What say you, is the iris/facial scanner the way to go?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Aside from TouchID (Which they knocked out of the park), what new tech have they adopted recently that leads us to this conclusion? Siri certainly wasn't done right as they released that in beta. Since Tim Cook has taken over, what has Apple done that leaves us with such faith in their ability to release emerging tech in a way that sets them apart from the rest?

Android may not get everything right on the first go but at least they're trying. I can't say I'm a fan of the rumors of Apple pushing Touch ID to the side and going with facial/retina scans. Rene's recent article suggests how those options could prove better than Touch ID. I love touch ID and would have to see it go away and I'm not sure how Apple could offer a better implementation than we've seen lately.

AirPods for example. There is still no similar headphone set on the market with the same traits.
Their Watch is also still the leader in its own class.
Trying and succeeding are two different things and Apple manages to succeed in most of their tries. Siri may be an exception to that but doesn’t diminish Apple’s successes so far.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
AirPods for example. There is still no similar headphone set on the market with the same traits.
Their Watch is also still the leader in its own class.
Trying and succeeding are two different things and Apple manages to succeed in most of their tries. Siri may be an exception to that but doesn’t diminish Apple’s successes so far.

Eh...
Bragi honestly has a better set of truly wireless headphones. And they're sweatproof. Also read a few reviews on the Erato wireless buds and they seem to take the cake on audio quality. Apple wins due to the W1 chip allowing advantages when paired directly with an iOS device. Take AirPods and pair them with a non-iOS device, and they don't really stand ahead of the pack. I say this as someone who is in LOVE with his AirPods. But I don't think I'd use those as an example of Apple knocking something out of the park. I still suffer the occasional drop in connection and audio quality leaves a bit to be desired. Main point is there are definitely similar options out there that do the same thing. Apple just does a great job when we talk about Apple products working well with other Apple products.

Apple Watch is awesome.

Those are companion pieces though. I'm referencing ways that Apple has shown us they can implement new/cutting edge tech in iOS and truly redefine what is currently available like they did with TouchID. Within iOS...I'm personally not convinced and the notion of TouchID being replaced by facial/retina definitely concerns me.

Trying and succeeding are definitely two different things. But sometimes, it'd be nice to see Apple trying. Guess we will see what happens later this year.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Eh...
Bragi honestly has a better set of truly wireless headphones. And they're sweatproof. Also read a few reviews on the Erato wireless buds and they seem to take the cake on audio quality. Apple wins due to the W1 chip allowing advantages when paired directly with an iOS device. Take AirPods and pair them with a non-iOS device, and they don't really stand ahead of the pack. I say this as someone who is in LOVE with his AirPods. But I don't think I'd use those as an example of Apple knocking something out of the park. I still suffer the occasional drop in connection and audio quality leaves a bit to be desired. Main point is there are definitely similar options out there that do the same thing. Apple just does a great job when we talk about Apple products working well with other Apple products.

Apple Watch is awesome.

Those are companion pieces though. I'm referencing ways that Apple has shown us they can implement new/cutting edge tech in iOS and truly redefine what is currently available like they did with TouchID. Within iOS...I'm personally not convinced and the notion of TouchID being replaced by facial/retina definitely concerns me.

Trying and succeeding are definitely two different things. But sometimes, it'd be nice to see Apple trying. Guess we will see what happens later this year.

You may be right on audio quality on AirPods but it’s the going mono on single piece in ear, syncing the pairing to all associated iCloud enabled devices, the automatically pausing when you take it out and so on.

It’s the small stuff on iOS and iPhone/Watch/TV that make me happy and keeps me staying with Apple.

Apple’s grass is green enough. I don’t need to look at the neighbors backyard.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
You may be right on audio quality on AirPods but it’s the going mono on single piece in ear, syncing the pairing to all associated iCloud enabled devices, the automatically pausing when you take it out and so on.

It’s the small stuff on iOS and iPhone/Watch/TV that make me happy and keeps me staying with Apple.

I think that's my problem lol. I went swimming in the neighbors yard and found things that I LOVE that I believe Apple could have done a long time ago. But in the end, my iPhone still works better so I won't leave. I'll just instead gaze out the window and hope Apple pushes the envelope forward in the future.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I think that's my problem lol. I went swimming in the neighbors yard and found things that I LOVE that I believe Apple could have done a long time ago. But in the end, my iPhone still works better so I won't leave. I'll just instead gaze out the window and hope Apple pushes the envelope forward in the future.

Lol. On that note; I’m happy with the small inflatable bath in my backyard

kjung7

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site

THis is a great point. I guess we sometimes forget that everything Apple makes integrates with each other seamlessly. I’m chalking up my disappointment to holding Apple to high standards. Samsung is really trying hard to imitate Apple’s formula, but their hardware doesn’t just work, it requires tweaking here and there. If you’re into that it’s great, but if you want things to just work well......

afctee

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Visit site
I have to agree with @kjung7, integration with everything really helps.

Has anyone here, gadget lovers, tried the S8 and the facial recognition? What's your take on it...?

mavsguy842

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I see facial recognition as an additional authentication method, taking us a little further down the path toward Rene's dream world of ubiquitous authentication. I really like Touch ID in that I can decide whether or not to unlock my phone, or just look at notifications or widgets.

If they get rid of Touch ID I'd expect that Face ID authentication would be separated from the unlocking mechanism, with Apple adding some kind of on-screen "press to unlock" virtual button, or making the locked notifications/widgets screens the same as the pull-down notifications so we need to swipe up to go to the home screen (if authenticated) or to get to a password/PIN input screen.

smart_burro

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
If Touch ID is also included and Apple lets user choose between Touch ID, Face ID or a combination of both then I think it will be a nice feature. If they plan on not including Touch ID then I will likely just keep my iPhone 7 Plus. I highly doubt they will get rid of Touch ID though. If they were planning on it then why add it to the MacBook Pro? Having only Face ID would make in store Apple Pay purhases look ridiculous. “Hold on while I stare into my iPhone’s soul”. It would likely result in customers using Apple Pay less which would take away from, not add to Apple’s earnings.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I can see facial recognition in addition to but not in place of Touch ID because of Apple Pay.

Why does Apple Pay need touch ID? Contactless credit cards do not need touch ID. This may be why they are much more widely used than Apple or Android Pay.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Apple Pay needs Touch ID because that security system was a key element in banks approving it. Without it, that approval could be in jeopardy.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Apple Pay needs Touch ID because that security system was a key element in banks approving it. Without it, that approval could be in jeopardy.

Absolutely. I find the rumor pretty unrealistic. Apple isn’t going to release an iPhone that doesn’t include Apple Pay. If they do, I won’t be buying it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner