What would it take for you to not upgrade to the iPhone 8?

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm personally tired of paying a lot of money for minor upgrades. I think I'm finally getting to a stage in my "Tech Life" where having the latest, greatest isn't so appealing to me anymore as well as realizing I'm paying a lot of money going from one new device to another with only minor upgrades. Apple is a master at making you/me think that the upgrades are a "must have" new addition to the iPhone. The design of the iPhone hasn't really changed in awhile, I'm not sure if we will ever get back to design changes of the past, but I like the idea of looking and seeing design changes.
With that being said, I'm going to take a long look at the iPhone Anniversary Edition (if theres such a thing), and make a sound decision on whether to upgrade or not.
I agree with this.

Especially if they raise the price, the Note 8 may become irresistible.

It would need a massive camera update for me to buy it, though. The iPhone has been pumping out over-processed, smudgy, water-color looking pictures for years now, and I'm tired of them selling great camera upgrades that deliver basically comparable output to last years (except maybe slightly brighter low light images). Not sure how they can seriously, and with a straight face, talk about their phones as if they're anything near a $300 P&S, never mind the DSLRs they keep comparing them to.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this.

Especially if they raise the price, the Note 8 may become irresistible.

It would need a massive camera update for me to buy it, though. The iPhone has been pumping out over-processed, smudgy, water-color looking pictures for years now, and I'm tired of them selling great camera upgrades that deliver basically comparable output to last years (except maybe slightly brighter low light images). Not sure how they can seriously, and with a straight face, talk about their phones as if they're anything near a $300 P&S, never mind the DSLRs they keep comparing them to.

Agree. Especially with the likes of LG and samsung pumping out phones with camera that are really starting to take better photos than the iPhone. I will be interested to see what they add to the rumored dual camera system in this years model to build upon what they put in the Plus last year.

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
Minor improvements will not make me upgrade. Not to mention I don't buy into the whole Apple marketing machine which is very good and convincing too.

BoneCollecter

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
I currently own iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone 7 + a SE as backup phone.
The 6 series bulky design is slowly growing on me and I need change,probably a bezel less models will be interesting to use and handle one hand,I am definitely going to buy iPhone 8 On spot

SandersJC1964

May 3, 2016
Visit site
The fact that A) I am perfectly satisfied with my iPhone 7; and B) I still have about a year and a half left on my DPP ($4/month due to promo) I'll most likely hold off. By the time my DPP is satisfied, the iPhone 9, or whatever it'll be called, should be released and then I'll look into upgrading. For me, the better question is "What would it take for me to upgrade to the iPhone 8".

muscleman10

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Price, not paying over $1000. Size, I don't want anything bigger than the 7. Looks, if they put the fingerprint scanner on the back. All three are definite deal breakers. I'm also not a fan of the no bezel screen. I prefer to use a case. So not only will a case inhibit the screen, but what is going to protect the glass back? Sorry, but nothing I've seen or heard about the 8 impresses me thus far. Everything about these changes are impractical. Why not make the apple logo the fingerprint sensor if it has to go on the back? Why not just leave it where it is? It's iconic apple, why change it? To me, the renditions look like a cheap Android phone. I will keep my 7.

muscleman10

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I really don't want to pay 1000 or more and I don't want anything on the back of the phone other than that 5.5 is biggest I would go beings I have an iPhone 6 Plus now

rellyrellz

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Price. Have the 7 plus and have been thinking of going to the 7 for size. Had the 6 plus and now 7 plus. Holding it one hand while laying down is getting uncomfortable and causing pain. Having a 7 sized phone but bigger size than my 7 plus is tempting. I'm hoping for 64gb around 769.

picnicmetoo

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm already a gen behind (6sPlus) but it actually does what I need, I don't use it much for photography, mostly use a camera, use an Ipad Pro 12.9 and still have an old Air if I want smaller form--plus a Macbook Pro 15". I'm not sure I need to upgrade yet. If mine handles IOS11 okay I may stick another year. (I do use it a lot with both my Airpods and Watch but would rather put my money in other devices for now).

ishikawa74

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Everything. I have the 7 Plus and it does everything I want.
I know the majority of people wants the latest model and I get all the hype, I was like that in the past, but today I kinda changed my mind and how I see the world around me. While my iPhone works and does all I need, I won't upgrade it at all. I stopped looking for convenience (which Is becoming more and more expensive) and started to look just for the needs, and my current phone fulfill them perfectly, I will stick with it until iOS is not updated anymore. But hey, it's just my point of view :)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I really don't want to pay 1000 or more and I don't want anything on the back of the phone other than that 5.5 is biggest I would go beings I have an iPhone 6 Plus now

Yes but if they put a 5.8" screen in the same size (or slightly larger body of an iPhone 7) the device would still be much smaller than the plus model yet have a larger screen.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So if the rumors about no Touch ID and going to facial recognition are true, that is going to make it interesting. I can't see it being as quick for things like apple pay that Touch Id is and could see this being a factor keeping people away from the 8 (or whatever it is called)

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Happy with my 7+. Been on it since Jan 2017. Coming from Android. I am spending enough. I like the 7+. It is solid.

kazp3r17

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Facial recognition. I had this on most of the rooted HTC devices I had owned. Even tho it was early stages, it's still something that I do not care for having as an unlock feature

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73