Always on display

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how many of you go back and forth with Android and iOS like myself but I found to love always on display. Not having to turn on your screen to check for missing notifications is a feature I have learn to love with my Galaxy phones I would love to see apple integrate this in the iPhone 8

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe Apple will incorporate something like that in iOS 11. We'll know soon enough.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe Apple will incorporate something like that in iOS 11. We'll know soon enough.

Hopefully, but AOD is more of a hardware limitation than a software limitation because it would kill the battery life on the existing displays. If Apple moves to OLED the game will change because black pixels can be "turned off" while keeping other pixels activated.

So not only will Apple have to evolve the feature in iOS 11 but the hardware support will need to be there as well.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully, but AOD is more of a hardware limitation than a software limitation because it would kill the battery life on the existing displays. If Apple moves to OLED the game will change because black pixels can be "turned off" while keeping other pixels activated.

So not only will Apple have to evolve the feature in iOS 11 but the hardware support will need to be there as well.

With an Watch I don't really feel the need for AOD on my iPhone.
Better yet, I don't want it. It would be very distractive for me.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
With an Watch I don't really feel the need for AOD on my iPhone.
Better yet, I don't want it. It would be very distractive for me.

My iPhone spends a good part of the day sitting on a desk and I wouldn't mind being able to glance over to get the date and/or time. What is going to bum me out is a rear facing TouchID sensor. I'm hoping Apple figures out how to keep it on the front.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I guess I will get a chance to check it out. I am expecting a galaxy s8 sometime in the next 2 or 3 days. I have had iPhone for several yrs now so I am actually looking forward to the change. My ip7 is going in the drawer until it's time to trade it in on the next iphone.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have had devices with AOD but always thought why do I need that. I can pick up my phone press a button and voila my info is there. I turn off any alerts from displaying on the lock screen anyways so if someone picked up my phone they won't see much.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I have had devices with AOD but always thought why do I need that. I can pick up my phone press a button and voila my info is there. I turn off any alerts from displaying on the lock screen anyways so if someone picked up my phone they won't see much.

The way I have it set up is to just show the notification icon and not the content.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
The AOD on my S8+ is kinda nice. Personally I prefer Raise to Wake though. Especially since I have an Apple Watch.

erasat

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I guess I will get a chance to check it out. I am expecting a galaxy s8 sometime in the next 2 or 3 days. I have had iPhone for several yrs now so I am actually looking forward to the change. My ip7 is going in the drawer until it's time to trade it in on the next iphone.

Just remember to give it a fair try, you can't go that route expecting the other phone to behave as an iPhone or just missing iMessage and/or FaceTime, if you go knowing all the PROS and CONS it's a lot different.

Look for iMore's sister forums (Android Central) and look for all the threads about how to migrate from an iPhone to any Android and it will make a lot of difference in the process.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I would certainly enjoy a feature similar to Windows Phone's Glance, but Always on Display? No thanks, that HAS to be a battery killer...

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I would have said yes to this for an iPhone months ago. But now I have a watch to show me notifications so I can take it or leave it.

erasat

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I would certainly enjoy a feature similar to Windows Phone's Glance, but Always on Display? No thanks, that HAS to be a battery killer...

Well may be a battery killer for an LCD display but not for an OLED display, definitely not for the S8, difference with it on or off is less than 5% in a full working day.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I would be down with an optional AOD display with reduced function (like Motorola does it) with just time and notifications, and the time is faint. Also with the Moto feature, you swipe or wave your hand over the device to get it to wake and show you your notifications.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It would be cool but I don't really need it personally. My watch fills the void this would attempt to fill.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site

I was just about to say this. If SOT (screen on time) is around 4 hours for most Android devices, imagine your iPhone only lasting till 12pm in the afternoon and then it's down to 0% and back to 0% again at 4pm. That just wouldn't work. 😃

I have heard rumours about Apple moving to OLED displays this year so I'm sure we will see it soon. There is also a 'theatre' mode or 'Dark mode' so this would also help with battery life and not just brightness levels in dark rooms.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Like others, I would be concerned that it would be detrimental to my battery life! It sounds great, but I'd rather have good battery life!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73