What would it take for you to not upgrade to the iPhone 8?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So with all the hype around the iPhone 8, what would it take for you to not upgrade to it? Price, size, looks?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Well I have the 7 Plus at the moment and the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus. What is going to keep me away from the IPhone 8 is the Note 8. Sad to say but Samsung has really done well as of late. They are going to be serious competition for Apple. Still like my 7 Plus though.

CyreneK

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Price, not paying over $1000. Size, I don't want anything bigger than the 7. Looks, if they put the fingerprint scanner on the back. All three are definite deal breakers. I'm also not a fan of the no bezel screen. I prefer to use a case. So not only will a case inhibit the screen, but what is going to protect the glass back? Sorry, but nothing I've seen or heard about the 8 impresses me thus far. Everything about these changes are impractical. Why not make the apple logo the fingerprint sensor if it has to go on the back? Why not just leave it where it is? It's iconic apple, why change it? To me, the renditions look like a cheap Android phone. I will keep my 7.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
So with all the hype around the iPhone 8, what would it take for you to not upgrade to it? Price, size, looks?
Not to upgrade.. 😃 I like this question. Normally it's always, what do you want to see next. The price would definitely be a consideration. I don't mind the price being $900 for the entry model but Apple must show us why it's worth that price. Having smaller bezels and a bigger display isn't worth $150 price bump in my books.

The next would be screen resolution. If Apple keep the same 750p screen on the smaller variant I would probably ignore the next model. We deserve a nice 1080p screen especially with AR and VR on their way to MacBooks 😃

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Price isn't really an option but I still like good value for money.
My reasons for getting one is simple as is the reason for not.... is it innovative?

The S8 took a gamble with the drastically reduced bezels and combined with fast charging it's a real winner.
Apple would at least have to match that for me to want to upgrade.
I'm not going to upgrade for a few small features.
This is why I didn't upgrade to the 7 from the 6S as it wasn't enough.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Well I have the 7 Plus at the moment and the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus. What is going to keep me away from the IPhone 8 is the Note 8. Sad to say but Samsung has really done well as of late. They are going to be serious competition for Apple. Still like my 7 Plus though.

I am interested to see what they unveil with the next note after the new design of the s8 and the disaster that was the note 7 (which everyone loved, until they blew up)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Not to upgrade.. ?????? I like this question. Normally it's always, what do you want to see next. The price would definitely be a consideration. I don't mind the price being $900 for the entry model but Apple must show us why it's worth that price. Having smaller bezels and a bigger display isn't worth $150 price bump in my books.

The next would be screen resolution. If Apple keep the same 750p screen on the smaller variant I would probably ignore the next model. We deserve a nice 1080p screen especially with AR and VR on their way to MacBooks ??????

I agree. If they are starting at $900+ the screen resolution needs to improve, along with battery, and better overall design (aka shrink the bezels). If it is something similar to the s8/g6 in terms of looks I will gladly pay more. Plus internal storage better start at 128gb for the increased cost.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If I think the price is not worth what is presented then I will not upgrade, but if I think it is then I will.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Won't take much for me. I'm sticking to iOS 10.1.1 with my 6s Plus. It has to do with magic wallpapers and several 32 bit apps I really don't want to give up. It would likely be over my budget for a phone anyways.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile would have to do away with yearly upgrades. I still have Jump On Demand, so I can just turn my phone in and get the new one. The iPhone 8 would have to have serious issues known before preorders for me not to upgrade.

Tinkernaught

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Size. After a year with my iPhone 6s Plus I'm looking to downsize. Even though the iPhone 8 purportedly will fit a larger screen in the same general size of a Plus, which would be quite nice, it's still too big for my comfort. I want to go back to something like the size of the 7 non-Plus. I *might* upgrade to the 7s instead, if I like what I see, and put off OLED for a couple of years. Or I might not upgrade at all this year.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Availability. I didn't pre-order the 7 so when I went to get it in November it was still a wait. Never ended up getting one, so holding off for the next one, whatever it's called.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I am interested to see what they unveil with the next note after the new design of the s8 and the disaster that was the note 7 (which everyone loved, until they blew up)

So am I. I can't see Samsung making the same mistake with the Note 8 as they did with the 7. The S8 Plus has proven they took their time to get it right. I'm very impressed with my S8 Plus.

alc1575

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I'm happy with my 6s and it still performs like new, so I am on the fence about upgrading anyway. The two main deciding factors for me are size and price. Occasionally I use my phone one-handed, which is why I did not go with the Plus in the first place. Something larger than that? Not for me. Also, paying $1000 or more for a phone makes me a little ill--there are other things I could be doing with that money. I am excited to see the 8 though and can't wait to read opinions from those who do upgrade.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro