Galaxy S8 and S8+

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Smaller bezels and quick charging. An OLED screen would also be nice.

Though I don't use it much. But, when I do it is extremely handy, split screen. IOS has it on the iPad Pros so why not an iPhone Pro. A small stylus might also be helpful to have. Something along the Samsung Note SPen.

I have been using Android for most of my years on a smartphone. I may switch to the IPhone because I really like my MacBook.

Both Apple and Google could learn some things from each other. Competition is always good in the marketplace!

Posted via the iMore App for Android

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm waving the flag for Bluetooth 5. I'd really like to dual attach my iPhone to my car and my Jabra. Or Fitbit and car. I was about to walk away from the rep at the Samsung Experience when he said "want to see something neat?" Oh lord.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
James Falconer:
What's your take on the latest Android flagship from Samsung? Are there any features the S8 packs in that you would like to see in the next iPhone?

For me, there are a couple features Apple should include in their next iteration. I wouldn't call them 'stand out' features because they have been available on other devices for quite some time. Just some nice additions.
The first thing is Bluetooth 5.0. This is a brand new version with a bevy of new features. Most noticeably the increased range and speed. :)
The next thing i would like to see is slimmer bezels. Now, i don't want Apple to go crazy and try out do Samsung with even less bezels, but just trim down the top and bottom of the iPhone to make the overall footprint smaller and not just increase the screen size :)
Another nice to have would be wireless charging. Ill admit, I'm not too fussed on this but I'm sure some will love it. Lastly, and possibly the most important. I would love it if Apple started proving AMOLED displays. With a higher contrast ratio, it will just take the iPhone screen to the next level.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Other than seeing the devices in commercials, I really haven't paid any attention to them. They do look good, though....

Michael#IM

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to get a S8 in the coming weeks to replace my iphone 7, the day of buying iphones are coming to an end for me especially since my girlfriend got a S7 edge that i play with regulary just a different level of a phone. Apple are ripping us off with old tech phones at premium prices they just won't upgrade their hardware. Yes a rumour of a iPhone 8 is coming but it will be tall order to hope that it will come close to the S8 and even if it does it will fall behind again in the next couple of years. Other rumours are they will be bringing out a 7s FFS move on apple from the "S"

People say android is crap compared to ios but playing with my girlfriends edge it's not that bad and she loves the phone after 6 months coming from an iphone 6....

The iphone is a good phone but they are just too expensive for what they are compared to the competition. Also reviews every year on release are never that great anymore.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
As nice as it looks? I've owned 5 Samsung, and sold hundreds more to customers, and I've seen the face that starts to show about month 6-13.

Never again. It's a different level of phone, alright.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Most of these aren't exclusive to the S8/S8+, but I'd love to see them:
Multi-Window! I can't believe Apple only gave it to the iPad Pros. The Plus series screens are plenty big to take advantage of it.
Fast charging would be much better than wireless imo.
OLED display as long as it's calibrated well and not oversaturated.
HDR support. I doubt Apple would pay to license DolbyVision, but HDR 10 is being supported by most streaming services.
I really love Samsung's Video Enhancer Mode. It makes for really impressive, punchy video.
Finally smaller bezels. I wouldn't mind having the exact same design, but decreasing the dimensions by reducing the bezels on all 4 sides.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Having had so many Galaxy flagship phones, I appreciate some of the things Samsung does, but I really think people get caught up in how long a feature list is sometimes. I look for useful features. I don't care about an SD card as long as I have internal storage option. Internal storage is way more useful. I really don't want a curved display. Again not practical or useful, for me anyway. The OLED display would be nice if done well. I would also like Bluetooth 5. That's useful. Other than that I truly don't understand why people think the S8 is so far ahead of the 7 Plus. I've had the chance to use it a few times and it's a beautiful phone, but that doesn't make it a more useful phone. Now the Note 8 may be a different story. It actually has a differentiator. The S-Pen. I don't see what the differentiator is on the S8 or S8+.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I look for useful features

I do agree but while a lot of the features i have on my device i don't use (EG. NFC), its still a 'nice to have' in case one day i need it :)

The OLED display would be nice if done well. I would also like Bluetooth 5. That's useful. Other than that I truly don't understand why people think the S8 is so far ahead of the 7 Plus

Agreed, if they are able to utilise the OLED display well then picture quality should be even better than it is now! As an additional bonus, battery life will also be improved. I think Bluetooth 5 will be a definite. Its just massively better than 4.2 or 4.1 that it would be worth the investment for Apple to include it.

People are mostly raving about the Galaxy S8 because of its new bezeless display. Im sure you can admit, Apple & Google are known for large bezels at the top and bottom of their devices. Apple haven't really pushed the boundaries when it comes to bezels and I'm sure when the iPhone 7s or iPhone 8 launches, The Galaxy S8 will be forgotten about. :D

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I do agree but while a lot of the features i have on my device i don't use (EG. NFC), its still a 'nice to have' in case one day i need it :)

Agreed, if they are able to utilise the OLED display well then picture quality should be even better than it is now! As an additional bonus, battery life will also be improved. I think Bluetooth 5 will be a definite. Its just massively better than 4.2 or 4.1 that it would be worth the investment for Apple to include it.

People are mostly raving about the Galaxy S8 because of its new bezeless display. Im sure you can admit, Apple & Google are known for large bezels at the top and bottom of their devices. Apple haven't really pushed the boundaries when it comes to bezels and I'm sure when the iPhone 7s or iPhone 8 launches, The Galaxy S8 will be forgotten about. :D

I'm all for features as long as they function and don't slow the phone down. What's useful to someone else may not be useful to me so I agree it's nice to have features when they work. Choice is good.

I do think the S8 is the best looking phone out there. I don't know how anyone could argue that the iPhone looks better right now. I just don't want to see sacrifices made in performance or usability in order for Apple to "keep up". It seems like Samsung got the usability down this time and improved performance. I'm confident Apple will continue to be the gold standard in that area.

The tech geek in me wants to have an S8 as well as my 7 Plus, but this practical side of me is shutting him down. We will see how that goes when the Note 8 comes out. I've had everyone of them with the Note 7 being my favorite phone ever. I love my 7 Plus, but I would still be rocking the Note 7 if they hadn't screwed up that battery. It's going to be an exciting fall for Apple, Samsung and google fans. I'm a fan of all three so it could get expensive if I'm not careful.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
It's going to be an exciting fall for Apple, Samsung and google fans. I'm a fan of all three so it could get expensive if I'm not careful.

Whenever even there are a lot of smartphone launches close to each other my wallet always sits me down and like "RIGHT, there will be no mass diets on me this month, you hear me?!" lol Im normally fairly good when it comes to just buying one device and no matter what else comes out i stick with it and only upgrade when i need to. Otherwise, it does become vey expensive. Ive also tried to get into a habit of only purchasing devices after 1 month of them being released to see if there are any major issues. :)

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung S8 is a beautiful phone minus the OS (hate Android). The only thing I really DON'T want on the next iPhone is a fingerprint reader on the back. I really hope they figure out how to incorporate the Touch ID sensor under the display if the bezels get smaller.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Was reading this a little earlier today: Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ review: Simply two of the best | iMore

Wanted to get some thoughts from the community. What's your take on the latest Android flagship from Samsung? Are there any features the S8 packs in that you would like to see in the next iPhone?

I have been running with an S8+ for about a week now. Great phone, amazing camera, great battery life, best display of any phone out today. Still would never replace my 7+

Having said that Wireless Charging is great and don't understand why Apple hasn't done it yet. I would like to see less bezel and better display, but the wireless charging is the biggest feature I would like to see and of course.... bring back headphone jack!!!!!

erasat

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I have been running with an S8+ for about a week now. Great phone, amazing camera, great battery life, best display of any phone out today. Still would never replace my 7+

Having said that Wireless Charging is great and don't understand why Apple hasn't done it yet. I would like to see less bezel and better display, but the wireless charging is the biggest feature I would like to see and of course.... bring back headphone jack!!!!!

Agree with you 100%, but mine indeed replaced my 256GB Jet Black iPhone 7 Plus.

brian_84

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I like the S8 but it makes me think just how good an Android would have to be to make me switch because even now I'm not that interested. We do need wireless charging though Apple, come on.

Carjackd

Trusted Member
Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't use either Apple or Samsung for a hand held and to be straight up...i don't ever plan on using Samsung...although I love what Samsung has done with android ....their hardware build in my opinion has always been (for lack of better words) garbage. Just feels like a cheap piece of plastic

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2