7S+ 256GB is $969, then 8 would be $1069 for 256GB, Just not sell a $969 or $869 model. There's your $1000 iPhone.
Or maybe round up to $1100 for 256GB, and $1200 for 512GB?

I just think they will keep the price high by eliminating low storage SKUs in order to limit demand while bumping the 8 up by about $100.

So if the 8 is $100-$150 more than the equivalent 7S+, I'll think about it.

Either way I'm waiting 3 months after launch to see how it goes. No preordering.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Most probably.
My 7 Plus 128GB cost me $1,355.85 CAD taxes included.
So $45 more wouldn’t break my bank.

But $1,400 + tx would be a no go.

Actually if it was $1,400 USD it would be roughly $1,900 CAD + tax so around $2,100 all in after taxes, before any accessories and AppleCare+, etc. That would be utterly insane.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely not. The S8 and S8+ are going for $450 and $550 right now and the iPhone 8 is reportedly going to have similar features as those devices. Apple will have no reason to justify the high costs of the iPhone 8 when the S8s have similar specs and cost hundreds of dollars less.

dcunited08

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Nope, the Plus size is as expensive as I will go. I find it interesting only a 1/3 or so here are saying they will get the 7s instead, most will stick with what they have or maybe go to Android. Who typically upgrades every year? Could you afford to upgrade to the expensive one next year as well?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Nope, the Plus size is as expensive as I will go. I find it interesting only a 1/3 or so here are saying they will get the 7s instead, most will stick with what they have or maybe go to Android. Who typically upgrades every year? Could you afford to upgrade to the expensive one next year as well?

I think the numbers are skewed because this thread is working under an assumption that the iPhone 8 will cost $1,400. My assumptions:

1. It won’t be called iPhone 8. Apple is very good at marketing. They’re not going to harm sales of the supposed 7s by releasing an 8 and making the 7s seem outdated the moment it’s released. Also, they don’t want to market the “Pro” model as iterative, which is what the current numbering scheme does.

2. It won’t cost $1,400. Will it cost more than any iPhone ever released? Absolutely. Will it cost twice the amount of the entry-level 7s? Doubtful.

To answer your questions, i upgrade annually and I can absolutely afford to upgrade to the expensive one this year. Does it mean I will? I don’t make that call until I know exactly what I’m getting into. I’ll know in September after Uncle Timmy stands on stage and gives me the details.

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I think the numbers are skewed because this thread is working under an assumption that the iPhone 8 will cost $1,400. My assumptions:

1. It won’t be called iPhone 8. Apple is very good at marketing. They’re not going to harm sales of the supposed 7s by releasing an 8 and making the 7s seem outdated the moment it’s released. Also, they don’t want to market the “Pro” model as iterative, which is what the current numbering scheme does.

2. It won’t cost $1,400. Will it cost more than any iPhone ever released? Absolutely. Will it cost twice the amount of the entry-level 7s? Doubtful.

To answer your questions, i upgrade annually and I can absolutely afford to upgrade to the expensive one this year. Does it mean I will? I don’t make that call until I know exactly what I’m getting into. I’ll know in September after Uncle Timmy stands on stage and gives me the details.

Do we know when in September? It usually is the second week of the month right?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Do we know when in September? It usually is the second week of the month right?

iPhone 7 was announced on September 7th and the few before that were announced on the 9th or 10th. That said, there’s been no indication yet of when it will happen this year. We should know soon enough!

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
iPhone 7 was announced on September 7th and the few before that were announced on the 9th or 10th. That said, there’s been no indication yet of when it will happen this year. We should know soon enough!

Yeah can't wait! The suspense is killer. So close yet so far away. Don't think I ever rushed the month of August this much before in my life!

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah can't wait! The suspense is killer. So close yet so far away. Don't think I ever rushed the month of August this much before in my life!

Haha right?! I’m so sick of EverythingApplePro’s iPhone 8 leak and feature dump videos every three days. Just give me the real thing already!!

popkurn611

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
Haha right?! I’m so sick of EverythingApplePro’s iPhone 8 leak and feature dump videos every three days. Just give me the real thing already!!

I must say the two other colors are absolutely hideous. The black is the only one I'd consider. If it wasn't for the compact size of the housing with that large display I'd be skipping out. I love my 7 plus just not in love with its large clunky size. That's really the top reason I'd get the 8.

dcunited08

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site

I agree, it won't be the iPhone 8. My guess is 10 years is a good point to move to year release versions similar to the Mac but the 8 is a good alias until we know. I expect $1200+ because they will want to price it well above the highest iPhone 7s (not real name most likely) configuration.

Will people upgrade every year at this price? If it is at this price, do you see buying one again next year?