No more home button on the S8. Fingerprint scanner (although poorly placed in my opinion) is on the back of the phone near the camera lens.

You think Apple is going to do something similar. I'd love to see the home button go away, to be replaced with a (well placed) scanner on the back of the iPhone. That's just my opinion though!
    Lee_Bo likes this.
    04-14-2017 11:13 AM
    I've never bought too much into iPhone rumors at this time of year. But the rumor of Touch ID potentially being moved to the back of the phone is something I'm paying attention to. I, one-hundred percent, am against Touch ID being on the back. I don't care what limitations having Touch ID still on the front causes. There is no possible way I can use my iPhone fluently with that sensor on the back.
    Lee_Bo, kataran and qbnkelt like this.
    04-14-2017 12:38 PM
    Touch ID on the back of iPhone means I'll stuck with my current one.
    ruger141 likes this.
    04-14-2017 12:48 PM
    I've never bought too much into iPhone rumors at this time of year. But the rumor of Touch ID potentially being moved to the back of the phone is something I'm paying attention to. I, one-hundred percent, am against Touch ID being on the back. I don't care what limitations having Touch ID still on the front causes. There is no possible way I can use my iPhone fluently with that sensor on the back.
    Agreed. While I got used to not having a button on all the Nexus devices I had, I like it on the iPhone.
    04-14-2017 12:49 PM
    The scanner on the back is a non-starter for me as well
    ruger141 likes this.
    04-14-2017 01:22 PM
    I think would be great if Apple made the home button/Touch ID scanner the Apple logo on the back of the phone. It's already placed right and makes the logo functional.
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    04-14-2017 02:06 PM
    I hope they won't place the scanner on the back of the iPhone.
    While eating, working or, really, in any kind of situation where you have to unlock your iPhone while it lays down on its back on a flat surface, it's now easy to unlock it with just the one finger.
    If they place the Home Button or fingerprint scanner at the back, unlocking will require an extra step, which I won't like.
    ruger141 and qbnkelt like this.
    04-14-2017 06:03 PM
    Raises hand in favor of the rear home button. Don't knock it until you've tried it.
    04-14-2017 07:23 PM
    Raises hand in favor of the rear home button. Don't knock it until you've tried it.
    I will oppose you in this matter until Apple actually comes with the next gen iPhone.
    Moving the back button will make unlocking the iPhone harder, not easier.
    qbnkelt likes this.
    04-14-2017 07:41 PM
    I will admit that using your phone laying on the table will take some getting used to.
    Tartarus likes this.
    04-14-2017 07:46 PM
    I will admit that using your phone laying on the table will take some getting used to.
    I still dock my phone to the air vent in my dads car and while at a traffic stop or something I unlock it to check something real quick. (Without endangering myself nor anybody). A button on the back will make this impossible. There are too many cons and fewer pros in my opinion.
    04-14-2017 07:50 PM
    ^ what he said.
    04-14-2017 10:43 PM
    ^ what he said.
    I still dock my phone to the air vent in my dads car and while at a traffic stop or something I unlock it to check something real quick. (Without endangering myself nor anybody). A button on the back will make this impossible. There are too many cons and fewer pros in my opinion.
    See, I don't expect Apple to move anything physical to the back without offering a virtual alternative to the front. I personally cringe at the idea of putting my phone against a car vent. However if Apple moves the home button and physical TouchID sensor to rear I would expect them to add at least double tap to wake and another TouchID sensor under the screen, or the ability to easily unlock your phone. As far as in hand goes, I like the Apple logo idea because I believe that's where most people's index fingers rest when they pick up their phones. For me it's an extra step to move my thumb to the home button to unlock my phone.
    Tartarus likes this.
    04-15-2017 12:37 AM
    See, I don't expect Apple to move anything physical to the back without offering a virtual alternative to the front. I personally cringe at the idea of putting my phone against a car vent. However if Apple moves the home button and physical TouchID sensor to rear I would expect them to add at least double tap to wake and another TouchID sensor under the screen, or the ability to easily unlock your phone. As far as in hand goes, I like the Apple logo idea because I believe that's where most people's index fingers rest when they pick up their phones. For me it's an extra step to move my thumb to the home button to unlock my phone.
    My dream is for the entire screen itself to act as a Touch ID sensor whenever the lock screen is lit.
    Tartarus and Retinella like this.
    04-15-2017 09:45 AM
    My dream is for the entire screen itself to act as a Touch ID sensor whenever the lock screen is lit.
    This.
    04-15-2017 05:27 PM
    The only way I will accept a home button on the back is if we get some type of gesture to unlocked the device on the screen. A double knock like LG or some type of swipe gesture.
    04-15-2017 10:17 PM
    The fingerprint sensor on the back of the phone is so much better than having it on the front of the phone. I can understand that unlocking the phone while it's sitting on a desk can be difficult if the FPS is on the back of the phone, but I feel it's better (see: Google Pixel, LG G6, Nexus 6P). The S8's FPS is in a terrible position.
    04-15-2017 10:34 PM
    ^ what he said.
    Same here. I won't buy it.
    04-16-2017 02:28 AM
    This.
    I'll buy this!
    04-16-2017 02:29 AM
    On the one side, I think that Apple has spent so much time and effort perfecting the home button that it would be a shame to now reposition in on the back. Which would require a lot of resigning.

On the other hand, if apple does get rid of the home button and allows for some sort of sensor embedded in the screen. This will allow them to reduce the overall footprint of their devices and greatly improving useability. I don't think this would happen though. They could potentially use the fingerprint scanner thats available on the new Macbook Pros. Not sure if this is smaller than the round home button but could make the bottom chin a fair bit smaller.
    04-16-2017 03:55 AM
    I prefer physical buttons, so I hope they leave it alone.
    05-04-2017 08:45 PM
    I prefer physical buttons, so I hope they leave it alone.
    They already got rid of the physical button on the 7 series
    05-07-2017 08:05 AM
    Maybe that was Apple's transition strategy all along. Get us from pressing a home button, to just tapping a home button and then have a virtual home button. Sneaky sneaky

I still think there is an outside chance we will still see a home button in the new iPhone 7s and only on the 'iPhone Edition 5.8 inch" version will it be all screen.
    robertk328 likes this.
    05-07-2017 09:44 AM
    Maybe that was Apple's transition strategy all along. Get us from pressing a home button, to just tapping a home button and then have a virtual home button. Sneaky sneaky
    It eliminates a possible point of failure too.
    05-07-2017 11:16 AM
    The "clicking" yes, but there's still a physical button that is not on the screen to waste screen estate.
    05-08-2017 08:21 PM
36 12