What's the "Killer Feature" that needs to be in iPhone 8 this year?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Getting excited for the new iPhone in under 6 months. What's the killer feature that is needed in the iPhone this year?

I am really excited for wireless charging, but also would love a full sized screen (where the entire front is pretty much all screen)

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

Smaller bezels, forehead and chin thus bigger screen in smaller footprint on the Plus model

Last edited:

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

I'd really like to say bye bye to the home button in favor of more screen size.

And Bluetooth 5. I can't choose just one.

CyreneK

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Actually, nothing I can think of as far as hardware. I like the 7 the way it is. I, for one, do not want to get rid of the home button. Capacitive buttons are ugly and will make the phone look like an ugly android. I never liked an OLED screen as the colors are over saturated. Apple is classy, Samsung, is not (imho).

Software, I could suggest a few improvements. I'd like Apple Pay to be expanded to work at any credit card terminal the way Samsung Pay can. Apple Pay has too few stores in my area that take it. I'd like the ability to choose a white or black clock. Of course, none of these are deal breakers.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: What's the "Killer Feature" that needs to be in iPhone 8 this year?

I'd really like to say bye bye to the home button in favor of more screen size.

And Bluetooth 5. I can't choose just one.
I'm for the home button getting the cut, and the fingerprint scanner on the back like on my Pixel XL, and the LG G6.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm for the home button getting the cut, and the fingerprint scanner on the back like on my Pixel XL, and the LG G6.

See, I can't get my head wrapped around how I'd pick up the phone and hit the fingerprint scanner in one motion like
I do now.
I would't want that.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

See, I can't get my head wrapped around how I'd pick up the phone and hit the fingerprint scanner in one motion like
I do now.
I would't want that.
I keep my Pixel XL in my pocket and don't have any problems doing it in one motion. I find it easier than my iPhone 7 Plus which typically takes me at least two motions if it's in my pocket.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

I had the Nexus 6P and it was whip fast getting that thing opened up. The fingerprint sensor on the back is aces.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
If Apple is able to nail embedding the fingerprint sensor into the screen. That would without a doubt be the 'killer feature' :) Apple fans would overnight forget about the home button and gladly take the bigger screen space. Even if Apple bumped the price by $49 I think people would still buy!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I keep my Pixel XL in my pocket and don't have any problems doing it in one motion. I find it easier than my iPhone 7 Plus which typically takes me at least two motions if it's in my pocket.

Not for me. I would feel it's an added step to do the back ID then flip the device over to interact with it. If it's on the table I lift and my thumb falls easily on the bottom of the device and is ready for view.

But hey....vive la différence.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Not for me. I would feel it's an added step to do the back ID then flip the device over to interact with it. If it's on the table I lift and my thumb falls easily on the bottom of the device and is ready for view.

I think it would be your index finger vs thumb on the back when your hand wraps around.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
There is talk the 8 will have 3D mapping for selfies/photos and the photos will have some "depth" to them. Didn't Apple buy an Israeli tech company that was working on this augmented technology not too long ago?

I think it will set a new standard for how photos will appear and be used for various applications.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I think it would be your index finger vs thumb on the back when your hand wraps around.

Oh yeah, an index finger would be easier than a thumb.

That said, on my iPhone, I'd like it where it is. One spot to unlock and same spot for interactions. To me, best. I don't want to clutter the phone with interaction points in different locations.

If I had my ruthers, I'd keep it as is.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I did see some rumours about Apple shifting the dual cameras from horizontal to vertical. This may give some weight to @Ralph Morgotch 's comment about 3D photos.

Will this be the next 'killer feature'? Hmm, I'm not that excited about it. I would prefer to perfect photos with colour accuracy and improve low light photos before we start trying 3D stuff :)

That's just me.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site

I did see some rumours about Apple shifting the dual cameras from horizontal to vertical. This may give some weight to @Ralph Morgotch 's comment about 3D photos.

Will this be the next 'killer feature'? Hmm, I'm not that excited about it. I would prefer to perfect photos with colour accuracy and improve low light photos before we start trying 3D stuff :)

That's just me.

Imagine being in instagram and seeing the countless boring 2 dimensional photos from all the other devices and THEN you see a 3D photo of a dog that looks like it is jumping out of the screen BAM! ;).

I think it will be talked about.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

I agree that if it's laying on the table it's more difficult, but when I'm at work I put my phone face down so customers can't see the notifications...HR forbid I get a notice from POF and a customer sees it!
But 85% of the time it's in my pocket and I put it in so the screen faces inside and the charger port is pointing up and I find it easier than dealing with my iPhone when it's in my pocket. But you're right if it was face up on a table it'd be a pain!

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

Yes it's the index finger. I haven't even registered my thumbs with my Pixel XL.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh