What say you, is the iris/facial scanner the way to go?

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
There seems to be more and more reports coming out online, about Touch ID. In particular, it might not be part of the iPhone 8 - of course, right now, no one knows for sure.

However, some reports are stating that they, Apple, will move towards an iris/facial scanning option, over Touch ID. I guess with Apple trying to go 'button-less', this could be partly the reason. I don't know this for a fact, merely speculating.

Anyway, my issue is this. As a Black guy, using facial recognition simply won't work for me. It is bad enough as it is when I go to get a driving license photo, or something like that, and more light is needed to get a decent photo.

I had the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus, for about a week, before returning it (issue with the Base Band). And, just for the sake of testing, I tried the iris/retina scanner. Let's just say it took too many attempts.

What say you, is the iris/facial scanner the way to go? Surely is doesn't mean because one giant (Samsung) did it, that Apple need to follow suit, right?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Don’t compare the adaptation of tech from other brands with Apple.
I have yet to see Apple failing in adapting a new technology in their mobile devices. If and when they do it, they do it right.

And no matter what skin color you have, it will work.

The amount and the volume of in which the rumors are coming have nothing to do with those rumors to be true.

For all you know those articles and people are just trying to get some screen time.

My credo is, the earth is not round until Apple says it’s round. Heck, my name is not even Tartarus if Apple doesn’t officially announce it.

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
LOL - I like that last paragraph...!!!

I have yet to see Apple failing in adapting a new technology in their mobile devices. If and when they do it, they do it right.

The amount and the volume of in which the rumors are coming have nothing to do with those rumors to be true.

For all you know those articles and people are just trying to get some screen time.

My credo is, the earth is not round until Apple says it’s round. Heck, my name is not even Tartarus if Apple doesn’t officially announce it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What say you, is the iris/facial scanner the way to go? Surely is doesn't mean because one giant (Samsung) did it, that Apple need to follow suit, right?

I wouldn’t say that it’s the way to go because I see it as the next logical step in regard to security. Still, some people would say that it’s overkill for the typical smartphone user.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I agree with this. Apple generally doesn’t do something unless they can do it right, and they’re not going to release a major feature unless they can rest assured that it’s not going to discriminate against certain ethnicities.

Facial recognition and no TouchID are just rumors at this point but I can’t help but take it at least a little seriously considering the source. Ming-Chi Kuo is probably the only source out there that gets it right. He has an excellent track record.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Samsung included a fingerprint scanner on the S8 - on the rear of the phone. Even if Apple do add and iris or facial scanner, they won't necessarily drop the fingerprint scanner.

RECON1

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I don’t believe it’s fully the way to go yet. As usual, Apple likes to do sort of a trail run first. Maybe they’ll put it in the next iPhone as an added feature, but still have Touch ID.
Yes, Apple you can argue that Apple doesn’t do something unless they can do it right (as others have said here already) but I think there’s still to many hurdles to overcome and it’s still too new of a tech/feature to just fully implement it.

Just my thoughts

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think it will be nice to have in addition to, I just see it being more of a hindrance than a time saver like touch ID. I just cannot see how it will be faster for things like apple pay than placing your finger on a home button. Maybe apple has figured this out, but will be interesting to see what they do unveil.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Agree. Remember all the rumors and even cases leaking the iPhone 5 tear drop design and then nothing? Seems to be once certain rumors start coming out (and they always leak) others jump on board and claim their "source" said the same (which who knows if they actually have a source or just piggy back off each other for the page clicks)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If it comes to fruition, it will have to be damn good because how else would you unlock that phone with an iris/face scanner in a dark room? I'm all for Apple building on top of good technology.

With all these part leaks and rumors, I still maintain my position that the OLED screen will fully be a Touch ID scanner.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
If it comes to fruition, it will have to be damn good because how else would you unlock that phone with an iris/face scanner in a dark room? I'm all for Apple building on top of good technology.

With all these part leaks and rumors, I still maintain my position that the OLED screen will fully be a Touch ID scanner.

Nobody here seems to realise that it can be *both* facial/iris recognition *and* fingerprint scan. They are not exclusive. Maybe Apple will need to move the fingerprint scanner to the back (that's not necessarily a bad thing anyway), or maybe they find a way to make an invisible scanner that can be mounted on top of the display (if they really go with a "bezel-less" design).

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Apple will go that way when it can do it right. In the meantime, I don't see Touch ID going away just yet. Especially when it was just introduced to the MBP not very long ago.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

Wonder how that will work with screen protectors?

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
Some very good arguments and points here.
If Touch ID does stay, I seriously hope they DON'T move it to the back...!

I often keep my phone on my desk, and from time to time press the home button to see messages and such. Moving it to the back, would hinder this process. Plus, Touch ID is so quick...!

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Some very good arguments and points here.
If Touch ID does stay, I seriously hope they DON'T move it to the back...!

I often keep my phone on my desk, and from time to time press the home button to see messages and such. Moving it to the back, would hinder this process. Plus, Touch ID is so quick...!

This may be the price you pay for a bezel-less screen, if Apple go down that road. Maybe a bezel-less screen isn't really such a good idea...

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
My wild guess is the scanner wouldn't work unless you 3D Touch the screen. The scanner could still take the pic of your print through the screen protector.

That's just me throwing something at the wall.

That makes sense. I could see a lot of upset people if they weren't able to put a screen protector on to cover the screen.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Aside from TouchID (Which they knocked out of the park), what new tech have they adopted recently that leads us to this conclusion? Siri certainly wasn't done right as they released that in beta. Since Tim Cook has taken over, what has Apple done that leaves us with such faith in their ability to release emerging tech in a way that sets them apart from the rest?

Android may not get everything right on the first go but at least they're trying. I can't say I'm a fan of the rumors of Apple pushing Touch ID to the side and going with facial/retina scans. Rene's recent article suggests how those options could prove better than Touch ID. I love touch ID and would have to see it go away and I'm not sure how Apple could offer a better implementation than we've seen lately.

kjung7

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Aside from TouchID (Which they knocked out of the park), what new tech have they adopted recently that leads us to this conclusion? Siri certainly wasn't done right as they released that in beta. Since Tim Cook has taken over, what has Apple done that leaves us with such faith in their ability to release emerging tech in a way that sets them apart from the rest?

Android may not get everything right on the first go but at least they're trying. I can't say I'm a fan of the rumors of Apple pushing Touch ID to the side and going with facial/retina scans. Rene's recent article suggests how those options could prove better than Touch ID. I love touch ID and would have to see it go away and I'm not sure how Apple could offer a better implementation than we've seen lately.

I agree with you. Apple has awesome ideas, but their follow through has been poor. Siri and the touchbar are prime examples. Apple Maps being another. Also, features such as Handoff could become so much more powerful, but Apple is not pushing the limits. I wish Apple would once more wow us every once in awhile. I think the last time I was truly amazed was when Apple released Touch ID for the iPhone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox