What would it take for you to not upgrade to the iPhone 8?

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Same reason I skipped the 7. If it has no headphone jack, I am not interested. Dumbest thing Apple has ever done, and that's saying something.

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I will probably keep my 7 for another year.

On the other hand.. this is my first iPhone and I don't know what the resell value looks like after a year, if it's good I might sell and buy the new one... uh oh.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm happy with my 7 plus. The 8 looks like it might be smaller than the plus. If that's the case I might wait till 2018 before I upgrade my stuff. The 8 doesn't look appealing to me.

Also I checked out the Samsung S8 plus today at Walmart. It doesn't look that much bigger than my 7 plus. I don't see what the big deal is about with the S8 or the plus. But to each his or her own.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm personally tired of paying a lot of money for minor upgrades. I think I'm finally getting to a stage in my "Tech Life" where having the latest, greatest isn't so appealing to me anymore as well as realizing I'm paying a lot of money going from one new device to another with only minor upgrades. Apple is a master at making you/me think that the upgrades are a "must have" new addition to the iPhone. The design of the iPhone hasn't really changed in awhile, I'm not sure if we will ever get back to design changes of the past, but I like the idea of looking and seeing design changes.
With that being said, I'm going to take a long look at the iPhone Anniversary Edition (if theres such a thing), and make a sound decision on whether to upgrade or not.

thedonp

Banned
May 19, 2017
Visit site
I'm personally tired of paying a lot of money for minor upgrades. I think I'm finally getting to a stage in my "Tech Life" where having the latest, greatest isn't so appealing to me anymore as well as realizing I'm paying a lot of money going from one new device to another with only minor upgrades. Apple is a master at making you/me think that the upgrades are a "must have" new addition to the iPhone. The design of the iPhone hasn't really changed in awhile, I'm not sure if we will ever get back to design changes of the past, but I like the idea of looking and seeing design changes.
With that being said, I'm going to take a long look at the iPhone Anniversary Edition (if theres such a thing), and make a sound decision on whether to upgrade or not.

It's a love/hate relationship. I usually wait a few months after launch to decide if I'm going to pull that trigger. Because your right it is a lot of money lol

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site

I agree with you about this. In some cases, it's necessary but in others, not so much.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I probably won't upgrade to an 8 unless there is some killer new feature that I can't live without. If it is just a styling change, and minor improvement, I will pass.

Now if there was an update to the SE (same dimensions, great battery life, but with water resistance and 3D touch, maybe bigger screen size), I would jump on that.

Rod Sprague

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
At the current price I can only afford to upgrade every 2 years. I usually buy the model before the most current release because it often goes down in price a little after the release of the next model and it usually is able to use the current iOS as well as any updates or upgrades over the next 2 years. This means I'm always one model behind but it usually means any bugs in the model I do buy have already been ironed out and any new issues with the latest release will not effect me. It's been a good policy so far and i look forward to up grading my 5s to a 7 plus soon.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I bought my 7+ in late January. It's my first iPhone. I'm very happy with it. I won't be upgrading for awhile.

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Price, not paying over $1000. Size, I don't want anything bigger than the 7. Looks, if they put the fingerprint scanner on the back. All three are definite deal breakers. I'm also not a fan of the no bezel screen. I prefer to use a case. So not only will a case inhibit the screen, but what is going to protect the glass back? Sorry, but nothing I've seen or heard about the 8 impresses me thus far. Everything about these changes are impractical. Why not make the apple logo the fingerprint sensor if it has to go on the back? Why not just leave it where it is? It's iconic apple, why change it? To me, the renditions look like a cheap Android phone. I will keep my 7.

My sentiments are pretty much the same...except the size part. I'm more excited for iOS 11 than the phone. I'll watch the keynote and decide then as I always do but I'm just not impressed by any of the leaks.

Last edited:

Aztek13

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The price would be my reason. My 6 is getting a little bit tired now and my contract is up in August so I'm definitely interested in upgrading whether it be the 8 or the 7S Plus.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Well the plus also has a much larger screen in pretty much the same size as your plus. That is what is the big deal.. More screen in a smaller footprint.

bortovic

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
So with all the hype around the iPhone 8, what would it take for you to not upgrade to it? Price, size, looks?

to be honest i dont think that apple is going to innovate very much. it will have maybe more screen area like the galaxy 8, something else bettered. i mean, there are just minor improvements and not some disruptive.
so no, i think that i wont upgrade to iPhone 8

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Not sure to be honest. I just hope it's pretty sweet. I am Android guy (as people who know me will tell you) but I don't despise Apple. I used a 6 plus for a few months and the same could happen if the 8 is sweet :). I miss iMessage.. it's pretty sweet. I also love the portrait mode on the 7 plus (lots of friends have it).

torben ibsen

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I have iPhone 6S with 128 GB. I have 309 apps on the iPhone. Only apps which are useful in one way or another. On iPhone 6S they will continue to be useful for a long time. I live in Europe. So I will keep my iPhone 6S at least until a new iPhone can work with the European GPS system, Galileo. So my iPhone 6S will be my iPhone for another 3-5 years. I do not need any of the newer hardware gimmics.

Anilu7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a 6S plus which I'm happy with because I like the larger size. If the iPhone 8 (or whatever they call it) is noticeably smaller in screen real estate it's got to be awesome somehow else. No improvement in battery, camera or screen quality over the 7+ and nah. I'll hang on for another year. I didn't get the 7+ because of the headphone jack so if this continues then Apple had better keep including an adaptor as I have expensive 3.5 mm jack earphones. Wireless charging would sway me though as that would solve the problem of charging and listening via wired headphones.